August 2016 Moms

Re: Monday bitchfest

• OMG i love Melissa Gorga :)
  • Loading the player...
  • My co worker who has been on leave for a hip replacement came into the office, took one look at me and said "Wow, you got HUGE" - and poked my love handles. Also known as "where my baby bump connects with my body"

Okay,

1. my pre pregnancy clothes all still fit, EXCEPT in the belly. Which is admittedly - edging into huge

2. I was on freaking bed rest for six weeks. I wasn't allowed to move, much less exercise. Which, you know about.

3.  You don't get to mention my weight. Ever. We've had this conversation before... so seriously, WTF.

• First off, I feel like I should clarify that I'm a very research oriented person, so the old wives tales of how to predict what the sex of the baby is and super rigid gender roles are not my style. We're also team green.

So the thing that drives me insane is the insistence that we are having a girl because I was sick. Or that it's going to have lots of hair because I had heartburn like 3x. Actually, there is no scientific research that back any of those things up, but they argue as if they know better than researchers because it happened to them.

Also, this one friend insists so hard that it is a girl, refers to baby as She and demands I dress the baby in pink when it gets here. When I say no, I won't because I'm not a fan of pink, she says you HAVE to and proceeds to argue with me (this has happened multiple times). Its stupid, and she's just excited but hormones and shut up with your opinions. 
  • My supervisor wants me to go on an advanced analyzer training to Miami in my third trimester...ugh. I am the only one who can go since I am they key operator of the analyzer.

I told him I would have to get approval from my OB. I'm thinking about telling my OB I don't want to go to Miami in June, because of Zika. I live in Wisconsin and would like to avoid it if I can. Also because flying at 30ish weeks pregnant sounds very unappealing. 
    *TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
    10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
    11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
    Benched 6 months 
    BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
    BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18

• kmlovato said:
    First off, I feel like I should clarify that I'm a very research oriented person, so the old wives tales of how to predict what the sex of the baby is and super rigid gender roles are not my style. We're also team green.

So the thing that drives me insane is the insistence that we are having a girl because I was sick. Or that it's going to have lots of hair because I had heartburn like 3x. Actually, there is no scientific research that back any of those things up, but they argue as if they know better than researchers because it happened to them.

Also, this one friend insists so hard that it is a girl, refers to baby as She and demands I dress the baby in pink when it gets here. When I say no, I won't because I'm not a fan of pink, she says you HAVE to and proceeds to argue with me (this has happened multiple times). Its stupid, and she's just excited but hormones and shut up with your opinions. 
    Actually, if you were REALLY sick (like needing meds sick, or possibly hospitalized (due to dehydration) sick), it is more likely you're having a girl. There have been studies about this. Now, just having morning sickness--nope. It's hyperemesis gravidarum or whatever that is correlated with having a girl. (e.g., https://journals.lww.com/epidem/Abstract/2001/01000/Hyperemesis_Gravidarum_and_the_Sex_of_the.20.aspx)

Also, there is research to support that a lot of heartburn is also correlated with babies having a full head of hair. So, that's not just an old wives' tale either. (e.g., https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1523-536X.2006.00128.x/full)

As for your friend, that's just goofy. If she ever has a girl, she can dress her in pink. You can dress your baby in whatever colors you like, boy or girl. 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • @midwestbabyA lot of airlines the cut off for flying is 28 weeks (or start restricting it)... If you DO go, you'll have to make sure you pick one with a more generous policy. A quick google, and after week 28 United requires a doctor's certification no more than 72 hours old and only up to week 36.

• ballofmeatballofmeat member
    edited April 2016
    Allisun85 said:
    @midwestbabyA lot of airlines the cut off for flying is 28 weeks (or start restricting it)... If you DO go, you'll have to make sure you pick one with a more generous policy. A quick google, and after week 28 United requires a doctor's certification no more than 72 hours old and only up to week 36.
    For some reason I thought it was 32 weeks. Well this just made my day! I guess I don't have to go now. :smiley:  Thank you! 
    *TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
    10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
    11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
    Benched 6 months 
    BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
    BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18

• @kmlovato my dd had tons of hair and I never had heartburn throughout my pregnancy with her. Princess Kate was extremely sick (hyperemesis gravidarum) with both of her children whom happen to be opposite sexes. I like the fun in old wive's tales but people definitely put too much stock into them sometimes. Dress the baby however you want! Fingers crossed for a healthy baby regardless of what sex he/she happens to be!
  • cait5413 said:
    kmlovato said:
    First off, I feel like I should clarify that I'm a very research oriented person, so the old wives tales of how to predict what the sex of the baby is and super rigid gender roles are not my style. We're also team green.

Actually, if you were REALLY sick (like needing meds sick, or possibly hospitalized (due to dehydration) sick), it is more likely you're having a girl. There have been studies about this. Now, just having morning sickness--nope. It's hyperemesis gravidarum or whatever that is correlated with having a girl. (e.g., https://journals.lww.com/epidem/Abstract/2001/01000/Hyperemesis_Gravidarum_and_the_Sex_of_the.20.aspx)

Also, there is research to support that a lot of heartburn is also correlated with babies having a full head of hair. So, that's not just an old wives' tale either. (e.g., https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1523-536X.2006.00128.x/full)

As for your friend, that's just goofy. If she ever has a girl, she can dress her in pink. You can dress your baby in whatever colors you like, boy or girl. 
    Thank you for the links! I'll read them! I figured I should clarify though - it was regular morning sickness (I didn't even really puke, just nausea) and like 3 bouts of heartburn that they're basing this off of, although it is likely the baby will have a lot of hair as DH did. I had never been able to find good articles showing a correlation. 
  • My work bestie is leaving! This is her last week with the company. I've vented on here frequently about how bored I am at my job, and how slow business has been. It has been a real challenge just getting myself up and out the door in the mornings. Without my bestie it's going to be really hard! We go to Starbucks every morning, and chat on messenger throughout the day, and have lunch together a few days a week, and walk to the parking garage together at night. And we can safely vent to each other about issues with the job. And she is a mom of two so she's been my go-to sounding board for pregnancy and baby questions since the beginning! I am going to be so lonely without her here. The next few months of work are going to be so tough to get through. Sometimes I secretly wish my doctor would put me on bedrest so I could just be done with it (although logically I know that would not be good, it would mean there's a potential problem so of course I don't want that. Also we need my income up until the end). 
  • My bitch today is me. I'm the bitch. Literally. I keep getting all ragey with DH for pretty much no reason. I'm getting on my own nerves but I'm just so back and forth with my emotions. I need to get this under control. 
  • SekeramboSekerambo member
    edited April 2016
    Dh and I paid for Mil to come on vacation with us specifically to watch dd, last week.  The first day she pretty much said she didn't know how to take care of a little girl (she had boys). She ended up watching her less than 7 hours in 7 days and half that time was on one night so dh and I could go out.  I have never been more ready to go home at the end of a trip.  

Edited to add- 

We also just found out that dh's company is switching insurance plans in June, which means we have to hit another deductible this year!!!!
  • @Sekerambo oh man, my heart is breaking for you with having to hit another deductible. Insurance keeps getting more expensive and it covers less and less. 
  • @Lynnlove28 -  I have never heard of a June election until now.  The company just switched our coverage in January so we were shocked when they decided to switch it again so soon.  As of now we aren't even sure if all my current doctors are covered.  I am so frustrated!
  • Sekerambo said:
    @Lynnlove28 -  I have never heard of a June election until now.  The company just switched our coverage in January so we were shocked when they decided to switch it again so soon.  As of now we aren't even sure if all my current doctors are covered.  I am so frustrated!
    DH's company changed insurance as of last July and my precious company had an October renewal. I'm sorry you're dealing with double deductibles! I hope all your doctors/hospitals are in network!
  • @Sekerambo that sucks. All of it. You win suckiest Monday!
  • @kmlovato I had crazy heartburn during my last pregnancy and DD was practically bald until 14 months. Really she only started filling out with hair this month (18 mo). I also had severe morning sickness but I didn't throw up and both of my pregnancies have been girls. My friends that have thrown up have always had boys. Not that it means if you throw up you're having a boy... I enjoy comparing the old wives tales to my pregnancies but they are hardly ever right. 
    Baby #1: Palmer Olivia - October 2014
    Baby #2: Emmeline Grey - August 2016
    Baby #3: BFP 9/7/18  |  EDD 05/24/19
  • @Sekerambo the company I work for is also switching insurances starting May 1st. How disappointing! 
  • @jamiesc58 - I'm so sorry!  Hopefully it's a better plan!  Are you able to keep your same doctors or are you forced to switch now?
  • edited April 2016
    Rolling this into Tuesday. I am currently sitting at my doctors office waiting on the Doctor to come in. They scheduled my appointment for 8:45 but the doctor always does rounds in the morning and doesn't normally get here until around 9:30. So they send this nurse in to talk to me in the meantime and she walks in coughing. She obviously has a cold of some sort and now she's gone and I can hear her coughing and sniffing from the exam room. It's one thing to come to work sick, it's another thing to come to work sick when your job is literally to be around pregnant women all day. Go home.

update: I've been sitting here for an hour now. Still no sign of the Doctor and I can still hear that nurse coughing. 
  • charmedlifex3charmedlifex3 member
    edited April 2016

@lynnlove28 FX she just has allergies! It is that time of year...

@jamiesc58 Our plan rolls over March 30 of every year, so I feel your pain. And, this year our plan got crappier and costs more. (our deductible jumped by $300, and out max OOP by 2k. AND it went up by $80 / month . Seriously)

• @Sekerambo I can keep my doctors and everything that I have now. The thing that sucks about it is, we always roll over January 1st so I just started with the new deductibles and OOP then and now we are starting over again. @Allisun85 our plan is supposed to be very similar and the cost isn't changing as of yet. I am not sure about the deductibles and OOP yet, I only know that we have to start all over. :( And, I am scheduled for another ultrasound and have GD testing and more labs coming next month. Booooo...
  • @jamiesc58 -  Starting over is the worst!  Just when everything starts to be covered we have to start paying again. I really wish companies thought this through before making decisions.  
  • Right @Sekerambo, and now that we are discussing this, I wonder if it will be considered a pre-existing condition. I better not have tons of issues!
  • @jamiesc58 - pregnancy can no longer be considered a pre-existing condition so you shouldn't have a problem with coverage.  
  • Bitchfest tuesday? Ok, I thought hey, it's treat yourself Tuesday...let's get some coffee frap and cake pop from sbucks!

Aside from crying all morning bc of DH, I finished a tough ass meeting this afternoon. Totally justified my treats Tuesday except sbucks failed big time.

Barista made coffee frap into a milk frap, no taste of coffee and the color even was so light compared to the usual. He then remade it but it tasted just the same. Finally, he made it the third time except it just tasted like straight up espresso with ice chunks. 

I just gave up and left thinking, "at least I got my cake pop!"

Then I take a bite of this awesome looking chocolate cake pop only to realize the inside just tastes like chocolate batter. No cake to be found.

Today's just not my day. I thought I could trust in you, sbucks. Why the fk is it so difficult to get your standard drinks to taste the same in every location? WHY!!