3rd Trimester

Swelling the last few weeks and post delivery

I'm a FTM currently at 30+5.  I've already gained 33lbs, which is 2lbs shy of what i wanted to gain total, so needless to say i'll be going over my goal but hopefully not by much. So far i've only had minimal swelling of feet/ankles since i try to consume lots of water.  I have slacked horribly on my exercise throughout the pregnancy so i know at least some of the extra weight gain is all on me.  So of course, i have no right to hate my now ever present double chin.  
My question is, how much more swelling can one typically expect in these last several weeks and do you swell any after delivery as well?  

Re: Swelling the last few weeks and post delivery

• Every body is different and reacts to pregnancy differently. You may swell badly in these last few weeks, or you may not. There's no way anyone can answer this for you. 
  • smn14smn14 member
    I didn't swell at all apart from tiny bit that made my wedding ring a little tight right before I delivered . Other friends of mine swelled up a lot. Everyone's different really. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had no swelling during my pregnancy but I'm now 1 week PP and I seriously look like the elephant man.  My calves, ankles and feet look like tree trunks and I have pitting edema
  • I had only moderate swelling the last few weeks of pregnancy. However, my son was born via C section and I swelled up horribly after he was delivered. I couldn't even wear any shoes for almost 3 weeks afterwards (I lived in slippers lol) I've heard you tend to swell more if you have a c section.
  • I didn't really swell with any of my 4 pregnancies. I never had trouble with blood pressure and also exercised the whole time, although I still gained anywhere from 20-30lbs. However, I did swell a ton in the week or so afterwards. It was frustrating but right around the 6 day mark it started going down and within a few days I looked and felt much better. My guess is that if you've had some swelling already at 30 weeks and you'll be pregnant in the summer, you should probably expect some more swelling. 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With my 1st pregnancy, most of my swelling happened in the last two months. Luckily, all of that water weight came off the first couple of weeks after delivery. Although I hate the swelling, I can tell that I am starting to retain water this pregnancy and I am not as worried about it this time around...after seeing how quickly (and effortlessly) the water flushed out of my system the first time around. So now I don't pay as much attention to the scale this time, as long as I am eating good, watching my sodium, and staying active....excessive gain to me, just means my body is holding in water. Especially since I am drinking 100-120oz of water a day, and only peeing like 6 times during the day, and most of the time not even getting up at night to pee. My body just really likes to retain water during pregnancy apparently. 

Within a month PP all swelling was gone, along with 30lbs. 

Everyone is different. 
    Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married 2010
    TTC: Feb 2014, BFP 7/14/14, CP 7/18/14
    BFP 3/10/15 - DD #1 born 11/19
    TTC #2: Oct 2017, BFP 12/19/17, CP 12/22/17
    BFP 2/20/18 - EDD 10/31/2018
  • I didn't really swell too much during pregnancy, but I did have a lot of swelling in the first week or two at home. When I look back on some of the pictures from that time, my face was really full and you could tell that there was definitely some swelling going on. I have always been really healthy and conscious about my water intake, so I really don't think there is anything you can do to prevent it from happening. I wouldn't worry about the weight gain or the swelling that you may or may not have. Your body is going to do what it's going to do and eventually things will go back to normal. The fun night sweats (yay!) will help you to get rid of any post baby swelling too.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was diagnosed with pre e at 37 weeks and was fairly swollen. After 3 days on iv fluids during delivery I was SUPER swollen. I lost close to 30 lbs in the 10 days after delivery. 
  • I'm 33 weeks pregnant with twins.  Up almost 40 pounds.  Swelling really has just hit me in the past couple weeks, and it is definitely noticeably more every day!  Ankles and legs mainly plus my hands a bit also.  I even noticed a touch in my face for the first time this moring.  I have a feeling it will continue to be dramatic from here on out!  Meh, oh well.  This too shall pass.
    ***Pregnancy Mentioned***
    ME: 32; DH: 34; TTC since 3/2014; Diagnosed Unexplained Infertility 2/2015
    3/2015-5/2015 IUI #1-3 with clomid + trigger:  CP + 2 BFN
    6/2015 Prep for IVF + ICSI + Assisted hatching
    7/2015 17 high-quality blasts, transferred 1 & froze 16
    8/2015: IVF#1 BFN; prep for FET
    9/2015:  Transferred 2 top grade hatching day 6 blasts
    10/2015:  10dp6dfet 754!! 13dp6dfet 2327!! 15dp6dfet 4919!!
    Present:  TWO heartbeats and all is well!!  G/B TWINS Due Date:  6/16/16