December 2015 Moms
Options

Daycare problem or overreacting mama?

Hey ladies. I am hoping you can help me out with this one. I have an issue with something going on at daycare and I can't tell if I am overreacting, so any honest feedback would be appreciated.

My 14 week old daughter has been in an accredited daycare facility for about 3 weeks now after my husband and I had to go back to work. Things have been okay in general, but of course it takes some getting used to letting a stranger care for the love of your life all day. 

Last night I went to go pick baby girl up and the lead teacher in the infant room asks me if she sleeps in a crib at home, because she won't sleep in the crib at daycare. So I ask where she is sleeping and she tells me that she only sleeps in the swing. I have seen her in the swing before, several times when I came to get her, but not sleeping. Now I don't have a swing at my house, but it seems to me like maybe this is not really a safe place for a baby to be napping all day. Am I right on this? I am stewing and worrying all day here, but I can't tell if I am overreacting. Is it dangerous for her to nap in the swing?

Re: Daycare problem or overreacting mama?

• Options
    redfallonredfallon member
    edited April 2016
    My baby naps wherever he will fall asleep: swing, bouncer chair, floor, sometimes the carseat. He takes most naps in the bouncer chair. I'd say as long as your LO is still supervised while napping, the swing isn't inherently unsafe to nap in. 

ETA: Where does your LO nap at home? If she naps in the crib at home, then you can give them some tips on how you get her to sleep in the crib that will help them to get her to sleep in the crib at the daycare. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I have no idea what the laws in your state are,  but in my state my daycare provider would be cited for allowing the baby to sleep anywhere but a crib. If you aren't comfortable, you have every right to say something and having high expectations is a good thing. This is your child and her safety is your priority. I personally would be okay with my baby napping in the swing every once in a while under close supervision, but I would be concerned they are creating a bad habit when they should be putting in the work to get her comfortable in the crib. Good luck! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD napped in her swing every day for all her naps until last week. The only reason she doesn't anymore is because the swing is at my mother's house still from when we were staying with her and we haven't had a chance to bring it home due to the amount of room available in the car. 
    It isn't something that bothers me but if you aren't happy about it then of course you should say something. 
  • Options
    kdoak2015kdoak2015 member
    edited April 2016
    I would say over reacting. As long as she's sleeping that's all that matters for now. I would encourage them to keep trying the crib though.
  • Options
    We had to give permission for our baby to take naps in the swing. Our daycare will do whatever we ask. That's where she's been napping at home so I ok'ed it. But we're trying to make the move to the crib so soon I'm going to ask them to stop and try just crib napping her.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input. I thought I was overreacting but as a FTM I am never sure. I know she is always supervised while she is on the swing, but it only takes a few minutes for something bad to happen. I am a nervous nelly by nature and the transition to daycare has been hard on me, so I appreciate the input from other mamas. 

My plan is to let daycare know that we are working on the transition from bassinet to crib at home and that I would like them to work on napping in the crib too. 
  • Options
    tepr14tepr14 member
    If it makes you uncomfortable I would definitely reach out to the lead teacher, and "partner together" in helping that transition, share what you do at home and as pp said share tips. Though I personally don't have to deal with children napping at work- we always make sure to meet the needs of our families, and put in that extra effort of matching best we can at school to what is happening at home.
  • Options
    Baby is strapped in though right? My LO slept in the swing for almost three months for night sleep, and naps. She is in the crib now but we never had an issue in the swing :) 
  • Options
    My little guy naps on his swing occasionally but I don't like him to nap there all the time since I don't want him to get used to it.  My mom watches him 2 afternoons a week and he always naps there when she watches him.  I mostly worry because he is quickly approaching the 25 lb weight limit!  
  • Options
    This is all good feedback. Thank you ladies.

So we had an easy transition to the crib at home for sleeping at night. Baby girl is not a good napper at all. She will usually take 3-4 naps a day from 30-45 minutes. She still won't nap in the crib at home or at daycare. They tell me they are working on it, and so am I, but the feedback here has helped me realize that it's probably not the worst thing in the world if she naps in the swing. 
  • Options
    That's pretty much the standard nap for this age group, unless you have a sleep loving baby, some people get really lucky!
  • Options
    And I got super lucky with a kid that sleeps well at night, so I shouldn't complain about short naps!
  • Options
    My DS slept in a swing for 2 weeks when he had a cold and was really congested. I'm talking naps and at night. We had no problem transitioning him back to the crib.