June 2016 Moms
Options

Book recommendations

edited April 2016 in June 2016 Moms
Do you like to have printed books or Kindle editions?  Plus, what book recommendations do you have for a FTM?
TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Book recommendations 37 votes

Printed copies
78% 29 votes
Kindle/electronic editions
21% 8 votes

Re: Book recommendations

• Options
    I can't vote. I love hand held books soooo much. But since I got my kindle I love how easy it is for me to read at night while my husband falls asleep. And I like that I don't have bookcases cram filled with books I've only read once. And that I can easily buy a new book at 2am when I can't otherwise sleep. But I'm still partial to my hand held print books, the smell of books, the weight of them, and feeling the satisfaction as I see the bulk of the pages shift from the right to the left. 

I love books. Any and all!! I'm partial to British romantic comedy when I am looking for something light hearted. 
  • Options
    It honestly depends on the book. If it's a reference book, school book or something like a book of poetry I'm going to want to make notes on or read over and over again then I want the physical book. 

If it's a quick for fun read that I'm just checking out then I like the Kindle version to consolidate space. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wish "both" was an option :smile: 
    and what type of books are you interested in? Fiction, self help, romance, etc??
  • Options
    It depends on the book.  Most of the time I prefer a printed copy, but if it's a huge book, it's just easier to have on a kindle (ie, Ken Follett's massive 900+ page tomes).  Also, I commute to work (in the NYC area) so it's a lot lighter to have my kindle sometimes.  But I work in publishing so I have a soft spot for a real book.
  • Options
    I voted kindle - I love both, but when I was a FTM the ebooks saved my life!! Stuck napping with a cranky baby who won't let you put her down? You don't need to worry about turning pages or anything with an ebook. Just a simple (low movement, low sound) easy read you can do with one hand!!
  • Options
    MrsAlliKatMrsAlliKat member
    edited April 2016
    Like others have said,  it really depends on the book. I prefer my Kindle for novels and things I'll be reading straight through.  However,  for reference type books I prefer paper books.  I bought the Baby Bargains book on Kindle because I wanted it immediately,  but hate how I can't just easily flip through it to look for something. 

ETA: What type of recommendations are you looking for?  Fun reads or baby reads? 
  • Options
    Both depending on what I'm doing. I love a good hardcover and the smell of books (creepy?) but I love how easy my nook is too and the instant gratification of reading what I want within seconds and not going to the store 
  • Options
    I am a spine breaker so I love printed books. Plus I love the way thry smell. When e readers first came out I got one and books were cheaper. Now adays the ebook is more expensive than the paperback which sucks because there is no printing involved and it was one of the selling points. I do like the ease of getting books from my local library or ordering a book even when the store is closed..... It is always a toss up. 
  • Options
    I use both. I prefer a paper book, but I have so many of them that I started buying them for my kindle. I notice I don't read them as much on my kindle though. Most phones have a kindle app, at least my Samsung does, you should try that first, before buying a kindle.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I use my Kindle more simply because it's  cheaper. I average a novel every other day. It's my only hobby and I read very fast. If i paid $8 every other day, we'd be in the poor house lol

• Options
    Like others have said,  it really depends on the book. I prefer my Kindle for novels and things I'll be reading straight through.  However,  for reference type books I prefer paper books.  I bought the Baby Bargains book on Kindle because I wanted it immediately,  but hate how I can't just easily flip through it to look for something. 

ETA: What type of recommendations are you looking for?  Fun reads or baby reads? 
    This!
    DS 9/2/13 was a BFP from an IUI!
    Triplets due 6/29/16 also from an IUI!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I get books from the library so I do both. Whatever is available. 

I read BabyWise, I learned a lot! It's focused on sleep training based on a good feeding schedule and covers how to assess certain sleeping or eating issues that can come up. 

Im waiting on 'birthing from within' and 'guide to childbirth' because I want a med free labor. I'm a FTM though, but I do recommend BabyWise, especially since you are going back to work. I need my baby to sleep well at night so I'm not a zombie at work. 
  • Options
    TNvols27 said:
    I wish "both" was an option :smile: 
    and what type of books are you interested in? Fiction, self help, romance, etc??
    ^ This. I'm not going to vote because my answer is both. I still prefer holding a book, but I love the convenience of my kindle. 
    I don't have any suggestions right now, sorry. It's been too long since I've gotten to read for my own enjoyment. 
    Me: 30 || DH: 32
    Married: May 3, 2014 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

SaveSave
  • Options
    Reading ebooks is easier when taking care of a newborn. My clumsy stubby fingers struggle to manage a book in one hand while holding a baby in the other and those newborn days can be seriously boring while you're just holding an eating or sleeping baby all the time.

Favourite baby advice books: The Happiest Baby On The Block (ESSENTIAL if you have a collicky baby like I did!), The No-Cry Sleep Solution. That's about it. I don't love reading parenting books :/
  • Options
    I am a spine breaker so I love printed books. Plus I love the way thry smell. When e readers first came out I got one and books were cheaper. Now adays the ebook is more expensive than the paperback which sucks because there is no printing involved and it was one of the selling points. I do like the ease of getting books from my local library or ordering a book even when the store is closed..... It is always a toss up. 
    Agree, the cost is kind of annoying to me.  But I check out a lot of books from the library with my kindle.
  • Options
    I mostly get books from the library, and while they have a selection of ebooks, their selection is much better in paper copy, and I do enjoy the physical sensation of a book and turning actual pages. I do really really appreciate the convenience of reading an ebook using the Kindle app, especially when my daughter was going through a particularly rough patch of bedtime nursing around 1 year - reading on my phone was about the only thing I could successfully do in a dark room without distracting/disturbing her. I got through a lot of ebooks that year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have both. I just read pillars of the earth by Ken Follett and it may be one of the best books I have ever read, and I read a ton.
  • Options
    I like kindle books for books that I have to read for school or work. I get paperbacks if I really like them :)