January 2016 Moms

Waking baby to feed

is it necessary to wake baby to feed in the night at this stage?
She is almost 12 weeks and the other night she slept from half eleven until half seven but I felr guilty! 
Last night she wasn't stirring but I woke her to feed as I was totally full up! Those that dont wake - do you pump? Or will that fullness go away after my body realises it's not needed ??

Re: Waking baby to feed

• KFrobKFrob member
    My LO is also 12 weeks and usually a great sleeper. Our pedi told us not to wake her if she was sleeping through the night (I think it was at her one month appointment). I don't usually wake up to pump but I will wake up pretty engorged and some times leaky. Some days are worse than other like this morning my boobs were so sore. 
  • jodiedrich18jodiedrich18 member
    edited April 2016
    I don't personally wake LO up, she's at 11.5 weeks as she's growing and having lots of wet diapers throughout the day so I just follow her lead of what she does...she had several days in a row where she slept 8 hours in a single stretch before going back to her normal 5-6 hours during the first sleep stretch in the night and I woke up before her because I was so uncomfortable. I seem to wake up naturally if I'm getting too full and super uncomfortable and pumping at that point whenever I feel it. Usually my LO only eats off one breast around 1-2 am and i go back to sleep but i wind up waking up before she does to pump both breasts for a few minutes because one of them is super uncomfortable and then let LO nurse on the uncomfortable one when she wakes up around 5 am. I am also curious to know others experience as well if the fullness eventually adjusts when the LO starts sleeping longer!
  • Loading the player...
  • I have never woken little one up to eat.  She was a pretty big baby though (8 lbs 9 oz) and never had a problem putting on weight.  The fullness goes away eventually, I found that pumping when the baby isn't eating just makes the engorgement last longer.  I wake up feeling full now but not in pain.
  • Hen my baby was two weeks old, and gaining fine, the doctor said to stop waking her to eat. At her appt. Monday he sais now that she sleeps through the night if she wakes up in the middle of the night Do Not Feed Her. 
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Have you gad spotting as baby starts to sleep through the night? Is this normal? I didnt breastfeed my first.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have you gad spotting as baby starts to sleep through the night? Is this normal? I didnt breastfeed my first.
    Now that you mention it - there's been spotting today?! Is that linked?

Thanks for feedback guys - so hopefully the milk supply will adjust accordingly in time!
  • KFrobKFrob member
    I EP don't have any signs of a period yet even though I've hardly pumped at night since we switched to bottles at 5 or 6 days old. I'm curious to see how much longer I'll go without. 
  • I do not wake my baby to feed. I feed her around 7, put her to bed at about 8 (sometimes I put her to breast as part of going to bed), I pump at 10 pm, she wakes up at 2 then again sometime between 4:30-7 am. Lots of variance on that sleep time. Also if she falls asleep after eating from one side during the day,  I just let her nap.
    Married March 19, 2011
    TTC off and on 04/14
    BFP 06/13/14 MC 06/15/14
    BFP 12/14/14
    1st Appt 01/13/2015
    M/C 1/19/15 D&C 1/20/15
    BFP 5/13/15
    1st Appt 06/10/2015 Peanut has HB 150
    A/S 09/02/15 It's a Girl!! Low placenta, but everything else great!

IAmPregnant Ticker

• @JanMommy2under2  I think that's normal. My midwife said making sure baby nurses or I pump between midnight and 5 am was key to delaying the return of my period.