3rd Trimester
Options

Travel 2 weeks before due date

I know every pregnancy is different but I thought I would ask. So I have a cousin getting married about 2 weeks before I'm due and it's a 3 hour drive. I don't know if I should respond yes or no to the invitation because I was told I shouldn't travel more than an hour away from my doctor starting at 32 weeks but I know plenty of women are active and out and about up until they go into labor. I don't really know how I will feel at that point but it would be nice to see family I haven't seen in awhile! 

Re: Travel 2 weeks before due date

• Options
    Honestly, I would say no. I actually had a wedding to go to at 36 weeks and my doctor said that should be the last time I'm more than 1 hour away from the hospital. If you are willing to give birth in that area, then take your hospital bag with you and know where the closest hospital is. Otherwise, it's not a good idea. My hospital does not stop labor after 38 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    J1DJ1D member
    I was diagnosed with severe preeclampsia at 38 weeks and was told to go straight to the hospital and at the hospital they almost immediately started to induce me, didn't even wait to get me up to a room. So in my case traveling would have been very bad. 
    That's no way to know how you will be at 38 weeks, but I know for me I ended up not going to a wedding at 37 weeks because it was an hour away and I couldn't go that long without needing to pee and it hurt too much to be in a car that long. 3 hours in a car would have been torture and we would have had to stop so I could pee at least 3-4 times.
    I would say it's not a great idea to commit to something that far away when you are that far along.
  • Options
    ecwkecwk member
     I was told I shouldn't travel more than an hour away from my doctor starting at 32 weeks 
    Who told you this? 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would not, and I'm pretty liberal with the traveling
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    If your doc says no, go with what they say.

I know I'm traveling 3 hours away at 34 weeks and then staying close to home after that. 
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    I agree with PPs, if your doctor said no, then don't do it. I won't even be traveling the 50 minutes away to see my mom when I am that far along unless DH can go with me.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Options
    Well of course your doctor is going to tell you that you shouldn't risk giving birth anywhere other than THEIR hospital. I plan to travel up until 38 weeks (I have to for work). I'm not asking my doctor. There are hospitals in the places I go, so if I go into labor, I'll be fine. I certainly hope not to, but it's not the end of the world. I'm not going somewhere that's not close to a hospital...
  • Options
    For what it's worth, I live two hours from the hospital where I will be giving birth and actually relocated to a different city at 36 weeks so I can be closer to the hospital for the end of my pregnancy. Granted, my little guy has some special circumstances that need immediate attention, but 2 weeks is really close to your due date.  On the April board, tons of moms have given birth before 38 weeks.
  • Options
    I would say no. Even at 32 weeks even short car rides feel terrible.  I turned down a trip to NYC cause my Floridian cousin, who has never been up north before, wants to see it but even 1 1/2 hours is just too far so I told my dad to take her.  Better safe than sorry. Send a card/gift if you want but at 38 weeks I'm sure they will totally understand.
  • Options
    Hey ladies. Fairly new to the third tri boards. 31 weeks here. The farthest i'm willing to travel at this point is 45 mins away which is basically work. The way i see it, if my water was to break or i was to go into labor, im hoping i have time to either get home or have my hubby come get me and take me to the hospital. Wishful thinking, but so far thats the plan
    ~* Met Husband: July 26, 2009 <3Said Yes: July 26, 2010 <3Married:  September 10, 2011 <3Baby Due: June 17, 2016 *~

• Options
    If you do go, PLEASE get copies of all of your records from your doctor so that, if you do deliver, you don't end up having to get all sorts of tests redone. 

One thing to also keep in mind, many venues require a final head count and payment 2-4 weeks out from the event.  If you go early, it is unlikely that your spots could be refunded. Just something to think about. 
  • Options

I went to my sister's wedding, which was 10 days before i was due, out of state.  because i was too far along to fly, we had to drive - 10 hours each way.  I was the MOH.

I have a friend in the town where the wedding was held that is an OBGYN.  I checked my insurance and she was in-network.  I spoke to her, and she said of course, if the worst was to happen, she could deliver my baby.  I had a very straight-forward, low risk pregnancy.

I scheduled my weekly OBGYN appointment for the day before we left.  I asked her what she thought.  She said i wasn't dilated at all yet, nothing looked eminent, and as long as i was comfortable with the possibility of delivering a baby away from home, to go ahead and go.  We drove 10 hours there, stayed in town for 36 hours, and then drove 10 hours back.  It was uncomfortable but otherwise fine.  I had the baby 8 days after we got back, at 39+6. 

This is not a good idea for everyone, and if my doctor had specifically told me not to go i would not have gone.  but she gave me the go-ahead so i took the chance and went.  That said, i probably wouldn't chance it again, and if the wedding had been for anyone other than my only sister, i probably would have declined.  That drive was hellacious.

• Options
    Like @Sgoldberg247touched on, you should consider the bride, etc and the chance of you bailing last minute.  I would RSVP no, and IF your doctor says it's fine and you are comfortable going last minute, then go to the ceremony and part of the reception that does not require a final head count or associated cost.  That way you can keep your options open without a formal commitment and potentially still see family!!  My cousin did this for my wedding and I thought it was very nice, honest, and reasonable of her!
    ***Pregnancy Mentioned***
    ME: 32; DH: 34; TTC since 3/2014; Diagnosed Unexplained Infertility 2/2015
    3/2015-5/2015 IUI #1-3 with clomid + trigger:  CP + 2 BFN
    6/2015 Prep for IVF + ICSI + Assisted hatching
    7/2015 17 high-quality blasts, transferred 1 & froze 16
    8/2015: IVF#1 BFN; prep for FET
    9/2015:  Transferred 2 top grade hatching day 6 blasts
    10/2015:  10dp6dfet 754!! 13dp6dfet 2327!! 15dp6dfet 4919!!
    Present:  TWO heartbeats and all is well!!  G/B TWINS Due Date:  6/16/16
  • Options
    Yes, because the other hospitals won't have access to your medical records, including RH status, recent LAB work, GBS status, and your general over all prenatal health.
    That's why it's a big deal. That staff will be in a sense, working blind.
    When I chose to travel 4 hours away for a funeral at 37 weeks, my doctor gave me a copy of all my prenatal records just in case I had to go to a different hospital. I had an OB appointment a couple days before the trip and thoroughly discussed the trip with my doctor. I feel like I made a well informed decision and I was willing to accept the risks. That said, if I were OP, I am not too sure I would travel for a wedding.

• Options
    I had switched practices at about 28 weeks because I moved so it was my first OB that told me she doesn't recommend that I travel more than an hour away from the hospital after 32 weeks, and she had said this the day my pregnancy was confirmed so very early on, I asked my new OB about this and she was completely fine with me traveling since it's a car ride not an airplane ride. My pregnancy has been completely complication free and now we are almost a week to the wedding and I really don't think my little girl will be here anytime soon. My insurance is really great so I wouldn't have an issue with going to the hospital if I did end up going into labor 3 hours away. 
  • Options
    I had switched practices at about 28 weeks because I moved so it was my first OB that told me she doesn't recommend that I travel more than an hour away from the hospital after 32 weeks, and she had said this the day my pregnancy was confirmed so very early on, I asked my new OB about this and she was completely fine with me traveling since it's a car ride not an airplane ride. My pregnancy has been completely complication free and now we are almost a week to the wedding and I really don't think my little girl will be here anytime soon. My insurance is really great so I wouldn't have an issue with going to the hospital if I did end up going into labor 3 hours away. 

Enjoy the wedding!! :D I'm 3 days from my due date and I don't see my LO coming anytime soon either.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Options
    If it was me i would plan to go. If something happens on the day/close to the time im sure your cousin would understand. In saying that though thats just me. You do whatever you feel comfortable. I went 4 hours away from my hospital when i was 36 weeks, but i was okay with the unlikely event of going into labor. If you hate the thought of a long car ride in early labor, or the slight possibility that you may have the baby out of town, then dont go. 
  • Options
    I was induced at 35 weeks so no, I wouldn't travel. we had to stay at the RMH anyway since we lived in a small town but it would have been nice to be at a nicu close to home/family
  • Options
    Eh, I wouldn't go and I wouldn't think twice about it.  

Things don't happen until they do.  There is no way to know if any complications will pop up and you could be completed closed up one day and dilated the next.  Pregnancy is unpredictable and unfortunately, it's tough to schedule things when you're so close to the end.  Having great health insurance doesn't mean it will be in-network at every hospital.  I'd scout the local hospitals in the area and call your insurance provider to triple check.

However, it's your call.  Just be sure you've done all your research and prep if you do decide to go and hope baby stays put.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker