January 2016 Moms

Vaccines (not an argument of: for or against)

Have any other moms gotten the first round of shots and then regretted it? I know it's too late to change because it is already done, but I feel.. I don't know... Guilty?? My daughter is 3 months old and ever since the first round of shots,which included an oral rotavirus vaccine, she has had very green poop with lots of mucus and obvious stomach pain. I have taken her to the doctor, changed my diet, tried pumping and feeding, and it seems like it has just stayed the same... I get anxious. Like near panic inducing anxiety thinking that my decision is what made her sick. But part of me thinks I have ppd that is rearing its ugly head as extreme anxiety. Please please please no hate. I have been struggling with this for a while and I am just reaching out for support or advice. 

Re: Vaccines (not an argument of: for or against)

• l4rkl4rk member
    Even if it was the vaccines, and that's a big IF because I doubt the side effects would last this long, you can't beat yourself up for doing what you thought was best. That's all any of us can do -- our best at the time with the information and abilities we have. We're going to make mistakes along the way, and that's okay! It doesn't make us bad moms or terrible people. Your actions were out of love and your intentions were good. That's all that matters. Give yourself a break, mama! You're doing a great job.

As for LO'a digestive issues, I would go back to the doctor. You're right that something seems off. I would also talk to the doctor about your feelings because it could be PPD and you don't have to just endure this anxiety. 
  • @l4rk is right. It's unnerving to put anything that's not milk in your baby's mouth if your ebf. That rota virus oral made me super anxious. And ds was inconsolable all night it was awful! I felt so so guilty. But if you've ever had a sick, you'd wish there was vaccine for everything. Those illnesses are super scary. I wish there was one for rsv. Ds#1 was hospitalized for that nasty bug. And had to do breathing treatments for a year+.
    As for the digestive issues... My littles man has green slimy poops at certain times of the day sometimes, late afternoon when my supply is lowest. He's fussy and pulling in and off an whatnot. Not getting the hind milk. When he finally naps and wakes up I've had time to make more milk and he's happy. Take a nursing vacation with lo. Take her to bed with you and Netflix and nurse away! Cuddle all weekend.it might fix any fire milk hind milk imbalance and will make you both feel better.
  • Loading the player...
  • It does sound like it might be a good idea to talk to your doc about your anxiety.  As far as the vaccines goes, even if they are the cause, which seems unlikely, what you're describing is way better than her getting any of those diseases.  Don't feel guilty, you're doing great, mama!
  • Please talk to your dr about your anxiety. I didn't with my first and I still regret it. As for icky poops, LO's were terrible when I was on antibiotics for mastitis so we started giving her an infant probiotic and they got much better. The one that was recommended by my food allergy group is made by Klaire Labs. Just make sure if you try it to not even give them close to the recommended dose of 1/4 t. to begin. I dip my pinky tip in the jar (it's a powder) and rub a tiny bit on her gums.
  • I have severe PPA and talking to my Dr helped so much,  they ended up giving me some medication just for a few  months and it leveled me out.  I feel like a different person and can enjoy my baby.  You can do this.  
  • Most definitely talk to your doctor about your anxiety and possible PPD. I was treated for PPD the day after I had DD2 with medication and I also go to therapy. My DD2 has had that exact same type of stool but her shots were over a week ago. I would just make sure to talk to your baby's doctor about it for their opinion on it.
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    What did the pedi have to say about the new onset stomach pain and green poop? That sounds so frustrating and stressful. This may or may not help but maybe you could do some additional research about the diseases the vaccines are protecting your daughter against. Then you could see that even if the vaccines caused this, which for what it's worth I don't think it did but IF it did at least she is protected against these fatal illnesses which in my opinion would be far worse than stomach pains as horrible as that is :( I hope your daughter starts to feel better soon and try not to worry I'm sure you're doing an amazing job! We protect our children from what we can and that's exactly what you chose to do when you got her vaccinated! 
  • As previous posters have said I'd def talk to your doctor about PPA. I too am dealing with this and when I have an episode I become so obsessed that something I did or that something is so wrong with him I become immobilized by it. I'm talking with a therapist to find coping mechanisms to deal with it as I wanted to try this first before medication. But just do what is best for you! 

As far as the vaccinations I know you were acting in the best interest of your baby and I personally feel what you are experiencing now is far less scary than if he contracts one of the illnesses they are preventing. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way!
  • It can't be repeated enough, talk to your doctor about the anxiety. You don't have to feel that way. 

My LO just had her 2 month vaccines. I cried when she cried but I know she's really being protected from the really bad stuff. Press the stomach pain issue with LO's pediatrician. Who knows what is causing it? 

And because it's so important to me. The number and perceived risk of vaccines is scary but they are important and effective at protecting your LO from deadly and debilitating diseases that are forgotten in our society (but making a comeback as people voluntarily refuse the protection vaccines offer). You are doing the right thing. 
  • Sorry your kiddo is having trouble but don't feel guilty at all about that rota virus vaccine.  I have had rota virus as an adult and it was weeks of terrible stomach cramping and illness. I am so glad I didn't have children then because I could barely move I was so sick.  
  • You're doing great mama! I couldn't remember which vaccine the oral one was but I'll take your word that its rota virus. When the nurse gave it to her she said it was a live virus so perhaps that could be the stomach issues but maybe I misunderstood. For sure press it with your pedi.

as for ppd, go to your dr and get her help. Better safe then sorry and it getting worse. You're doing amazing! I cried when LO got her shots. Breaks your heart. 
  • I just gave my almost 3 month old the rotavirus oral vaccine a few days ago as well and since then she's been more crabby, crying more (tummy issues maybe) and throwing up more as well. I guess it's a right of passage, and as previous mammas have said above plz don't feel guilty were all doing the best we can, and better now a bit sick then contracting the full disease later. If it eases your mind I read that it takes a few weeks, 3 I think for any side effects to fade. Your doing the best for ur LO. Hang in there mamma, this too shall pass 
  • Thank you everyone! Soo much. It's been really hard with this going on and the anxiety it has made me a mess. It's so hard because when I try to talk to my family they don't take it seriously. My mother kind of laughed it off like I was being silly. I know she was trying to help by down playing it.... I guess, but it didn't help. I called the nurses line today and tried to get them to do a stool sample test before I bring her in but they said they wanted to see her first which is frustrating imo. I want her to get better and I'll do whatever it takes but I've read that other moms having these problems were able to take the sample in first which makes the most sense to me. 
  • For what it's worth, my oldest was sick after every single vaccine. Really messy poops, a cold, slight fevers, stomach issues etc the works. It usually didn't last more than a week total, but in the grand scheme of things a week is nothing. I cried every time he got his shots although I'm getting better about that with the second kiddo, and my DH had to go with me for emotional support. It's ok to be upset about everything, but if it is overwhelming your every thought and action, definitely talk to a doctor about it. PPD can hit anytime up to almost 2 years after your baby is born. Babies are a huge guessing game of "what's happening?!" and it is very frustrating and depressing and overwhelming.

For the slimy poop, is your kiddo a big drooler? If the kiddo's swallow a lot of drool it can cause slimy, mucusy poop. It is a very common teething issue and teething can be happening months before any teeth actually begin to cut through. It is very frustrating when your little bub's mouth hurts and there is no visible reason for it until suddenly weeks later teeth pop out. 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker