Breastfeeding

STMs +: Better Supply the Second Time Around?

onebadmothaonebadmotha member
edited April 2016 in Breastfeeding
Hello! I had my first baby in November of 2015, and struggled with supply issues from the beginning. After pumping every 3 hours for about a month and seeing multiple LCs, I stopped when LO was about 12 weeks old. He is now 5 months, and thriving, but I am still very bummed about not being able to BF. One of my LCs said that I may produce more the second time around, and I was just wondering how prevalent that is. Have any 2nd time + moms experienced an increased supply in subsequent children? 
Fur daughter: 02/2011
Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
*formerly kayemjay*

Re: STMs +: Better Supply the Second Time Around?

• Yes! When my DS was about 10 months old, my supply tanked. I went from pumping 4-6 ounces to 1-2. It was super hard to keep up. I made it to a year, but it was a struggle. 
    We now have 10 month old twin girls. I still have about 1500 ounces frozen. It's crazy the supply I still have. I'm pumping less now since they're eating a lot of solids, but I still produce enough not to worry. However, I'm not sure if it's from being a STM, or because I've got twins. They always eat together, so both breasts get drained. More demand, more supply. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• dkubbdkubb member
    Yes! With my first daughter we didn't make it past a couple weeks. I had almost no supply. Now with my second were still going strong at 6 months I make enough to feed him and I could pump extra if I choose to. I never heard anyone say your supply is better with subsequent children but it's definitely proving true for us. You did a great job making it to 12 weeks! Good luck with your next baby!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for sharing your experiences, @DolphinLover2002 and @dkubb! You have both given me hope for baby # 2 :) 
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Yes!  With my first child that I breastfed I was an exact producer.  Now, with my second time breastfeeding I pump enough for an extra feeding every day.  I don't know if this second baby just eats more so I produce more, but I have heard your breasts have milk memory and you make more second time around!!
  • @mommaofmultiples, I surely hope that's true! That's fantastic that you are able to produce extra each day! Hopefully my boobs are more up to the task next time :)
    *formerly kayemjay*