New York Babies

NY Presbyterian Downtown vs. NYU

donutsfordaysdonutsfordays member
edited March 2016 in New York Babies
Hi all,

About to be a FTM in November and I'm wondering what your experiences have been at either of these locations. I just had my first prenatal at NY Presbyterian and loved my doc, but was less than impressed by the facilities. We're in Clinton Hill so I don't think we'd want to venture too far uptown, but I am considering NYU because I had a good experience with their Cancer Center.

Curious what you've experienced -- and whether you think I should just stick with a doc I like? 

Thanks so much! 

Re: NY Presbyterian Downtown vs. NYU

• I delivered my first two kids at NYU and loved it!!

• pat87pat87 member
    @donutsfordays just saw your comment! I am 18 weeks along and currently going to the Weill Cornell practice in Tribeca.  They deliver at NYP and I thought it was very convenient since I live in Fort Greene.  However, I am now considering switching because I want to use a doula and apparently my doctor is not doula-friendly.  If I switch, I will definitely go to someone that delivers at NYU Langone, since I've heard wonderful things about that hospital.  Anyway, just wanted to reach out since we are technically neighbors and would love to know what decision you finally made. 
    Me: 29   DH: 33
    TTC #1: Since Sept 2015
    MC: Oct 2015
    BFP: 03/05/16
    EDD: 11/16/16
    Baby Girl born on 11/04/16

Trying to Conceive Ticker
    Anniversary
    Visit The Nest

• Loading the player...
  • Hi @donutsfordays and @pat87,  may I ask which doctors you are seeing?  I am looking for an OB downtown,  and think I would like to stay with NYP,  but struggling with which groups.  Thank you!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • pat87pat87 member
    Hi @pepperpottsj , I am seeing Dr. Vanessa Pena, she's great.   I had to see Dr. Fridel at that same office the other day and I loved her as well.  And just in case, I was able to confirm that they are doula friendly.  :)
    Me: 29   DH: 33
    TTC #1: Since Sept 2015
    MC: Oct 2015
    BFP: 03/05/16
    EDD: 11/16/16
    Baby Girl born on 11/04/16

Trying to Conceive Ticker
    Anniversary
    Visit The Nest

• thanks so much!!  My RE is on the same floor,  so that office would be super convenient.  So happy they are doula friendly!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi! I just had my first babe At NYU and they were OUTSTANDING. The nurses in labor and delivery are beyond warm, nurturing and professional. I delivered naturally and the second my son came out I was rushed to the OR due too hemorrhaging and severe damage to my cervix. They were so comforting and took such good care of me and my baby. NYU ALL THE WAY! You won't regret it. 
  • My doctor is associated with Lenox Hill and that's where I delivered my first baby last year. But I live in Staten Island and also wondering if I should switch hospitals and doctors at this point, 27 weeks pregnant. Anybody have a doc/hospital they loved downtown?
  • Hi,

I created hospital groups for those who gave birth or want to at NY. Feel free to join or invite others. 
    NY Presbyterian Hospital
    Agi

• I've been wanting to switch from MFM with Mt Sinai to another doctor and no one else take me this far along (17 weeks), I hope you have better luck switching! 

• NYU was great.  They are baby friendly, and that made a big difference that I wasn't pressured to give formula even though my milk took super long to come in, and I ended up nursing 3 years.  They also have a much lower primary C-section rate than the other hospitals that I considered.  Check out the NY state hospital statistics database under maternal outcomes.