Baby Names
Options

Heartbroken over Paige

DH and I are expecting #2 in September.  We find out the gender on Friday, but have been discussing names.  Paige is the only girl name we've agreed on so far, which is huge for us!  Unfortunately, I looked it up online and Paige means "little servant".  I'm not sure I could do that to my child, but I still love the name.  I'm feeling so torn and heartbroken that I can't use the name I love.

Would you name your child Paige, knowing what it means?

Re: Heartbroken over Paige

• Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    I wouldn't read much into this. If you like the name, keep it. It's not as if you said, "Hmmm, I want to choose a name that implies servitude. Oh, look! Paige means 'little servant'!" and went from there. 

I would definitely keep a name I love, even if it came with a not-so-great meaning. 
  • Options
    If you look elsewhere it also says "young helper" or "young child".  I'm sure this comes from the definition of page, which is:
    1. 1a (1) :  a youth being trained for the medieval rank of knight and in the personal service of a knight (2) :  a youth attendant on a person of rank especially in the medieval periodb :  a boy serving as an honorary attendant at a formal function (as a wedding)

2. 2:  one employed to deliver messages, assist patrons, serve as a guide, or attend to similar duties

I personally wouldn't eliminate a name I loved over this.  I've never even looked up the definition of my name.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I personally don't put any stock into what names mean. If you love the name that much, you should use it. 
  • Options
    Take a break and see if the meaning still bugs you in a month.

The term "page" is still used occasionally as a job title.
  • Options
    Not a big deal to me, very few people will ask what the meaning is, and if they do, so what? It doesn't make your child a slave or anything. Just a pretty sounding name with an older meaning. ;) 

• Options
    I know a few Paige's (both adults, and children - first name or middle name), and I would have never known the meaning if you didn't put it in this post......so that goes to show that not everyone focuses on the meaning. I guess it just really depends on how much you love the name vs. how much you care about the meaning. 
    1. 1a (1) :  a youth being trained for the medieval rank of knight and in the personal service of a knight (2) :  a youth attendant on a person of rank especially in the medieval periodb :  a boy serving as an honorary attendant at a formal function (as a wedding)

2. 2:  one employed to deliver messages, assist patrons, serve as a guide, or attend to similar duties

I personally wouldn't eliminate a name I loved over this.  I've never even looked up the definition of my name.
    This.  The name doesn't really mean "servant."  A page was a young person of noble rank who went to live with another family and worked as an attendant.  A medieval page would have been a boy. Somewhere in the 20th Century, people started sticking an "i" in the middle to feminize it and using it as a girl's name.  I'm not sure if you can even count it as coming from the word "page" anymore.  In any case, a "page" would have been very different from a servant!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. It's a name. It doesn't mean people will think of her as a servant. My name means honey bee... Not once have I stung though. 

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    DH and I both love (and totally agree!) on Savannah if this LO is a girl.

It means "grassy plane" or something. I couldn't care less! I highly doubt people will google the meaning and judge her based on it.

Long story short: Paige is a great name, stick with it!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Paige is a great name, and I wouldn't be concerned about the official meaning behind it.
  • Options
    I agree with others who've pointed out the Page title as a probable origin. Nothing wrong with it. Think it over and if the meaning (which very few would ever know) bothers you then move on. My unwavering choice for a boy is Calvin and it means "bald". Who cares, it's a great name! Paige is a top 5 girl name for me, btw, because it makes me think of books.
  • Options
    I seriously wouldn't worry about it at all. 
  • Options
    I really love the name Paige too. Sometimes it is hard to get past a meaning- I was considering the name Cameron and then when I looked it up it means "crooked nose". And for some reason I just could not get that out of my head! So I had to nix the name lol. Although the name we're going with quite biblical and we are not religious in the least, so I guess sometimes it just doesn't matter and you look past it!
  • Options
    I'll echo everyone else and say it's not a big deal. I don't put much stock into name meaning. I don't even know what my son's name means actually....
  • Options
    I think it's silly to rule out a name you like because of the meaning. I have no idea what my name means so it really doesn't matter. 
    For the record we're having a girl and Paige is our front runner right now 
  • Options
    Thanks for all your thoughts.  I'm not ready to rule out Paige yet, and in all my worrying, I've been able to add a few more names to our short list!
  • Options
    @MamaSquishyB one thing I think every time I scroll past this thread is "if you are heartbroken (as title suggests) over letting it go, don't let it go."
  • Options
    It means little servant.... Not little slave. Personally I want my little girls to grow up with a servant's heart. The human race is way too selfish as a whole. 

Mama to two perfect little girls.
    Lucy 07-13-11
    Violet 03-13-14
    Conceived #3 since September 2015
    11-25-15 twelve week loss
    07-21-16 ten week loss
    10-03-16 5 week loss
    TTC again soon!
  • Options
    SuperNerd42SuperNerd42 member
    edited April 2016
    It means little servant.... Not little slave. Personally I want my little girls to grow up with a servant's heart. The human race is way too selfish as a whole. 
    Maybe it's just the phrasing, but this made me cringe. It is entirely possible to have a kind heart and be a helpful person without being a secondary. 

eta- OP I wouldn't worry about the origins/"meaning" of a name. I doubt many parents name their child Mason and expect him to literally be a mason!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Maybe it's just the phrasing, but this made me cringe. It is entirely possible to have a kind heart and be a helpful person without being a secondary. 

eta- OP I wouldn't worry about the origins/"meaning" of a name. I doubt many parents name their child Mason and expect him to literally be a mason!
    Why is a servant a "secondary"? A servant by definition is someone who is paid to do a job. 

I stand by my belief that speaking "servant" over your child every time you call their name isn't a bad thing. 

I'm sure you are SO much better than everyone else. 

Mama to two perfect little girls.
    Lucy 07-13-11
    Violet 03-13-14
    Conceived #3 since September 2015
    11-25-15 twelve week loss
    07-21-16 ten week loss
    10-03-16 5 week loss
    TTC again soon!
  • Options
    Don't over think it! The name isn't my style but go for it. 
  • Options

Why is a servant a "secondary"? A servant by definition is someone who is paid to do a job. 

I stand by my belief that speaking "servant" over your child every time you call their name isn't a bad thing. 

I'm sure you are SO much better than everyone else. 
    You're thinking of employees- servants are inherently underneath someone else. To be servile, subservient, and submissive to someone else's needs was not really a positive thing. The only way this train of thought has any redeeming qualities is if you mean it in a religious context- but since you mentioned pay I'm just left very confused. 

And if raising my kids to not be subservient means that I'm better than others, well- thank you for the compliment :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Looks like all this anxiety was for nothing... It's a boy!
  • Options
    I wouldn't let it sway you. I understand the connection with the meaning, but this term dates back to medieval times. I think you're okay! :)
  • Options
    Is this really something to be heartbroken over?
  • Options
    Looks like all this anxiety was for nothing... It's a boy!
    CONGRATULATIONS 
  • Options
    Paige is a beautiful name. And for any future considerations since it's not happening this time for you, depending on your particular religious philosophy a servant is considered a good thing.