October 2015 Moms
Options

How did you choose a daycare?

We've been incredibly lucky that my mom has been able to take time off and watch LO since I went back to work in January. However, due to unforeseen circumstances she won't be able to watch her past Wednesday. I've taken 3 weeks off from work to focus on figuring out a solution. My SO and I have never wanted LO in daycare, but it might have to be a short term solution for us. Those of you who have put your LO in daycare, how did you decide? We live in LA and so the market is huge, but I have no idea how I'll find one I trust and I'm stressing out.

Re: How did you choose a daycare?

• Options
    Visit each of them during the day and get to know the people taking care of your child. I visited while I was pregnant, so at least you have the advantage of knowing how your child will react at each one. I am fortunate that my decision was easy. After visiting two, I just knew that one of them was the right decision. It happened to be the one 3 minutes from our house that our neighbor owned. So I felt better about leaving my daughter with someone I already knew. Just trust your mama instincts and you'll make the right decision! Good luck! 
  • Options
    Yes definitely going and meeting the people. My plan had been to visit a few but after the first one I knew that was the one. Both the infant teachers had been there 8-10 years and were wonderful with the littles. Now that he's there he's been doing great and they are so good with him. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Meet and greets! Preferably when kids are there so you can see how they interact. You'll know the one when you find it. Good luck!
  • Options
    Visit several different types of daycare centers to see what fits your family best.  We have corporate run ones and smaller "mom and pop" daycare centers that are individually run where I live.  I visited several of each type before coming to a decision I could feel good about.  Ask lots of questions and go on a tour.  
  • Options
    You asked about finding a caregiver you can trust.  My experience was I didn't make my decision based on trust, because I couldn't trust any stranger, no matter how highly recommended or how much I liked the caregivers!  The trust is something you'll have to establish over time.  Just do your best to find a caregiver you feel like you could build trust with based on whatever factors are important to you.  I LOVE my son and daughter's daycare, I feel like we have a big second family there, but my anxiety level was so high those first few weeks with my son, and I'd say it took me at least 6 months before I felt I could say I completely trusted them.  And I don't consider myself paranoid or anything, it's just that you're handing over care of the most precious thing in your life!  Here's one organization that evaluates caregivers on early care and educational standards, the National Association for the Education of Young Children, you can search their site for accredited facilities:  https://www.naeyc.org/

I don't know if this will help make you feel any better about daycare, but there are many benefits - learning social skills, getting used to being in other environments, and even getting sick - builds up that immune system!  Good luck!!