January 2016 Moms
Options

Tips for switching to formula

I am trying to transition from bfing but my daughter will literally eat like one ounce and then act like she doesn't want it any more. Then at night when I give in and bf her she drains the milk all through the night. I don't want to starve her but would love some tips! She has always been a fussy eater on breast or bottle. That is part of the reason I would like to just switch her over! My sanity!

Re: Tips for switching to formula

• Options
    It's always a great idea to consult a pediatrician before changing their diet. 
    LO has been through many changes in his formula,cereals etc and I have consulted with his doctor before making any changes :) 
  • Options
    teachmegs817teachmegs817 member
    edited April 2016
    I agree with @carlyhammond we went through several formula changes with our LO. I started supplementing him with Enfamil's supplementing formula, and he couldn't tolerate it. Your pedi. Might be able to recommend and even give you some sample cans of stuff before you go out and buy a stash. Also, it may be suggested to start out small and slowly ween your LO off of the breast milk. Good luck with it! I never realized just how many formulas are out there, until we started having the issues and we're trying out different brands/types
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also, on your end, I would just recommend going VERY slow in terms of weaning.  I have been going through this process and I took it way too fast, thinking it wouldn't be a big deal since my supply was so low, and it majorly messed with my moods/hormone levels.  Upon talking to my endocrinologist today she said it's pretty important to take the process slowly for your own health and happiness!  As frustrating as it can be, it would probably be best for your LO too.  Slow transitions are better for everyone, generally.  Even changing my cats' or dog's food we have to slowly transition or stomach problems arise for 2 out of 3 of them!  ;)
  • Options
    Give breast milk in bottles and start replacing one ounce with formula gradually replacing an ounce for formula every few days until eventually it's all formula...after speaking to your doctor of course! Good luck!