October 2016 Moms
Options

High TSH

Hey Ladies!Kind of freaking out!!Got a email with my blood test results and my T4 was normal but my TSH was 4.86(high).Never had issues with thyroid before.Don't see doc till May 5th.Anyone else dealt with this?I'm 13 weeks preggo Sunday.Should I try to get in to doctors sooner?I did email doctor but it's also the weekend.Thanks for any advice in advance

Re: High TSH

• Options
    TW:

yes. you don't need to see a doctor per se but get a prescription for synthroid. idk how it affects later in pregnancy but I had 2 earlier losses bc of my very high thyroid.

the funny thing is, when I'm not pregnant my thyroid is perfect. silly hormones. 

fx for all to be well. 
  • Options
    If you were emailed results, then your doctor probably as them. Is it just a little over, or is that considered really high?? I would just wait for them to respond to your email, and try not to stress! I don't have experience with this, but really, try not to worry until you hear from them. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you all so much.Helped ease my stress.I'm going to call doc Monday.Thank you again.
  • Options
    I've been taking levothyroxine for years to regulate my thyroid, and pregnancy caused my thyroid levels to go way higher than yours. My endocrinologist upped my dosage significantly and within a few weeks it was back to normal. Pregnancy is fine, and I just have to have my OB monitor levels with another blood test next week (16-17 weeks). It's good that they are checking you, and the meds are no big deal if you are given them; it's just hormone replacement. 
  • Options
    Thank you.I have a apt with my Doctors nurse already scheduled on Tuesday.So I'm going to go over my results with her.To see if meds are needed.Glad I have my NT Monday to check on babe.Thank you all for the comforting replies.
  • Options
    von1976von1976 member
    edited April 2016
    A TSH of 4.86 is really not that high. The lab ranges for TSH are usually in the 0.3.-3.0 (new scale) or 0.5-5.0 (old scale) range. Your doctor will probably put you on low dose levothyroxine and monitor your T3/T4/TSH every 4-6 weeks. It's a small pill you take daily and it's really a non issue. You can get the generic at Target for $4 for a 30-day supply.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    Thank you.I used Google last night,so you know....worse case info popped up.LOL.Feeling a lot more at ease today.
  • Options
    I know this post is a year old but how did you make out @reluvdove ? I've been on thyroid meds just prior to starting ivf. In January my number was 3.15 so they put me on a low dose, but then the next month it went to 3.67 so they upped my meds to 50mg. Now today I tested positive on my HCG (officially pregnant!! ) but my tsh number went up again to 4.44. Still waiting for the nurse to call me, but just curious 
    Pregnancy Ticker