November 2015 Moms
Options

Baby led feeding

I hate to call it "weening"... Anyway we haven't fed baby solids yet... He will be 5 months tomorrow. Just personal preference we are waiting until 6 months! I have been looking into baby led "weening" and was wondering if any of you have chosen to do that, if you've started, how's it going? Does anyone know of any good books or reading material on it? How did you get started? 

Thanks mommies!!! 

Re: Baby led feeding

• Options
    I know there were some really good discussions of it while we were all still pregnant.  There was some literature some moms suggested too.  I don't recall any of it at this point though.
    There may also be a baby led feeding group on The Bump.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options
    We've started for abbouuttt a week or so now and use Tracy Murkett's Essential guide. It talks extensively on waiting for baby to give signs such as sitting on own unassisted , gnawing on toys, reaching for objects and quickly put them in mouth Ect. It also talks about allergies, choking versus gagging, how to start, what to start, as well as gives some cooking recipes.

I've also been using this site/ chart for info and ideas.

https://www.netmums.com/family-food/weaning-guide/weaning-chart

My little lady *loves* to eat. We put whatever it is right on her high chair tray and she goes to town. Always big (chip or fry like) sizes, always cooked soft unless prior soft , and always unseasoned. For now just one or two pieces. For slippery things we leave the rind on , such as chunks of avocado or banana. It's messy and so much fun to watch her play in and react to flavor and texture. For now it's just been simple fruits and veggies but I imagine in the not too distant future we'll do large pieces of proteins for her to naw on.

Have fun!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you both!!!
  • Options
    When searching for old threads, spell it weaning not weening. 

I planned to do BLW, but with DD in daycare 3x a week, we will probably do a combo of BLW and purées. 

• Options
    We did BLW with our first.  @Lotte134 did a great job explaining the basics.  I read the Baby Led Weaning cookbook before starting (it is a condensed version of the original book plus some recipes ).  If you are planning to try it definitely research gagging versus choking before starting (great chapter on it in BLW book).  Most babies will gag if doing BLW, which can be scary, but it is really not a big deal (DS did not mind at all).
    There are mixed thoughts on doing a mix of BLW and purees.  With BLW baby learns to chew then swallow.  With purees baby learns to swallow first, then learns to chew when they start getting chunks in thicker purees.  If a baby is used to thin purees then tries to eat table food withough chewing it could lead to choking. 
    Our day care was on board with BLW but we choose to wait until DS was about 9 months to eat solids at DC, until then we just fed him 1 or 2 meals a day.  Most their calories are still from milk or formula until 1, so no need for 3 meals right away.
    There is also a BLW Facebook group, I think it is called Baby Led Weaning.  Some members of the group can come across as a little rude, but if you have a thick skin there is a lot of great information and support there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options