September 2016 Moms
Options

Glucose test countdown

anyone dreading it?? Told I'll do it at 24weeks good week for viability crappy for sipping liquid Gatorade wanna be yuck
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Glucose test countdown

• Options
    Honestly, i'm not dreading the test much...i don't remember the stuff tasting THAT bad...i think i also got it chilled which in my opinion helped...i'm just looking forward to (hopefully) only having to take the 1 hour test...for some reason with my first pregnancy my doc made me go straight to the 3 hour test (i had transferred services mid pregnancy due to moving...and i think i took the test around 26/28 weeks so maybe that's why...or maybe my old doc was just an ass)...the worst part for me was having to get stuck in the same spot at least twice on each arm! Now that was painful.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm dreading it, but I still have the a/s to get through first! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My next appointment has 2 start dates to it, so my guess is that I will be drinking the Glucola. I actually FREAKING LOVE GLUCOLA!!  I have a bit of a sweet tooth, and ended up failing the 1 hour test last time, and got to drink the EXTRA sugary glucola for the 3 hour test and ended up passing 3 of the 4 tests.  I took the 1 hour failure pretty harshly last time, going easier on myself this time and know that regardless of passing/failing one or both tests, I can handle whatever that throws at me.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Because diabetes runs in my family, I did this at 10 weeks. On top of miserable morning sickness. It was so hard to chug and keep it down. Plus sitting in the waiting area of the lab I felt like everyone was watching me. I'm sure they weren't but it felt like it! 

Have to repeat at 24 weeks. Bummer. I must say that the flavor has improved over 15 years. The old stuff tasted like cherry or grape cough syrup. I definitely would have thrown that up! 
  • Options
    I had the orange for both my 1 hour and 3 hour. It tasted like that juice that comes in little barrels that I had at friends' houses as a kid, only a bit thicker. Or like a melted popsicle. So much yum
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    AnnaS930 said:
    I had the orange for both my 1 hour and 3 hour. It tasted like that juice that comes in little barrels that I had at friends' houses as a kid, only a bit thicker. Or like a melted popsicle. So much yum
    @AnnaS930 OMG Memory flashback!!!!  I forgot all about those!  I loved getting those as a kid.  The orange ones were great but hated getting stuck with the purple ones
  • Options
    @LakeR2014 AGREED!! I would always puncture the foil with my teeth and suck those down. There was no hiding I'd had one when I got home because my whole mouth (and upper lip) would be dyed that color! lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Dreading it but only because of the stuff I've read here. Although I'm really not looking forward to fasting and the inevitable heartburn that will follow since all sugary things are giving me heartburn to the point of throwing up. I hope I can keep it down. 

I'm doing it at 28w but will get the glucola at the 24w appt so I'll drink it cold to see if it's not terrible.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I'm dreading it.  Last time I told them it may make me puke and asked if I could eat first and they said no.  Well, less than 2 minutes after drinking half of it I projectile vomited in my car.  I was mad because it made a huge mess and I had to redo the test.  The second time they told me to eat toast and take Zofran; they should've let me do that the first time.

This time I will eat toast first.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Dreading it but only because of the stuff I've read here. Although I'm really not looking forward to fasting and the inevitable heartburn that will follow since all sugary things are giving me heartburn to the point of throwing up. I hope I can keep it down. 

I'm doing it at 28w but will get the glucola at the 24w appt so I'll drink it cold to see if it's not terrible.
    I don't recall being told to fast for the 1 hour, just eat normally.  I did have the appointment scheduled in the morning, so I somewhat unintentionally fasted.  It is just a really sweet drink. If you tolerate sweets well, you will be fine. My doctor also sends it home with us at the 24 week appt with instructions on when to drink it. I would be annoyed if I had to drink it then sit in a waiting room for an hour. What a waste of time!

• Options
    oooh, how great would it be if you got to eat a Popsicle! why drink it if you could have a Popsicle!  Someone should invent that

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    camichael84camichael84 member
    edited April 2016
    @AlwaysAuntNeverMom Are they making you fast? I was allowed to eat when I took both the 1 hr and 3 hr (before drinking it, of course, not while waiting to get blood drawn).

I took it at 8 weeks this pregnancy to make sure the GD I had with DD was gone. It was, so I don't have to retake it until 28 weeks. Taking it at 8 weeks was the worst because I had to drink it quickly with morning sickness. The drink isn't my favorite, but it's also not the most horrible thing I've tasted. I had the fruit punch flavor, and it reminded me a lot of Hawaiian punch, just a tad sweeter (and thicker for the 3 hr). I had the orange this last time, and it tasted almost exactly the same as the fruit punch. 

• Options
    @camichael84 @marajay6 yes, they said they would give me the drink at the 24w appt and that I would have to fast for the 1 hour test. I didn't think I did because I'd gone with a girlfriend to her 1 hour test before and she stopped at McDs on the way over. But they told me they'd schedule me for 28w in the morning since I would need to be fasting. I'm not tolerating sweets well at all because of gastritis that has been worsened by pregnancy heartburn. I'm throwing up all the sweets I eat so I would love it if I could have something in my stomach before drinking it!
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
  • Options
    @AlwaysAuntNeverMom That sucks! I didn't eat much before mine because I didn't want to mess up the results, but I had a couple eggs so my stomach wasn't totally empty. I would take something with you and eat it directly after your blood draw. Can you still take some Tums before? In the hopes that it would reduce the heartburn and keep you from getting sick. 

• Options
    @AlwaysAuntNeverMom That sucks! I didn't eat much before mine because I didn't want to mess up the results, but I had a couple eggs so my stomach wasn't totally empty. I would take something with you and eat it directly after your blood draw. Can you still take some Tums before? In the hopes that it would reduce the heartburn and keep you from getting sick. 
    They prescribed Zantac so I'll ask if I can take it an hour or so before. FX they tell me I don't have to fast when they're giving me the instructions at the next appt!
  • Options
    I can't say that I LOVED it, but it wasn't that bad either. Where I live we take ours at the blood draw lab so the worst part is the sitting around for an hour in a waiting room. The juice really isn't so bad, tastes like flat orange pop to me. Last pregnancy my doc said eat something light and do it in the morning. She actually suggested a plain bagel with just some butter, so that's what I had. Passed with flying colors only to be told later a bagel was like one of the worst things that I could have had... Ooh well. I plan to do the same thing again this time since it worked last time - history has a way of repeating it's self right? I'll be taking mine in 3 weeks. Good luck to us all. 
  • Options
    I've already had the 1 and 3hr test and it in my opinion is foul. With DD I couldn't complete the 3hr because I became violently ill.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    photo its20a20girl_zpsy8rztyxtjpg