April 2016 Moms

Engorgement!

So I did try and search and really couldnt find much. I am dealing with an over supply but my body doesnt respond good to a pump. So basically I am engorged every moment of the day and really bad at night due to baby sleeping longer stretches. I am only 1 week postpartum. It has been 4 days of pain, being soo uncomfortable I cant take it. I have tried lavender oil, cabbage leaves and ice. Nothing is working for me. Has anyone dealt with engorgement and what worked for you...how long does this last?? 

Re: Engorgement!

• I find Kellymom super helpful. I hope some of these tips work for you. https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/engorgement/
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Can you hand express to relieve the pressure? I was in so much pain this time around, for at least 48 hours...Cabbage leaf compresses and cold clothes helped a lot, and continuing taking my motrin/tylenol. I basically slept without a shirt with receiving blankets under/beside me and with the compresses on all night. And I'd change them when it was time for a feed.
  • Loading the player...
  • I tried it all because I would be rock solid in my left breast the first few days. I'm also 1wk pp and only solution was to pump it out and save it. I felt a thousand times better.
  • Super hot showers help too. Let the hot water hit your boobs and the milk run out. 1 week pp is when engorgement happens. Your body is trying to figure out how much milk to make. Keep nursing through it and it will get sorted out soon. Good luck! 
  • Hot showers, putting frozen veggies on after feeding seemed to provide me with a lot of relief! Pumping just for like 5 mins helped to relieve the pressure. Hopefully it's almost over. I was terribly engorged until like 8 days pp then felt better 
  • I bought the Lansinoh hot/cold 3 in 1 breast therapy.  I've noticed the hot helps more.  I also massage while LO is nursing to help get the hard spots out.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

•  One tip my lactation consultant gave me was to take a couple diapers and fill them with hot water and then lay them directly over each boob, it felt absolutely amazing. I did this  before each nursing session for about 24 hours and that took care of most of my problems 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks! I will try just about anything..it is really not letting up yet. 
    Does anyone use essential oils (lavender specifically) while nursing? 
    It says in this book I have that it is ok, but someone told me it isnt good to use them, now I am freaking out since I used lavender 2 days in a row directly on my breasts. 
  • Thanks! I will try just about anything..it is really not letting up yet. 
    Does anyone use essential oils (lavender specifically) while nursing? 
    It says in this book I have that it is ok, but someone told me it isnt good to use them, now I am freaking out since I used lavender 2 days in a row directly on my breasts. 
    I wouldn't use any oils on the breast or where baby can come in contact. 
    How often is baby nursing and for how long. When u try and pump is it manual or automatic and single or double? Do u pump before baby eats or after and for how long? Are you going braless or are u wearing a bra?
  • I've noticed (at least for myself) when I get engorged and LO isn't hungry enough to relieve both breasts, I get more relief using a manual pump than I do with my double electric pump. It also almost seems like I get more milk out in less time.
  • I'm having the problem. My right breast is swollen, full,red and very painful. I pump the milk now for two days but i can't nurse due to the unbearable pain. I dont find it getting any better. I dont know what to do!
  • I'm having the problem. My right breast is swollen, full,red and very painful. I pump the milk now for two days but i can't nurse due to the unbearable pain. I dont find it getting any better. I dont know what to do!
    You should really get that checked out. Red swollen breasts might be mastitis. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Yes, this sounds more like mastitis than engorgement! 
    Do you have a fever? Is the redness all over or is it streaky? It could also be clogged ducts. Take a super hot shower and massage your breast towards the nipple for as long as you can. It also helps to take a manual pump in with you and alternate massaging and pumping. However, if you have a fever or flu like symptoms, you need to go to the dr.
  • I paid a visit to my GP today and yes I was diagnosed with mastitis, an infection in my right breast. My doctor prescribed me anti-biotic and pain killer.

I couldn't relate the fever and flu like symptoms with the changes happening in my breast, only until i posted my concern and read your replies. Thank you ladies!