November 2016 Moms

How much m/s is too much?

I'm having almost constant nausea and haven't been able to eat much. Solid foods seem to make me sicker and I'm actually losing weight. I was 100 lbs which is normal for me, but now I'm 96. I'm worried that I'm not eating enough. I've heard that some women need to be hooked up to IVs for fluids. I called my doctor and she told me to force myself to eat. Forcing myself to eat seems to make me throw up even more. What should I do?

Re: How much m/s is too much?

• edited March 2016
    Sounds like a good question for a new OB

eta: clarity
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Have you tried all types of foods? For instance, for dinner I can only stomach plain pasta with some olive oil and cheese.  Breakfast is toast with butter.  Lunch is an egg salad sandwich (weird I know).  
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm with @nauticallife. With my first carbs were the only thing I felt like I could eat. Pizza especially. Maybe try that?
    Married 5/12/12
    BabyFruit Ticker
    69 Thoughts We've All Had While Drunk

• Call a new doctor. 
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Definitely call a new doctor, but in the meantime, have you tried meal replacement shakes like Ensure or Boost? They may settle in your stomach a bit better than solid food and they can deliver around 400 calories and quite a bit of protein each and protein may help with the nausea. 

Good luck. 

K.

Son, K, 9 | Daughter, C, 5 | Daughter, M, expected November 7, 2016
  • Chicken broth? And if that magically settles your stomach, find a carb to eat that you can tolerate 
  • Are you on any medication for morning sickness? If it's not working, perhaps there's another one you can try. With guidance from a new OB. Your current one kinda sounds less than helpful.
  • XmomXXmomX member
    I just eat what I can keep down which is bagels, mashed potatoes and toast at this point. My last pregnancy I lost 9 pounds in my first tri because I couldn't eat and I felt guilty eating the stuff that didn't make me puke (see above). This time I can't care, I would rather eat crap and not lose weight than eat nothing, feel worse and lose weight. 

Also my dr wasn't that concerned with my weight loss last time, she just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting dehydrated. Once I felt better I made up for all the lost weight :smile: 

BabyFruit Ticker

• You can try those preggie pops! I had super awful MS and those worked so I could get food down. However, because my nausea was 24/7 my doctor gave my an anti nausea medication and now life is way better! You need to call your Obgyn and tell them force feeding isn't working out!
  • You mainly need to worry about dehydration and eat anything you can keep down for now. Carbs are your friend...plain rice, plain pasta, mashed potatoes. A lot of women can tolerate Boston Market mashed potatoes for whatever reason.

If the M/S is debilitating and affecting your life (which it sounds like it is), you might consider taking an anti-nausea medicine. Some OBs recommend a combo of unisom (the sleeping pill) and B6 to combat nausea, but check with your OB since I'm not a doctor. There are also other things they can prescribe. If you do end up on anti-nausea medicine, check if it's constipating and consider pairing it with something to help with that.
  • Like PPs have said, eat anything you can keep down. I'm constantly nauseous too, but I find that it I let my stomach get too empty, it's way worse and I end up dry heaving. The only solids I'm able to keep down are crackers, toast with a little butter or cream cheese, or dry cheerios. I can stomach chicken or beef broth, but no soup with chunks of veggies/meat. Just looking at meat makes me sick. I also sip ginger ale or water with a slice of lemon. Sucking on hard candy, like Jolly Ranchers, helps me too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP 08/11/2012, DD#1 born 04/18/2013
    BFP 01/01/2015, EDD 09/07/2015, CP
    BFP 10/09/2015, EDD 06/01/2016, MC @ 7 weeks
    BFP 03/12/2016, DD#2 born 11/15/2016
    BFP 01/28/2019, EDD 09/29/2019
  • Thanks ladies. I went in to see my doctor this morning and they told me I was dehydrated so they told me to go to the ER. I was there for hours while they made sure I could keep down liquids. The doctor prescribed me zofran for my nausea and did an ultrasound just to make sure everything is going well. Baby looks great so far so I guess this one is just a bit stubborn.

Also, preggie pops sound awesome. Is that something I make or get in a store?
  • Preggie pops are hard candies to help combat morning sickness. You can buy them at target or on Amazon. I keep pedialite Popsicles in my freezer too to help with dehydration!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • That sounds like exactly what I need. And the pedialite thing is a great idea. Junk food seems oddly easier to keep down, but I'm really worried about gaining weight afterwards. Hopefully this zofran helps and I'm def going to invest in those preggie pops.
  • That sounds like exactly what I need. And the pedialite thing is a great idea. Junk food seems oddly easier to keep down, but I'm really worried about gaining weight afterwards. Hopefully this zofran helps and I'm def going to invest in those preggie pops.
    I wouldn't worry about it while you feel miserable. Eat and especially drink what you can. For me that's bland carbs and tea. I also suck on jolly ranchers in the late afternoon when I often find myself feeling the most sick. For most people, the nausea mostly subsides by 12-15 weeks. That leaves plenty of time to eat healthy foods.
  • There are a couple things I've tried this time around that work well for my nausea. One of them is Seabands. They are acupressure bracelets that help with nausea and I wear mine all day just so I can eat. Weird enough, one of my many aversions is water, so I wasn't drinking nearly enough until I got the seabands. Still can't get 80 oz down in a day, but I'm getting better.
    Another thing you could try is smoothies from home. Try mixing some fruit with almond milk or yogurt. That way you get some protein in you.
    And I also agree that you shouldn't let yourself get too hungry, it only makes it worse. Good luck!