June 2016 Moms
Options

Vomiting during labor?

I know it's common, and that everyone is different. BUT,I have a legitimate and seriously clinical fear of vomiting.  I know, why am I having a kid right?  But seriously, im looking for any possible helpful hints to help avoid this if at all possible. I do plan to have an epidural.  I have not had even one day of nausea this entire pregnancy, which I thank God daily for.  I had a kidney stone a couple years ago and vomited twice (before I was able to get pain meds), and have not had the stomach virus since elementary school (I'm 30).  So, just from my own history I'd say my chances are decent to be OK, but please tell me anything you experienced moms know that might help.  I know I'll get responses like just get over it, and I realize if it happens it happens but I'll be fighting it to the very end.  Sincerely, a FTM that would rather be in pain for days than vomit even once.  

Re: Vomiting during labor?

• Options
    Well I had the unfortunate experience of eating Arby's right before an emergency c so there is that... In all seriousness talk to the docs there is anti nausea meds they can give you.
  • Options
    I do plan to discuss with my OB!  Just looking for any other helpful hints.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did vomit after delivery, so I don't have any suggestions for avoiding it (talking to the doc/nurses is good advice), but I sympathize. My mom also has a severe aversion to vomiting, so even though it's not something I have a problem with myself, I get that it's a real thing. The only thing I can think to say is that your body kind of takes over during and after L&D, so even if you do vomit, you probably won't have time to worry about it -- there's so much going on. I didn't feel nauseated or know that I was going to vomit because it happened so quickly, and then it was over. I know it's not quite the same thing, but some women really stress out about the possibility that they'll poop on the delivery table, but lots of women do it and never know because providers are so used to getting it cleaned up immediately and not making a big deal out of it. (I have no idea if I did or not and ZERO interest in finding out!) Vomiting isn't quite the same since you can't really puke without noticing, but I do think with everything else that's going on, you won't have time to stress out about it if it happens.
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Getting an epidural will probably help you, especially if you don't wait too long to get it. With my first I did 12 hours of labor before I got the epi, and it was only at the end that things got so intense on my body that I started throwing up. After getting the epidural I didn't get sick again. My second came fast and I didn't have nausea, so there's no way to know for sure. 
    Your divylr might be able to provide something on your circumstance. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    And I totally get you on the vomiting. I vomited during my section (will never eat Arby's again) and for the next 10 hrs afterward so I couldn't go see my girls in the NICU until 12 hrs after birth. The in all seriousness was more about my feeble joke I started with lol.
  • Options
    I know it's common, and that everyone is different. BUT,I have a legitimate and seriously clinical fear of vomiting.  I know, why am I having a kid right?  But seriously, im looking for any possible helpful hints to help avoid this if at all possible. I do plan to have an epidural.  I have not had even one day of nausea this entire pregnancy, which I thank God daily for.  I had a kidney stone a couple years ago and vomited twice (before I was able to get pain meds), and have not had the stomach virus since elementary school (I'm 30).  So, just from my own history I'd say my chances are decent to be OK, but please tell me anything you experienced moms know that might help.  I know I'll get responses like just get over it, and I realize if it happens it happens but I'll be fighting it to the very end.  Sincerely, a FTM that would rather be in pain for days than vomit even once.  
    I am so with you on this and have already mentioned it to my OB.  Like you said though, I know that I have the bare minimum of control over this.  I think if I can avoid getting induced it may help.  Nothing has scared me more than hearing about my sister trying to crawl back from the bathroom, puking and having a contraction all at the same time.  NO THANK YOU!  I will take any med to avoid puking!
  • Options
    I get nauseous super easy, especially from pain meds.  So they put anti- nauseous meds in the IV.  I didn't throw up but I still got really nauseous and almost felt like it would have been better if I could just throw up.  But my DH kept feeding me ice chips, so I don't think that helped.
  • Options
    I threw up after delivery when my BP dropped severely (I almost needed a blood transfusion).  This time I will tell the nurse to give me something for nausea. I had blocked all this out until now I did have a Epi so it wasn't from pain. 
  • Options
    I didn't have an epidural before I ended up with a c-section. I definitely threw up a lot during labor but not after I got the block and was taking to the OR. Everyone is different, but I was there for my sister's entire labor and delivery and she had an epidural and didn't throw up or show any sign of being nauseous at all. So there are two contrasting experiences. 
  • Options
    I completely forgot that I threw up a few hours after delivery last time. I had an epi and felt good during labor and even delivery. No rhyme or reason, but if you do, know that it really is an afterthought in the grand scheme! Good luck, hope your dr can help with meds! 
  • Options
    My first pregnancy, I threw up everyday til I was about 7 months.
    Didn't throw up once at delivery, didn't even feel nauseous. I had an epidural but even prior to that I didn't feel sick.
    I have a very sensitive stomach. No joke, I throw up several times a year due to eating something too spicy, motion sickness, ect...
    My sister on the other hand who never gets sick, her whole pregnancy was a walk in the park, had terrible back labor when she went to the hospital and couldn't stop throwing up. I believe they even had to put Zofran in her i.v. She also had an epidural but the vomiting continued til she gave birth.
  • Options
    I threw up the first 7 hours of labor. That's how i knew it was the real deal. Never had nausea or vomiting the entire pregnancy. It was all new to me. They had me walking around the hospital to get things moving & i threw up in every elevator garbage can & bathroom sink. Your body just takes over & you don't really have time to think or freak out. Good luck!
  • Options
    Rosehip15Rosehip15 member
    edited April 2016
    I had no nausea or vomiting during my long & difficult labors (one with an epidural, one without, both with pitocin).  But I agree, your body takes over, you'll be in the throes of labor, and there's just no turning back.  You'll survive it.
  • Options
    I felt nauseous a bit but never got sick. I was in labor for a looooong time haha. I would suggest you eat light/healthy; once labor starts you're body is going to want to "clear out" so to speak. Homemade chicken broth, salad, some light protein is good to eat. I did eventually get hungry but i only had a grilled chicken sandwich.

I will tell you if you're in active labor, you won't even care haha, so try not to worry!!
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Options
    I feel the same way. I HATE throwing up! Hate it. And I don't like the thought of throwing up in front of everyone. But just like pooping, I've given in that it's one of those things that may happen beyond my control. I've become ok with it because there are far more important things to worry about. 
  • Options
    Preggie pop drops.  If you feel like you're gonna be sick sucking on these candies can help.  I knew a girl who had HG all the way until she delivered and she said it was the only thing that kept her from vomiting while in active labor.
  • Options
    Talk to your OB, avoid any heavy food once you go into labor and pack snacks in your bag that will help (ginger ale, Preggo pops, etc), and request anti-nausea meds 
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    I threw up 5 or 6 times during the transition stage of labor (before I got my epidural).  My guess is it was just my body reacting to the pain of labor intensifying because I had not eaten anything in over 12 hours at that point and was not even really feeling nauseous before the vomiting started.  I would think getting the epidural a little sooner might have prevented that, but there is obviously no way of knowing for sure.  So my only advice would be to not wait too long to get the epidural (if you are planning on getting one at all that is)!
  • Options
    I feel like there was another post on this in the last few months. Maybe hit the search function.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I searched by didn't come up with anything.  Maybe I just didn't search right.  Thanks for all the input!!
  • Options
    With my first, I had an epidural and needed Pitocin. Not sure if it was a reaction, but I vomited about 12 hours into my 24 hour labor and again at about 15 hours in.  The nurses acted like it was totally normal.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I wish I had some advice,  but I threw up both times. With DD1 I had eaten beef stew for dinner and then my water broke that evening and it all came back up at the hospital. With my c-sec the meds they gave me made me nauseous, but other than the nasty drink they made me take, I was just dry heaving since I had to fast before surgery. I was holding DD2 while I was getting sewn back up and yelled at someone to take her because I was going to heave again. So I'm expecting it again this time, though as I get closer to my due date, I'll be staying away from heavy foods. 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    alitriaalitria member
    edited April 2016
    I threw up right around transition as well. I'd been at the hospital because I thought I was in labor so I hadn't eaten.  They told me it wasn't real labor and sent me home.  I was starving and exhausted so we ended up getting Burger King on the way home because it was open and easy.  Turns out, they were wrong and I woke up a few hours later heading into transition and threw up all of my dinner.  @Tawny87, I totally hear you on never eating Arby's again, it wasn't a good scene.  However, I was honestly relieved because I instantly felt so much better it was worth it.  At the time, it was pretty far down my list of concerns and once the EMT's showed up a few minutes later, they shot me so full of Zofran it's a wonder I've ever thrown up again.  If you're so anxious about puking it's going to make labor more difficult, talk to your dr ahead of time and make it clear how much of a big deal it is.  If getting some reassurance about that one thing will help you to relax in labor, they have a few different options they should be willing to use to give you comfort. I specifically didn't want an epidural because any type of anesthesia usually makes me puke for hours and I really didn't envision the first few hours of my son's life involving my husband holding my hair back instead of our baby but I'm clearly not typical in my reaction. 
  • Options
    Lurking from May. 
    I hate to say it but I vomited uncontrollably during labor and pushing due to the epidural.   I know it was from the epidural because I wasn't nauseated at all until I started feeling the effects of the epidural. :-( wish I had better news to contribute. The one plus is that my doctor said all of the vomiting made me have a pretty fast labor (in a FTM and my labor was 7 hours total including pushing)
  • Options
    I was induced with Pitocin, but did not have an epidural. I was nauseous, and may have vomited a few times during labor, but I can't remember specifics...

... until I was getting prepped for my c-section and I puked on my doctor. THAT, I remember.  :D They gave me something for the nausea, and I didn't throw up again until I was in recovery. I know this isn't much help, but outside of talking to your doctor in preparation, you're just going to have to brace yourself that it could happen. 
  • Options
    I vomited a LOT during labour. Like, every 10 minutes or more for 10 hours. I was not at a hospital as I was attempting a natural birth with a midwife at a birth centre, but I had to be transferred to one because none of the meds available to her would stop it. As soon as I got to the hospital I was put on IV fluids and IV Zofran and then stopped vomiting completely. I later had an epidural but the vomiting had already stopped at that point because the Zofran had taken care of it so effectively. So if it does become an issue for you, just request nausea meds. The epidural may actually make you vomit but that is not a terribly common reaction.
  • Options
    Oh, and it seems people with back labour (posterior baby) are more likely to vomit, so if you look up methods/exercises to encourage proper baby positioning (check out spinningbabies.com) that will likely help, and make labour go a lot more smoothly in general.