September 2016 Moms
Options

Healthcare Bumpies?

Are there any healthcare moms expecting in our group? I know we comment every now and then but what is everyone's speciality? Nurse, doctors, medtechs, etc?How are you dealing with patients during this trimester? #scrublife Cheers! 

Re: Healthcare Bumpies?

• Options
    Cute! I don't wear scrubs (I wish i did, so comfy) but I could get this one:
  • Options
    I don't wear scrubs, but I'm in sports medicine! I will say my patience for some of my more difficult patients/athletes has definitely been thin with all of these raging hormones. Luckily they are all super excited for me so maybe that overshadows my craziness at times. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    toimadness1toimadness1 member
    edited April 2016
    I just graduated nursing school and have been looking for a job. I'm trying to get into the OR. I spent last week shadowing in the OR, ER  and ICU. I was pregnant with my second son during school (born Feb 2015) and overall didn't have too many problems with patients. I did have a little scare then when I found out a patient I had spent two days already caring for came back positive for CMV. Luckily already under precautions so my exposure was minimal but it definitely stressed me out! 
  • Options
    ER RN here. I have that exact short for my son and something similar in a onesie. 

As as far as work, I've cut down how involved I get in repositioning patients, I won't transport them unless I have a stroke/trauma that has to get to CT, I hide from portable X-rays and I defer care of violent/aggressive patients. 

Yesterday i had a seizing patient who inadvertently kicked me in the breast. I don't let my belly get near.

I'm most irritated at how much quicker my belly is getting in the way. However, my scrubs are still hiding the bump.

BabyFruit Ticker

November Siggy Challenge: Selfie Fails

Hidden for the sake of your eyes!

• Options
    Yaaaah! Love the diversity 

I am a Laboratory scientist who loves to teach and consult for clinical duties. 
    I've been on leave and miss my students (kinda).

The best and worst part about the lab is the segregation. Always in the basement and blamed for everything  B) but we love science so we stay! 

How did you all pick what you wanted to do in healthcare? I liked mixing things up in the sink when I was little and watching the fizz...
  • Options
    @SuperFudge00 yikes, a kick in the breast is epic. Hope you were both ok.
  • Options
    As of today I am completely finished my nursing degree (yesssss), and now I have my provisional license so I can work until my NCLEX exam. 
    My first trimester was pretty much my entire clinical and it was awful but I got through it. I adjusted my workload similarly to @SuperFudge00, no physically violent patients (we call them Purple Dots), no x-ray's, and I avoid repositioning the very heavy ones, which is easy because usually we use a lift for them. We also had an outbreak of shingles and viral meningitis recently so I steered clear of those rooms at my managers insistence. 
    I also just invested in several pairs of maternity scrubs and Holy Dinah they're sublime. I'm not wearing the tops yet because my old tops still fit, but the pants have this gorgeously soft jersey material that goes up to your boobs, it's like having your bump in a lovely hug all day long. The only reason I take them off when I get home is because hospitals are disgusting places and I don't want to rub anything all over my furniture... 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Prof=Mom I went through a slew of majors before landing in nursing. I always wanted to help people and was on my way to becoming a social worker when a counselor and a teacher recognized my proficiency in science and encouraged that path. I almost went into genetics but age and lengthy studies put a wrench in that.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm a nurse! It's been difficult because I work on an oncology floor so I have to be extra careful to avoid chemo and implanted radiation and cmv. I don't really get to avoid heavy patients or combative ones though so it's a daily struggle and learning curve. I also definitely hit a wall around 3 so the last 4 or 5 hours are rough !
  • Options
    ballofmeatballofmeat member
    edited April 2016
    Prof=Mom said:
    Yaaaah! Love the diversity 

I am a Laboratory scientist who loves to teach and consult for clinical duties. 
    I've been on leave and miss my students (kinda).

The best and worst part about the lab is the segregation. Always in the basement and blamed for everything  B) but we love science so we stay! 

How did you all pick what you wanted to do in healthcare? I liked mixing things up in the sink when I was little and watching the fizz...
    *lurking from August 16* 

I am also a med tech  :smiley: Love the onesie! 

I work at two different hospitals, one lab is in the basement and the other on the second floor. Neither one have windows. :( 

I totally get the segregation, I wish more health care professionals knew that med techs usually have four year degrees, have to pass a national board, and keep up an accreditation/ competencies annually. 

So high five fellow science nerd! And happy early lab week! 
    *TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
    10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
    11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
    Benched 6 months 
    BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
    BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18

• Options
    I'm a Pediatric speech-language pathologist in a private practice. I work with a variety of different diagnoses such as genetic disorders, autism, etc. It does increase my anxiety because I am exposed to so much. Dealing with transitioning some aggressive clients off my caseload is my current priority. 
  • Options
    As of today I am completely finished my nursing degree (yesssss), and now I have my provisional license so I can work until my NCLEX exam. 
    My first trimester was pretty much my entire clinical and it was awful but I got through it. I adjusted my workload similarly to @SuperFudge00, no physically violent patients (we call them Purple Dots), no x-ray's, and I avoid repositioning the very heavy ones, which is easy because usually we use a lift for them. We also had an outbreak of shingles and viral meningitis recently so I steered clear of those rooms at my managers insistence. 
    I also just invested in several pairs of maternity scrubs and Holy Dinah they're sublime. I'm not wearing the tops yet because my old tops still fit, but the pants have this gorgeously soft jersey material that goes up to your boobs, it's like having your bump in a lovely hug all day long. The only reason I take them off when I get home is because hospitals are disgusting places and I don't want to rub anything all over my furniture... 
    I'm wearing hospital scrubs in larger sizes. I got through last pregnancy without purchasing maternity scrubs. 

At my hospital isolation assignments are only restricted by certain charge nurses. The thought is that we should all be practicing proper ppe. When I'm faced with suspected TB or disseminated shingles I wear a papr. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I am a HCA and I work with some confused patients with dementia who can be violent. I call for more help if I need it. With lifting and positioning, I call another HCA or nurse for some help, as I would do if I were not pregnant anyhow. I am not really doing anything different at work now that I am pregnant, but I always let whoever I am working with on my floor know, just in case. And my scrubs look awful. All HCA's have to wear the same scrubs. 
  • Options
    I'm wearing hospital scrubs in larger sizes. I got through last pregnancy without purchasing maternity scrubs. 

At my hospital isolation assignments are only restricted by certain charge nurses. The thought is that we should all be practicing proper ppe. When I'm faced with suspected TB or disseminated shingles I wear a papr. 
    I couldn't take regular scrub bottoms anymore, the waistbands were digging into me so much I was getting stomach aches, and my thighs have like doubled in size it feels like so they weren't fitting so well. Much prefer my mat ones.

On the floor I work on, patient assignments are split up into teams, 3 RN teams and 2 LPN teams. The RN teams have 4 patients each. But depending on the RN, sometimes we'll switch patients around on teams. The only time I've asked to switch patients is when I have a physically violent patient, and my nursing manager has 100% backed me up on that. She took it upon herself to make sure any of the shingles/meningitis patient's were switched off too, even though I would have been diligent with my PPE. 
  • Options
    Me! I'm a Trauma ICU nurse.  I deal with my patients by paralyzing, intubating, or restraining them :) Jk.  Most of my patients aren't aware to even care if I'm pregnant, but all of the staff knows and they've been pretty helpful and volunteering to turn my peeps every two hours.  Aside from the lifting, since they're all usually full care, I've had no problems!
  • Options
    ER Nurse....still doing what I do normally.  Except i wear a mask around anyone who had a fever or a rash.  I work mainly with pediatrics. ...
  • Options
    I will be graduating from nursing school in 20 days! Already have a job lined up and have 10 years in lab with another 5 as a CNA. This last semester has been ok. I defer care of patients on chemo, but otherwise no problems. Although being p rego has changed the shape of my face so now with airborne patients I have to get a PAP respirator cause n95 masks do the fit...
  • Options
    I'm an operating room nurse. There are definitely rooms I'm not allowed in anymore due to x-ray,  certain anesthetic gases and when cement is being used. My coworkers are very protective and don't let me transfer or do heavy lifting when avoidable. Right now I am on a stretch of evenings that is kicking my butt a little.... we are on call after 11pm and I did end up getting called back in at 130 am on Monday, but I love my job so it is all worth it.
  • Options
    Need some advice... I just accepted a new nursing position, and I didn't spill the beans during the interview (why plant the I'm going on maternity leave thought in the back of a potential new boss's head). Now how do I go about telling my brand new boss that I'm prego?
  • Options
    @Packokids It shouldn't affect your job either way, they can't fire you because you're pregnant. I would just let your manager know and let him/her know when you're planning on taking maternity leave. If they ask you why you didn't mention it in the interview, just let them know you didn't feel it had any bearing on how well you do your job or how experienced you are, which is absolutely true. 
  • Options
    Packokids said:
    Need some advice... I just accepted a new nursing position, and I didn't spill the beans during the interview (why plant the I'm going on maternity leave thought in the back of a potential new boss's head). Now how do I go about telling my brand new boss that I'm prego?

See if you can get guidance from HR so you know how to talk to the new boss with confidence. Assure them you are capable of doing the job and will be sure to make sure your duties are covered while on leave. It's hard to advance your career and family at the same time but you can do it! 
  • Options
    @midwestbaby Yaaaah! Lab week is next week and I usually throw a party but since I'm prego I'm going to ask folks to donate to a scholarship fund or something. #lab4life 

• Options
    Difficult patients make you appreciate the super nice ones. Sometimes they can't help it but sometimes you need to run! 

Also the exposure risk for chemicals and OI'S are nothing to play with. I wear double everything sometimes when I can and have no shame about it.

I need to find maternity scrubs. I just have a 1X pair that make my behind look wide as all outside!
  • Options
    Labor and delivery nurse here - I wouldn't say that it's affected my patient care too much. I've had issues with low blood sugar but I just make sure to keep snacks nearby and drink milk before my deliveries. Now that my scrubs no longer hide my belly I get lots of questions and love from my mamas which is very sweet :)
  • Options
    IT'S LAB WEEK! Please show your colleagues in the lab some love this week. You know it's lonely in the basement :wink: 

For those who don't know what lab week is here is a link to more info...

https://www.ascls.org/medical-laboratory-professionals-week
  • Options
    Ped/med surg RN here. Just mainly watch with the lifting bigger Pts and they don't run me on the code team as much which I really do miss. 
  • Options
    I do occupational therapy with special needs kids.  I had to move the violent kids onto someone else's caseload to protect the baby, and the rest of the kids are doing a lot more at the desk instead of the floor!  Floors seem so far away already...
  • Options
    I do occupational therapy with special needs kids.  I had to move the violent kids onto someone else's caseload to protect the baby, and the rest of the kids are doing a lot more at the desk instead of the floor!  Floors seem so far away already...

I volunteer to do First Aid for the Buddy Break at our Church for special needs children and I was concerned about outbursts too. But those kids are awesome! Glad to hear you are able to adjust and still be effective. :-) 
  • Options
    I'm a SICU / MICU nurse at a a military hospital. It's a pretty good job. Have to say that checking chest tubes and foleys hourly is becoming more difficult! We have some pts on meds I prefer not to touch. I double glove when handling and also when emptying waste. Some are straight up teratogenic and I'll ask a coworker to help. I also do "tradsies" where I try to knock out annoying tasks for my coworkers in exchange for help turning or linen changes on active chemo patients. 

My patience seems to wear thin more easily. one nice thing is that we have hospital provided scrubs. So I keep moving up pant sizes. The trouble now is tying the draw string above or below the bump? 
  • Options
    Final day of nursing school clinical today! So excited... from now on I will actually get paid to be an RN... start my new position on June 6! Now I have to figure out how to break the news to my new boss... any suggestions?
  • Options
    Thanks for the reassurances. My company is usually pretty good, but I just don't want to sound like an asset or hinder further transitions
  • Options
    Thanks for the reassurances. My company is usually pretty good, but I just don't want to sound like an asset or hinder further transitions

You are a very valuable asset to the company and never forget that. Many times we undervalue ourselves and we are actually quite awesome! Plus you are making another person, that's something we should start putting on resumes :-) 
  • Options
    Do you guys just shake your heads when you see how the Congress is treating the Zika virus? Now they won't vote until after 4th of July on funding. Haven't we seen enough bad movies about how this could end or do they just not care about us?