January 2016 Moms

Am I suppose to get my period on the mini pill?

This is the first month of my first mini pill experience. I have 2 pills left for this month. 
I wasn't sure if I was suppose to get my period? or if it's like a continuous non period type of deal?
My lower back is killing me, which could be a possible symptom of an impending period party or could be I just hurt my back. 

Debating calling my OB. Wanted to get some experienced opinions first.
N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)

Re: Am I suppose to get my period on the mini pill?

• I'm a few days into my second pack and haven't had a period yet. I have no idea if that is normal though.
  • l4rkl4rk member
    The info booklet says continuous bleeding, not bleeding and intermittent bleeding are all normal. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm on my 3rd pack and no period yet. If you are BFing it's normal to not get your period and the mini pill is just precautionary. Also I'm at 14 weeks pp. 
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    I haven't started mine yet but was prescribed it and my OB said some people get really irregular or no period! 
  • The first three weeks of the pills you shouldn't get your period. The last week of pills are placebos and that's when you should get your period. This was my experience of being on it for years. I'm on my first pack since having LO and my OB said I should get my period back after the third week and if not to call her and let her know. With DS one I did not get my period back by after 4 months Pp. it made me so paranoid and I was formula feeding for months at that point. She gave me medication to take and get my period back. This helped with my anxiety of knowing I wasn't pregnant again if that makes any sense. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The first three weeks of the pills you shouldn't get your period. The last week of pills are placebos and that's when you should get your period. This was my experience of being on it for years. I'm on my first pack since having LO and my OB said I should get my period back after the third week and if not to call her and let her know. With DS one I did not get my period back by after 4 months Pp. it made me so paranoid and I was formula feeding for months at that point. She gave me medication to take and get my period back. This helped with my anxiety of knowing I wasn't pregnant again if that makes any sense. 
    What you are taking about is regular combined estrogen/progesterone bc pills. 
    OP was asking about mini pill which is progesterone only/safe for breastfeeding and very different. Mini pill has no placebo pills, you take continuously. 

As PP have said, with mini pill it is totally normal to either get your period back, not get it at all, or have intermittent bleeding or spotting. 

I am a pharmacist. I'm on mini pill and EBF and no period or bleeding yet. But as I mentioned it can vary and be totally normal woman to woman. 
  • @BabyHope2013 OP is on the mini pill. This is a progestin only pill (usually for bf'ing mothers) that provides a continuous, constant dose of progestin. There is NO week of placebo pills so irregular bleeding is the norm.  
  • Thanks sorry about the confusion! 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I started my period the last week of pack two. 
  • I'm at the end of my second pack (14 weeks pp) and no period yet. 
    Married March 19, 2011
    TTC off and on 04/14
    BFP 06/13/14 MC 06/15/14
    BFP 12/14/14
    1st Appt 01/13/2015
    M/C 1/19/15 D&C 1/20/15
    BFP 5/13/15
    1st Appt 06/10/2015 Peanut has HB 150
    A/S 09/02/15 It's a Girl!! Low placenta, but everything else great!

IAmPregnant Ticker

• I am only one week into my first pack. I EBF. I started dark spotting last night. So disappointing! I was hoping for longer without bleeding. Only 3 months postpartum.