February 2016 Moms

Not convinced it's just colic

My sweetheart almost 8 weeks old has had major painful gas. She is already prone to her bouts of colic but she also hasn't had a BM in five days and her gas seems to be giving her a whole new level of discomfort. We EBF, and all the literature says it's age appropriate for her digestion to change and slow, and she shouldn't experience constipation with breast milk,but I feel absolutely desperate. Is anyone else having their little ones digestion slow this much? There is no fever,no rash, no excessive spitting up, plenty or wet diapers with no symptoms of dehydration.So what the heck! I'm so stressed out!

Re: Not convinced it's just colic

• My LO just went through this. She went 4 days without BM. I tried gripe water and massaging her tummy because she is a little gassy anyways but was a tad fussier especially today and finally BM. I read breastfed babies can go up to 10 days without a BM and be okay. Maybe call the pediatrician to see what worried. I was hoping it would eventually come and it did. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sorry about your LO. Do you have a vibrating bouncy seat? That usually does the trick for us. Hope you find something that helps. 
  • Loading the player...
  • AchaeAchae member
    Our LO goes every other to once every four days (well we are on day 4 now with no poo so I guess he's going for a longer stretch!). He is also pretty gassy and colicky, my dr said some babies are just fussy :/ ours likes butt pats, the vibrating seat and the colic hold which seem to help him with his gas. 
  • VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited April 2016
    Try these:  https://www.amazon.com/The-Windi-Colic-Reliever-Babies/dp/B007RAGALO

Crazy concept, but they're miracle workers! In the interim, lube up the tip of a rectal thermometer and put it in just a little bit. Sometimes that will magically get the poop going. 

• For my LO I got in a warm bath with her so she was in the warm water more than a baby bath thing. Anyway it helped her relax and losened her right up we ended up taking a shower because she pooped in the water but it worked. 
  • VitaLuna said:
    Try these:  https://www.amazon.com/The-Windi-Colic-Reliever-Babies/dp/B007RAGALO

Crazy concept, but they're miracle workers! In the interim, lube up the tip of a rectal thermometer and put it in just a little bit. Sometimes that will magically get the poop going. 
    We took our LO to the ER days after bringing her home  from the hospital bc she wasn't pooping or peeing and was screaming in pain, they did the rectal thermometer and everything came out. She was instantly relieved and calmed. Thank goodness!
  • Have you tried probiotics? One of our girls was excessively gassy when she came home from the NICU and our pediatrician recommended probiotics. It made a huge difference.

Also, it IS totally okay to go a week or more between bowel movements. Both our girls only poop once a week (longest stretch has been 9 days, I think). Breast milk is a perfect balance of nutrition and some babies produce very little solid waste from it. Please don't get in the habit of using the rectal thermometer trick. That can cause damage if you're not careful. They WILL poop when they're ready. If they are truly constipated, glycerin deposits are the way to go, but it is highly unlikely that a breast fed baby is constipated.
  • We also used probiotics with our oldest child when he was an infant and it worked very well. He had colic. At times I thought he was constipated because he was always grunting like he had to poop but nothing would happen. He would go a few days without going, and he would be screaming in pain. I took him in and his doctor said it was just the colic and he was not constipated. They recommended probiotics to help with this and it made a huge difference for him.

• Thank you for all the input, the only thing I haven't tried is the thermometer. I'm definitely a parent that the baby companies are making money off of with products that promise a little comfort and relief!I have minor success with baths and belly and back rubs giving some comfort, and we have been using probiotics for about a week and a half.  
    I'm just really grateful to hear about others experiences, it can seem like one thing after another is aggravating her colic more than usual and honestly I'm just a little exhausted and stressed. I have been down to do anything to help her, so we can all live more peacefully. Some one even suggested I eat prunes to help her out, and so far I am the only one feeling that effect (  :| ). It surely will come to pass in its own time , I just wanted to hear it from other mommies. Thank you!