August 2015 Moms

am i the only one?

Ds still wakes up multiple times a night at 8 months. Averaging about 4-5 times a night. Really contemplating CIO methods sleep training from books i read.. although the thought breaks my heart.

Anyone else in the same boat?
DS 8/13/15 
Blessed  <3o:)

Re: am i the only one?

• Tons of mommas are in this boat, and it is absolutely normal. Some LOs are still waking every 45-90 minutes. My LO is just now going from waking 4+ times a night to just 2 or 3. Can't say I've done anything different other than be consistent with her nighttime routine. 

Some of the moms in the August FB group have had a lot of success with the sleep consultant from www.stronglittlesleepers.com

Good luck <3

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are at about 3x a night right now. When we switched from breastfeeding to formula we went from 8x a night down to 3-4x and now I get help from my husband. We haven't done anything different either. The biggest difference is we went from 30 minute naps to 1.5-2 hour naps during the day. We are getting our second tooth and crawling now, so our sleep gets thrown off for a week or so each time a milestone is hit. Still hoping that elusive full night of sleep is around the corner! 
  • Loading the player...
  • edited April 2016
    My LO is doing this as well. I believe she is teething badly though. Her gums are very swollen. Here's hoping for sleep!

I'm not holding my breath though. my son woke up every 2-3hrs till he weaned at 16mo. Some babies are just bad sleepers 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It is rough! I believe teething might be a factor as he just cut his 3rd tooth in the past 5 weeks. We also co sleep since he refuses to sleep in his crib and he wants to nurse every time he rolls into me or touches me in the middle of the night it's sweet but also very exhausting I wish everybody else the best of luck...sleep - it's Gotta happen eventually right?
    DS 8/13/15 
    Blessed  <3o:)
  • My 8 month old sleeps through the night almost every night. He only wakes up if he has a night terror. We did the CIO and it was definitely worse on us than him! But I am sooooo glad I did it now! We did it around 4 months though.
  • We just ended our up every hour routine. I don't know what changed. I am just thankful. CIO was always in the back of our minds but we never did. It's so terrible! 
  • My daughter still wakes 2-3 times a night but she is breastfed and I think that nursing is her comfort. My sons were not and they didn't wake as much but they definitely woke up at least once at this age. We cosleep so the waking hardly bothers me.
  • My son did this too.  I read the Sleep Easy Solution book which is a least cry method.  I tracked how often and long he would nurse each night and realized he was Snacking or grazing most of the time and would only actually eat once so I stopped nursing him except for that one time.  I would just go in and give him binky instead and he would put self back to sleep.  He fussed for a minute each time but not long. It worked he went from waking every hour to twice. He gets up at 1am and 4 ish now.  This book gave great info on napping as well.  
  • rjanicerjanice member
    Every night seems to be a surprise.  He's good about getting himself to sleep but it's everything after that that is questionable.   Will he sleep through the night?  Will he wake up to eat?  Then will he go right back to sleep or stay up a while?  Will he wake up twice or just this one? Oh I hear him talking,  is it gonna turn into a screaming session or will he talk himself to sleep? Sigh. My older two were such great sleepers.  This baby right here is definitely different. 
  • I am actually in the second night of CIO after being in basically the same situation. DS is 9 months today and we were co sleeping, not because it was ever intended but because after months of reflux it was the only way for me to sleep more than 20 minutes at a time. He never truly slept well with me though and would wake up multiple times to nurse. My husband and I tried everything we could find to get this little boy to sleep in his crib with no success. We even tried the "no tears" version of sleep training which pissed him off to no end lol. I was DESPERATE for him to have a good night sleep as he was so sleepy during the day. I finally decided to do the Ferber method of CIO. Scienceofmom.com has some great articles that delve into the science of cry it out and convinced me that I was in fact helping my baby and gave me the courage to attempt. 
    I'm happy to report that on the first night he only cried maybe 10 minutes and tonight only a second of protest before passing out. I am honestly and truly stunned. After the hours and hours of research, and trying different options, and crying and begging and praying for sleep, this baby just clicked. I don't know if it is because he is a bit older and ready or if having my husband be the one that turns off the lights and tucks him in helped. I would also have my husband go in to soothe so that DS didn't get mad when his sleep crutch walked in and out.

Sorry this is so long winded I just wanted to send some encouragement and well wishes your way and try to give you hope that your nights of sleep will come.