Trouble TTC
Options

Keto Diet for PCOS?

I have been reading a lot about PCOS, insulin resistance and keto diets, and I've been finding a lot of research talking about a keto diet as beneficial for PCOS, and I am just wondering if anyone has tried this, and if it worked for them? I just started trying the keto diet (I am on day 2 only...but have lost 4lbs...most likely just water weight), and am really hoping that at the very least it helps me get AF naturally (AF usually comes about once a year naturally). In reading about it, it seems to make sense as my FS described PCOS as insulin built up around the ovaries, and a keto diet means cutting out sugar. If anyone is interested, I can let you know what comes of it as well, but I would love to hear if anyone has tried this before and if it worked, or if it didn't work! 

Me: 31 DH: 32
Married: 10/4/14, Together Since: 5/21/06
Children: 1 (girl, 3 years)

TTTC #1 since April 2015, Started Treatment Dec 2015
5 Cycles of IF treatment until BFP! (IUI, Gonal-F, Letrozole)
BFP: September 5th, 2016
Born: May 22, 2017

TTTC #2 since September 2020, Currently in Testing phase 

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Keto Diet for PCOS?

• Options
    I've never heard of this diet but am intrigued. Pass long any sites you trust/recommend- :)
    TTC since May 2013
    Mild PCOS, Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    No Folic acid/pharmaceuticals/supplements (too many to list- private message me if interested), IVIL infusion
  • Options
    I've never heard of this diet but am intrigued. Pass long any sites you trust/recommend- :)
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1334192/

This one appears to be a pretty reputable study! 

https://www.fertilitychef.com/ketogenic-diet-for-pcos/ 

This site also maintains the same thing and cites the same study! 

https://healthygamergirl.com/pcos-and-a-ketogenic-diet/

It also makes sense to me as my FS told me that PCOS is a build up of insulin around the ovaries, and I know Metformin (a medication for diabetes - where you need to decrease sugar intake) is also used for PCOS. It seems to be a good idea in theory, but I just wish I knew more about it. If it improves things for me during this cycle, I will definitely let you know as well! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've never heard this either but it does sort of make sense - how is the keto diet for carbs? Because I know for PCOS it's not just sugars but also carbs you have to reduce.  What can you eat on a keto diet?

Married since 2011

TTC since Oct 2014
    DOR + MFI
    3 failed IUIs; IVF August 2017
    FET January 2018 - BFP
  • Options
    @seethosestars - That's exactly what a keto diet is....a very very low carb diet - which includes reducing sugar, but also includes not eating any starchy foods (breads, pasta, potatoes, corn, etc.). The idea behind a keto diet is eating less than 20-50g of carbs per day (depending on your body) to put your body into ketosis, reducing its sugar dependency, and increasing insulin resistance.

On a keto diet you can eat protein (meats, peanut butter), vegetables (just be careful with starchy ones like corn and carrots), dairy (be careful with the amount of lactose though - cheese is usually good and I like plain low fat Greek yogurt!), soups, chili, and basically any meal with a meat with a side of vegetable and salads are always good too! It's basically higher fat, higher protein and lower carbs! Hope that helps! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    That sounds very similar to the pcos diet. when I quit sugar my headaches lessened which was very helpful.  Watch dairy though, it is linked to increased testosterone levels. I find cheese the hardest thing to give up! Keep us posted on your progress.
    TTC since May 2015 with domestic partner of 13 years. Me 33 OH 33.  No ovulation or natural menstruation. Normal SA.
    Diagnosed PCOS February 2016
    First cycle 50mg Clomid 5/3/16, O'd CD 19 BFN
    Second cycle 50mg Clomid 6/1/16 O'd CD 18 BFN
    Third cycle Clomid 6/29/16 O'd CD 16 BFP @11dpo!
    EDD April 3 and praying things work out!
  • Options
    Thanks for the links! Just saw them :) I have such a hard time giving up carbs & sugar (I've gotten used to gluten free though) but i am really motivated to try this. Thank you again!
    TTC since May 2013
    Mild PCOS, Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    No Folic acid/pharmaceuticals/supplements (too many to list- private message me if interested), IVIL infusion
  • Options
    I am on a low glycemic diet for PCOS based on some reading about how beneficial it can be. Never heard of the keto diet but it seems similar. However, my diet does encourage whole grain carbs along with a protein - just not a lot of them. I might read more into the keto diet, thanks for the info!

• Options
    I use to have the craziest sugar cravings...I would day dream about skittles at work and then would HAVE TO have them, as it turns out many other women with PCOS struggle with sugar addiction and crazy sweet cravings too.  Just quit cold turkey, it sucks for a few days but it gets better soon. Dr. Furman has a good 3 day sugar detox you can google, he also has a video from a segment he did on Dr. Oz about his sugar detox diet.
    TTC since May 2015 with domestic partner of 13 years. Me 33 OH 33.  No ovulation or natural menstruation. Normal SA.
    Diagnosed PCOS February 2016
    First cycle 50mg Clomid 5/3/16, O'd CD 19 BFN
    Second cycle 50mg Clomid 6/1/16 O'd CD 18 BFN
    Third cycle Clomid 6/29/16 O'd CD 16 BFP @11dpo!
    EDD April 3 and praying things work out!
  • Options
    @sarahmsoda - That is so helpful to hear....it definitely sounds similar!
    @Ducks&Cats - I was the EXACT same way....and didn't realize that PCOS and sugar addiction went hand in hand, but it makes complete sense. Diabetes also runs in my family, so I wonder if that is possibly a factor as well. You are completely right though....after 3 days of no sugar, I wasn't even craving it anymore. 

What I am kind of getting from everyone is that it seems like the overall idea all around is less sugar = better for PCOS....which is what I am quite hopeful for going into my next cycle, as I have severely limited my sugar intake this time around. 

Thanks so much for all of your comments! Greatly appreciated!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I have PCOS as well but my glucose tests came back that I was non-insulin resistant. I changed my eating to a low carb diet anyway! It's unreal how many carbs are in ALL foods! Their almost impossible to avoid, but I'm getting better about picking the right kinds of carbs. I'm going to look into this keto diet!! Thanks!
  • Options
    @mrsdaddario - So glad to hear that this helped you! I hope it works! Carbs are everywhere....especially in the good stuff!~

BabyFetus Ticker