May 2016 Moms

3+ Mommas - When did milk come in?

Mommas! I've been stressing a little about when my milk will come in this time around. With my daughter, it took 5 days before my milk came in. We had a induction turned c-section and was in the hospital from Thursday-Monday, and my milk came in Tuesday after we were home if I can remember correctly. It made for a pretty stressful 5 days, with us freaking out that she wasn't getting anything to eat, she was screaming her head off, etc. We asked to supplement with formula, even though no one (peds/nurses/etc) never told us we should. She was 10 lbs at birth, and got down into the 9's, but not to a point where they were concerned about her weight loss. We, as first-time parents though, were a bit panicked :) We're having a repeat c-sec this time around and I'm worried about the same thing happening.

So my question is - did your milk come in earlier with subsequent pregnancies or around the same time as the first?

We're not first-time parents this time, so I'm hoping we don't panic as easily as we did last time and just have faith that the baby is hopefully getting sufficient colostrum and that the milk will come when it comes! Just curious if your body sort of "knows" what to do so it happens quicker?
Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
BabyFruit Ticker
Anniversary

Re: 3+ Mommas - When did milk come in?

• I don't know what the "norm" is, but each of mine was a little later. First pregnancy Day 3 and then more like Day 5 or 6 for the next three. I supplemented after breast feeding for the first few days because I always felt that baby was "hungry" and not being filled up by the colostrum the nurses kept saying the baby was getting. 
  • I had a c section with my first as well and with my rcs with my second my milk came in day 3...
  • Loading the player...
  • edited April 2016
    Not a 3 plus mom but mine took days to come in but it wasn't a problem.  Baby had colostrum.  Diaper output was where it needed to be. 
    I had a stressful PP period with family from both sides playing baby party and not letting us rest and recover after C-section as a family. 
    So stress might have come into play when it took days (4 or 5 if I remember correctly).

• My first my milk came in day 5, and my second in came in day 3...so for me milk came in sooner..I will see with this kid!
  • First- 3rd day. Second- 2.5 days! I was surprised! And both were csections!
  • It's so crazy how it varies so widely by person! I'm hoping I'm in the camp that it comes in sooner ;) Thanks mommas!
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I don't remember exactly but it wasn't more than a day or two after I came home so I'm guessing day 3 or 4. I also don't remember a difference between DD1 and DD2
  • Day 3 for both