May 2016 Moms
Options

Dogs and baby

Hi mummies to be, me and my husband is now currently living with his parents, at his parents house while waiting for our new home which will be ready not so soon, in about 3 years time. Problem is, they have 7 dogs in the house! Is the environment safe for a newborn baby? 

Re: Dogs and baby

• Options
    That's a lot of dogs! I can't tell you if that's safe or not, but it's important to be very cautious with baby & dog no matter how many you have. 

I have 1 lab and my parents brought home a hat that my newborn had worn the first day after she was born. My parents let my dog sniff the hat (we were still in the hospital) and kept the hat with my dog after they left. After we brought the baby home we let the dog sniff the baby and we're constantly monitoring his reaction to the baby. Over time he got used to her and we never had any problems. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It depends on the dog, but most dogs are fine with them. The just sort of know that they're babies. We have a golden retriever mix who was 2 and a half when we brought home DS and he just kinda looked at him and sniffed him, turned around and sniffed my belly, and accepted it. He was protective and gentle with him from day 1. Even now at almost 5, and DS at 2, he's very gentle and patient with him.
    May siggy challenge - Parenting Fails

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    All good points, I would just add with 7 dogs that if any of them shed that's a lot of fur. So I'd be careful of tummy time and especially once they start crawling. 
  • Options
    It really depends on each dog. But if they aren't used to being around kids or babies I would be extra careful. My English bulldog thinks she is super dainty and petite (she definitely isn't lol) so she really won't be in the room for tummy time but she'll know the baby and I know that in the past she has done really well with being introduced to a new baby 
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • Options
    I agree with @TheThornBird. We have a Boston Terrier and German shepherd. With my son who is 20 months now, we sadly had to place our shepherd in another loving home when my son turned 1.  It was a horrible horrible time but we tried everything to make it work. Unfortunately she (the shepherd) was not having the changes. I felt extremely uneasy and would never even leave them close to each other. It sucked. I had her since she was a puppy (she is 7). But ultimately it was the best thing for everyone. I was hesitate to admit there was an issue but my best advice is that you never know how a dog is going to react to a baby. You just have to be very vigilant. Don't be afraid to recognize if there is a problem. It's a big transition for everyone to include the dog(s). 
  • Options
    I cannot imagine the amount of fur around with 7 dogs.  We have three and I am struggling with the fur from just them!   As PPs have mentioned, never leave them unattended together.
    Something we are doing is gradually trying to wean them from their couch and bed privileges.  I'm having a harder time "training" DH to accept this vs the dogs themselves lol. 

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Options
    I agree with @TheThornBird. We have a Boston Terrier and German shepherd. With my son who is 20 months now, we sadly had to place our shepherd in another loving home when my son turned 1.  It was a horrible horrible time but we tried everything to make it work. Unfortunately she (the shepherd) was not having the changes. I felt extremely uneasy and would never even leave them close to each other. It sucked. I had her since she was a puppy (she is 7). But ultimately it was the best thing for everyone. I was hesitate to admit there was an issue but my best advice is that you never know how a dog is going to react to a baby. You just have to be very vigilant. Don't be afraid to recognize if there is a problem. It's a big transition for everyone to include the dog(s). 
    What was the dog doing that made you uneasy? (Having an issue with my dog is one of my biggest pg fears, btw..,)
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I grew up with working breed dogs and we have 2 large working breed dogs in the house with our toddler and did from birth.  This coming baby will have the same experience.  We have trained the dogs.  The training is ongoing and we also have to exercise them often and keep their minds active so they can be well adjusted and happy.  They require a lot.  We have to step up to give them that as that is our job as dog owners. 

We have baby gates to separate parts of the house when we can't have direct eye contact on everyone at once.  We have also watched other people's dogs for short periods in our home during that time period of when baby was born to now. 
    I know dogs, I like dogs, and I liked growing up with dogs myself and like that my LO is too.  We have taught LO how to act around animals. 
    However, never do I trust either the dogs (or most dogs in general) or LO for a second.  It is my job as the human adult to supervise all interactions in the household and I take it very seriously. 

Even with that being said 7 dogs that are not mine and not under my control and watchful eye would be a complete and total deal breaker for me.  Not even negotiable.  I have seen too much in the dog world.  Most people do not take dog behavior seriously and have no idea what to look for and mistakes are too costly here. 

Dog training is a large investment in time and money and it is a way of life for dogs with any issues, are they willing to go for that?  Are they willing to gate off areas?  Are they willing to 100% respect your feelings as LO's mother on this?  Or will they figure they know best for your baby?  Are they willing to clean more frequently once baby is on the move, including frequent steam cleaning of carpets - in addition to all the extra vacuuming per day?  Will any of the dogs eat baby toys, who will replace them?

My experience with an in law who liked to bring a large breed pet dog for overnights (that has attempted to bite people before) are that the relative would miss the signals and even when asked would not keep the dog away from our baby/toddler, instead insisting the dog was great around kids or whatever else was the phrase of the day that day,  basically it wasn't a big deal to that owner that the dog had a history and the parents wished to keep that history and their child separate. 

I have seen a lot of attitudes like that, where the owners believe their dog is just the friendliest thing ever and so sweet, etc., yet the signs and signals are all there that the dog is not comfortable and is not "being friendly" at all. 

That was just one dog, not 7.  I would not keep my own baby, toddler, or young child with 7 dogs that are not my own in the in laws house. 
  • Options
    @vinerie as my son started becoming more mobile (not quite walking yet) she became way more uneasy. She didn't want to be close to him and anytime he got close to her she would get very nervous and growl. Her ears would go back and she was noticeably irritated by his presence.  We put up baby gates to keep DS I. Playroom and she would lay in front of gate and open mouth growl. That's when we noticed serious and obvious Changes. We tried everything with her. So tough to let her go but she was depressed and not eating either. Just wasn't fair at all to her and my mother babysits and was extremely uneasy with her behavior change.  Looking back the signs were so obvious but I think my husband and I were hoping that having our trainer back and more exercise etc would help. And when it didn't we realized we had to do something else. Hope this doesn't happen to you. Our other dog is awesome and he and DS are best friends
  • Options
    Can't say if it's safe per se. I had 4 when DD1 came. We made sure to send someone home with blankets she had been wrapped in while we were still in the hospital. We have more issues now with her being a bit rough with them then we did when she first came home. We designated areas the dogs weren't allowed to go in the house and sometimes had to crate them when they got too overprotective of her.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    @kbrands7 we have two dogs who won't leave my almost 2 year old (DD2) alone when she has food. We have just been separating the dogs and DD2 into different rooms when it's meal or snack time using baby gates. We also have to keep DD2 away from the dogs when we feed them because DD2 wants to eat the food too. Luckily both dogs are very low key and not protective of their food but we quick to separate so that there isn't an issue in the future
  • Options
    Thank you all mummies to be for the replies. If there was only just one or two dogs in the house, there wouldn't be a problem in managing between my baby and the furkids. But there are 7 of them! Their breeds are Pomeranian, chihuahua and mixed breeds(chihuahua + poodle). The amount of fur they shed is alot, we could see balls of furs lying around the house and on our clothings. They tend to be very playful around each other, biting and playing, barking and growling. And also, they are not well toilet trained. They tend to do their business around the house, which make the house littering with patches of pee/poop. We have thought of millions of ways to train them, but it's hard as they would forget all about it the next day. I understand some dogs are gentle, obedient and all, but sometimes when I am at the living room on the sofa, they would just jump around, even on my tummy whilst I was carrying a 30 weeks baby bump. 
  • Options
    Oh no..... Dogs s"@# contains parasites, which is lethal, especially to sight. Any dog can become unpredictable, even after training they are animals.... Just the whole sanitary factor makes me concerned, but also wen LO is active, wen dogs play/fight amounts themselves they don't have caution, so could knock down or jump on baby. I was bitten on the cheek by my tame friendly dog wen I was young because I wanted it to wake up to play with me, up until that day we were best if friends( adding not dogs fault, just basic instinct).
  • Options
    Yes, and also, I will not want my baby to have any fur on his toys or his clothing. Have brought this matter up to my in laws, but they feel that it is alright to have 7 dogs around a baby. When mentioned about the amount of fur issue to them, they said that the fur doesn't inflict any health issues to the newborn baby. I guess the only way is to keep my baby in the room 24/7. Feeling very helpless!  :(
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    So they are already dismissing your concerns as a mother for your own newborn. 
    Find a way to leave. Your in laws won't be on your side concerning their 7 dogs; where does DH stand in this? 
  • Options
    Pardon me! What does DH stands for? 
  • Options
    Husband
  • Options
    Oh I see. My husband stands the same point of view with me. Before we even got pregnant with our boy, we already couldn't stand the cleanliness around the house, but there was no choice as it wasn't our decision to let them go for adoption by other families. He is very concerned with the amount of fur that will affect our baby, as our clothes will always have lots of fur and he gets real pissed when there's lots of fur on his work suit. Not to mention for our baby, I'm sure there will be lots of fur on his toys/clothing. Will the fur actually cause any health issues to the baby? 
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I have 3 pets living in the house and our clothes (especially work clothes) & baby toys/blankets are not covered with fur like you are describing.  We clean often and groom the dogs often (bath, brushing, nails, etc.).  Also we do not allow our dogs in LO's room or the nursery. 
    This is a great question to ask the pediatrician you have picked out.  Most ask standard questions, including how many pets and what kind. 
    Personally I would be concerned about the puddles and other business in the house on the floor where LO will be rollling and crawling and how your LO will be crawling right at bite/scratch/paw in the face level given their behavior. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't be concerned about the dog hair myself. I live with a German Shepherd mix and an Akita mix in a 990-sq.ft. condo, so if I were prone to caring about shedding, I'd have lost my mind a long time ago. Dog hair on clothes is just a fact of life to me.

I would care, a lot, about having a newborn baby exposed to seven poorly housetrained dogs' worth of pee and poop, not to mention their (apparently) rowdy behavior and the owners' lack of concern. If they can't be bothered to even potty train their own dogs, let alone address the other issues... well, that's not promising, and personally I'd be looking for somewhere else to stay.
  • Options
    They pee and poop in the house? Gross. House training them all is possible, but it's going to be a *lot* of work and you won't be able to do it with a newborn. The rowdiness can also be addressed with training and providing them with other outlets for their energy, but again, that'll also have to be someone else's responsibility. 

I asked my OB and pediatrician about fur and they weren't too concerned, as long as overall everything was fairly clean. The poop is way more concerning for me. 

However, your in-laws do have a right to keep their dogs since it is their home. In my own work with families, I've found it's much better for everyone involved to work together and make compromises, rather than make demands ("you need to get rid of the dog" "it's your dog so you need to do XYZ" etc). If you can, try to find a good trainer with experience working with families that can help you find solutions that work for your entire family. 
  • Options
    We have two dogs so cleaning up dog hair around the apartment and from our clothes is just a part of our lives (I sometimes feel like I keep the lint roller people in business). We only have one major shedder but it is still a daily chore. The baby's things are not getting hair on them though because I've found ways to store them and I keep the bassinet covered and other large things covered. I've actually held off on putting together the rockaroo and born bouncer because I don't want to add more things to clean until we get closer. My H thinks I'm being silly and I know that eventually some of her things will get dog hair on them and I'll just have to be vigilant about cleaning it because it bothers me. I'm not worried there is a health risk. 

Like PP have said, the pee and poo on the floor is very troubling and there is no quick fix. I know you mentioned you are with your in laws for the next three years but is there any way you can move out sooner? Is it possible you can find a more sanitary temporary living situation? I just can't imagine how your situation can be solved in the short time before the baby comes, dog training takes a lot of work and is a huge commitment that the entire household needs to make. We invested a lot of time and money to train our dogs when we rescued them and even with daily reinforcement they still have their challenges. 
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your experiences in this discussion. Training them to do their business is tough I swear, and sadly my in laws sort of gave up in potty training them anymore. As to what TheThornBird mentioned, my in laws have the absolute right to decide whether or not to keep the dogs, and we are working together in keeping the house clean almost every day. I must admit, even until now when I'm at 31weeks preggy, I am still helping to clean and pick up their pee/poop laying around the house. (And honestly I'm quite sick and tired of it, imagine having to clean up the whole house every single day?) 
    Sadly, our only choice is to wait for our new home that is coming in 3 years, as the house that we are getting is "built-to-order". I guess the only solution is to let my baby spend more time at my own place (my parents'), and lesser time spent at my in laws'. And to keep utmost attention not to let my baby be left alone with the 7 dogs or letting him be exposed to the area where they always do their business at. Best way is to let my baby be in our room, and not letting the dogs in. Any better ideas?
  • Options
    During the last four months that my MIL was living with us, she was receiving care from an in-home hospice organization. Which meant that we had a nurse coming in on some days (DH is also a nurse and was able to take care of most stuff) to check on her with increasing visits towards the end, another nurse who was responsible for making sure she was clean/bathed, a PT therapist once a week (at the beginning), and various in-laws coming in and out all the time. 

My dog was so stressed out by the situation that she completely forgot her house training and started leaving messes for us to find all over the house. 

The only solution I could find was to make sure that we let her out frequently - every three to four hours, and on a schedule if possible - which greatly helped to reduce the amount of messes we would be cleaning up later. We regularly rented a steam cleaner to wash the carpeted areas where she would go most frequently, and kept the carpet as clean as possible in between rentals so she would be less likely to smell herself in that area and be tempted to make yet another mess. We also put a baby gate up in the area leading to MIL's room and the nursery, so she couldn't make messes in that area. 

Puppy pads never helped. She just ignored them. 

MIL passed away in December, and we've been sticking to the stuff we were doing before. It's been a VERY gradual process, but it's been getting longer and longer in between the times I'd have to clean up after her. The last time I had to do anything was about four weekends ago, which is a huge improvement. 

I'm dreading how things will go when LO is here - hopefully there won't be a backslide. 

There's a big difference between training one dog vs several, but maybe you can talk to your in-laws about some of these things? Like during the day, make sure they get frequent and regular bathroom breaks. And at night, let them out anytime you get out of bed (you and DH will probably be getting up every few hours anyway). 

Definitely block off the area(s) you will be staying in, and talk to your ILs about taking care of the carpets if you can get them on board. Invest in a good vacuum cleaner and use it regularly on the carpets/upholstery that the dogs have access to. Fur might be harmless, but seven dogs' worth is an awful lot. Especially if you live somewhere that summer is about to start, in which case they will be shedding even more. 

Personally, I'd be keeping my eye out for other options in the meantime in terms of places to stay. But hopefully some of these things will help you get some peace of mind until then. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Not to be a fuss pot, but doesn't inhaling dog fur create allergies/ breathing problems? I know it can be an irritation if you all ready suffer from asthma.
    i think door gates and restricted access to certain areas in the house is Deffo a way to go. At least ud be able to keep those areas sanitary. Anyway they could have their own space outside ie kennels.
  • Options
    My concern would be regarding the dog breeds. The ones you mentioned, particularly chichuahuas, are known for being aggressive. Often pet owners just see them and their signs of aggression as 'cute,' not taking them seriously due to their small size.

The fact they aren't 100% house trained is just gross and dangerous to your kid's health.

Instead of saving up to buy a place in a few years, it sounds like you'd be better off finding somewhere else now.
  • Options
    This our first baby. We have let our dog be part of the nesting process from the start. We have been letting her "inspect" every new item coming to the house. We let her sniff the clothes, blankets, bedding, furniture, etc. We let her come in the baby's room when we are working. We plan on putting one of her dog beds in there for her to lay down while we're feeding, reading, rocking, etc.
    When the baby comes, we are planning on bringing the dog used clothes and blankets from the hospital home for her to inspect, and we are being very insistent to the dog sitters that the dog has to be at the house before the baby comes home. We dont want to sneak the baby in while she's gone. We want to make sure the dog knows we are bringing something new into her home. Is it really "her" home? No, but we don't want something new to "invade" her space and make her to possibly become territorial.
    She is a beagle/hound mix. We are hoping that involving her as much as we can will help. (We've even been practicing walks with the stroller, which she has been ok walking beside. Embarrassing to walk an empty stroller, but benificial to know she isn't scared, etc. of the stroller.) We are lucky to have such a great dog, but they're an animal, and can be very unpredictable. We're not taking any chances. 
  • Options
    You can't really make them outside dogs since they are all tiny. I would invest in several gates, a good vacuum, Nature's Miracle pet mess cleaner, and possibly a carpet steamer. Do they have some sort of indoor crate/kennel/room? That might help when you need a break from them. Can you train them to use potty pads? It might be easier than getting them to go outside and the mess will be contained to the potty pad. Set up a lot of potty pads in a designated room and keep them in there so they get the idea, give them more freedom as they get better at using the pads. 

Also really get everyone on board with never leaving the baby alone with the dogs loose. Look for training books that have pictures of when dogs are giving stress signals because it is so much easier to understand with pictures.
  • Options
    I guess this is more of a vent rather than asking for advice... Though advice is very welcome  :# anyways, I'm 34 weeks and it's starting to hit me that baby will be here before we know it. I feel pretty ready and prepared, but there's one thing that has me worried... My fiancés dog, a three year old lab. I know most people are thinking "labs are great with kids!" But unfortunately our guy isn't. He is so attached to DH that he will fight off our other dog when he tries to pet her instead. He has knocked me over a few times during pregnancy for food, and will do anything necessary to be the center of attention. Its almost like he knows life is about to change because he has been acting up so much lately, even trying to start fights with the neighbors dog. He really isn't a bad dog... He has been great as a hunting dog for DH where he gets all the attention he needs, im just starting to freak out about bringing an infant here. We've been working hard on training him for a while now, but its just not getting better  :| DH is convinced that when we bring baby home the dog will magically change and start acting perfectly... 
  • Options
    Norway23 said:
    I guess this is more of a vent rather than asking for advice... Though advice is very welcome  :# anyways, I'm 34 weeks and it's starting to hit me that baby will be here before we know it. I feel pretty ready and prepared, but there's one thing that has me worried... My fiancés dog, a three year old lab. I know most people are thinking "labs are great with kids!" But unfortunately our guy isn't. He is so attached to DH that he will fight off our other dog when he tries to pet her instead. He has knocked me over a few times during pregnancy for food, and will do anything necessary to be the center of attention. Its almost like he knows life is about to change because he has been acting up so much lately, even trying to start fights with the neighbors dog. He really isn't a bad dog... He has been great as a hunting dog for DH where he gets all the attention he needs, im just starting to freak out about bringing an infant here. We've been working hard on training him for a while now, but its just not getting better  :| DH is convinced that when we bring baby home the dog will magically change and start acting perfectly... 
    What training have you been doing? Are you able to work with a professional trainer? I can give you recommendations. 

And tell your hubby this professional dog trainer says he will *not* magically get better when the baby arrives, he'll probably get worse!
  • Options
    Norway23Norway23 member
    edited April 2016
    Yeah agreed it definitely won't get better when baby is born! DH is just so convinced that his training is all thats needed, he doesn't want to spend the money on a professional trainer :/ Training wise, we are trying to teach him to be more independent and back off his "sister" when she is getting attention. No surprise its not working too well. Ill be alone with dogs and baby when he's born since DH works so much, so I think its just kinda denial on his part since he wants everything to work out so perfectly. 
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    EErin86 said:
    You can't really make them outside dogs since they are all tiny. Set up a lot of potty pads in a designated room and keep them in there so they get the idea
    She cannot tell them what to do in regards of keeping the dogs inside, outside, or reasonably contained at times as it isn't her house and she does not own any of the dogs. 

OP, Hiding out in your room with baby in a house with 7 dogs who use the house as their bathroom and are not trained is not a good temporary solution- much less a 3 year solution. Speak with your DH. I hope you can get out there very soon. 
  • Options
    Norway23 said:
    Yeah agreed it definitely won't get better when baby is born! DH is just so convinced that his training is all thats needed, he doesn't want to spend the money on a professional trainer :/ Training wise, we are trying to teach him to be more independent and back off his "sister" when she is getting attention. No surprise its not working too well. Ill be alone with dogs and baby when he's born since DH works so much, so I think its just kinda denial on his part since he wants everything to work out so perfectly. 
    I think professional training is an extremely worthy investment. I would call tomorrow. Where do you live? I went through a training program called "Dog Training in your Home." You can google it as there are certified trainers associated with that brand. Anyway, the idea is combining one-on-one training with group training. The one-on-one training is tailored to meet your specific needs and issues. It's not cheap, but seriously, I think intense training pays off SO MUCH in the long run. I don't regret the money at all. It's easy to find people to watch my dog when I leave as she's so well behaved (as opposed to spending money on a  kennel) that that alone is worth the investment. But having that built-in communicative relationship is going to go a long way when the baby comes. If you are 34 weeks there is no time to lose. Start today!!! 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    TinaThoTinaTho member
    edited April 2016
    Norway23 said:
    What training have you been doing? Are you able to work with a professional trainer? I can give you recommendations. 

And tell your hubby this professional dog trainer says he will *not* magically get better when the baby arrives, he'll probably get worse!
    This.... A professional trainer is key. It will be important for both of you to work with the dog. If your dog is a rescue, many trainers will offer a discount. Short of your husband being an animal behaviorist even with his best efforts I don't think he could bring about the change you likely need to have a comfort level with the dog.

I will say that dogs can over time calm down when it comes to this. Sometimes it is a matter of exposure and de-sensitizing them. The first time ever that my 90 lb retriever mix saw me pick up a child he tried to knock him out of my arms. These days? He lays at my feet when I'm holding nieces and nephews. At this point, I'm hardly worried about him when it comes time to bring the baby home although we will be keeping to all of the standard introduction instructions: bringing home items that smell like the baby, walking in first to great the dogs alone post hospital before bringing the baby in etc.