Breastfeeding

Nursing to sleep

so my 7 month old is fab, he's breastfed to sleep every night at 7pm and sleeps until 6-7am. Thing is I'm worried that I shouldn't be nursing to sleep.....sometimes he's drowsy and goes down on his own, sometimes I've read him a story and he's gone off but mainly nursed to sleep. For naps I just wrap him in his blanket and carry him upstairs and he squirms a bit but drops off to sleep so isn't relying on nursing for naps. Should I try and change my nighttime routine? I know it means I have to put him to sleep and I do worry but I work for myself and if I'm going out (hardly ever!) then I go once I've put him down......thoughts please :-)

Re: Nursing to sleep

• I don't have any advice because I'm in almost the exact same boat.  I sometimes worry that I'm setting myself up for trouble later, but I decided that it's working now so I'll cross that bridge when/if it comes.  I'm going with the "it's not broke so don't fix it" philosophy.  :) I know people who are so jealous of my wonderful little sleeper.  So I'm not willing to risk a change that turns me into a zombie like they are!
  • Nursing to sleep is so biologically perfect. Makes baby tired, makes mom tired, and fills baby's belly before bed. I really believe it's sleep training in its own way. If it ain't broke... ;)
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Loading the player...
  • I agree! We used to nurse to sleep every night until my supply dried up   :'(
    LO has no trouble now going to sleep without nursing. He doesn't even require a bottle right before bed. If you and LO are enjoying it do it for as long as you'd like. 
  • It's only a problem if you don't want to do it anymore.

I still nurse my 9 month old to sleep at night, and plan to continue until I either dry up or she doesn't want to do it anymore.  For naps we usually give her a bottle first at home, but at daycare they just drop her in the crib whenever she looks tired and she falls asleep on her own.

• https://kellymom.com/bf/normal/comfortnursing/
    It is natural!

I love it and I dont want to stop. It seems like the most natural thing in the world 

• delujm0 said:

It's only a problem if you don't want to do it anymore.

I still nurse my 9 month old to sleep at night, and plan to continue until I either dry up or she doesn't want to do it anymore.  For naps we usually give her a bottle first at home, but at daycare they just drop her in the crib whenever she looks tired and she falls asleep on her own.

Exactly this. If it's working for you, no reason to change.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • For me, nursing to sleep was a pain in the butt. He would be asleep on me and wake up not long after I lied him down. I would do this over and over and it was so draining. About 5/6 months we put him in the room right next to us and taught him to fall asleep on his own. Helped immensely with his ability to self soothe and woke us up less at night. To each their own though!
  • I think we nursed to sleep until around a year... then baby started staying up about an hr afterwards... just cuddling and smiling and trying to walk. it was precious. enjoy it :)
    + 6/1/11, due 2/12/12. natural m/c @ 8wks
    + 9/3/11, due May 2012. overdue baby born healthy!
    + 8/3/15, natural m/c @ 5wks
    + 1/4/16, due 9/14/16

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I still nurse my 20 month old to sleep when he falls asleep. Sometimes he falls asleep sometimes he's done and still awake and I put him down and he self soothes for two minuts and hes out .he basically started doing this on his own I never pressured him he always nursed to sleep and one day he didn't  while bfing and I laid him down and he was fine  I say just keep doing what your doing if its working for you:) he will eventually sleep on his own and he seems like he's already doing fine with naps.