3rd Trimester
Options

Repost: Eating your placenta

Hi everyone, I really wanted to view the comments on the my original post about this topic, but I can't open it.  Only this discussion for some reason.  Slight recap- it is supposed to help with post partum depression and have some super-nutrients in it.  It gets crushed into a pill for you.  Does anyone know anything about this?

Re: Repost: Eating your placenta

• Options
    Ask your care team. A midwife would know all about the process.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just no
  • Options
    use the search function. there was a rather large discussion on exactly this topic not too long ago.
  • Options
  • Options
    No thank you. Eww.
  • Options
    No legitimate research supports this. 
    Use google. 
  • Options
    Pineapples and sex are supposed to send you into labor and here I am...still pregnant. The two have about the same amount of scientific backing, so if you want to eat your insidey parts after it gets dried and powdered with absolutely no regulation of cleanliness/sterility of the environment in which its done, that's on you. 
    I've been eating a lot of pineapple. But I just can't get it up for sex.
  • Options
    Gross!
  • Options
    My doula made placenta pills for me after my first pregnancy and I will be doing it again with this one. I can say that I had zero problems with my hair falling out, no post partum depression and I healed (from tearing) rather quickly. No proof that the pills directly caused this but I don't think it hurts either. I don't get what's so gross about it, people eat all kinds of meat and  parts of other animals from random disgusting farm and factory environments that you are completely unaware of. Also, it's very common in other cultures and I've heard humans are one of the only mammals to NOT eat their placenta. I say you have nothing to lose, it's like taking a daily vitamin supplement
  • Options
    Interesting how the mammals that are considered "intellectually advanced" don't eat their placenta.... I had a super great answer on the other thread about this but I am way too sleepy to attempt to type that out again. 
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    Pineapples and sex are supposed to send you into labor and here I am...still pregnant. The two have about the same amount of scientific backing, so if you want to eat your insidey parts after it gets dried and powdered with absolutely no regulation of cleanliness/sterility of the environment in which its done, that's on you. 
    I've been eating a lot of pineapple. But I just can't get it up for sex.
    My husband is having the same problem :cry: 
    #dead
  • Options
    But what if you had gestational diabetes or preeclampsia or something else wrong with your placenta?  Would that mess with the benefits if there were any?
  • Options
    wss^
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    I am doing this! Usually the person who would encapsulate your placenta is a doula. If you google doulas near you and call up a few, they can explain to you what kind of services they offer, how much it costs, and what they consider the benefits of eating your placenta. It's definitely a controversial practice, and it is true there is very little research on the subject so you will have to do some of your own searching and talk to your health care provider. Access to your placenta can also depend on where you are giving birth- some hospitals consider it medical waste and won't allow you to bring a cooler and take it home so definitely check on the policies of your specific birthing location. I know most women think this is an unusual, gross, or unnecessary practice, but at the birthing center I'm using it's common practice and they assumed I would want to take my placenta home to be encapsulated or otherwise eaten. This just to say that it's all perspective; some women think it's a strange thing to even consider, some women think it's strange that you wouldn't want to eat your placenta. Make sure you're exploring your options and deciding what you feel is right for you.
  • Options
    I had a lotus birth and cut bits and pieces of the placenta off a day and made different recipes until the cord fell off. Then I ate that too. Delicious. 
  • Options
    I like mine fried with bacon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    rebelone said:
    I like mine fried with bacon.
    Bacon wrapped sautéed placenta. Yum. 
  • Options
    Some interesting and some educational comments here.  Thank you for all the feedback, no matter the view.  I wish I could read some of the more detailed comments in the other discussion, but now I at least have more to base a decision off of.
  • Options
    My dog eats her own sick and I guess that's pretty natural?
  • Options
    My doula made placenta pills for me after my first pregnancy and I will be doing it again with this one. I can say that I had zero problems with my hair falling out, no post partum depression and I healed (from tearing) rather quickly. No proof that the pills directly caused this but I don't think it hurts either. I don't get what's so gross about it, people eat all kinds of meat and  parts of other animals from random disgusting farm and factory environments that you are completely unaware of. Also, it's very common in other cultures and I've heard humans are one of the only mammals to NOT eat their placenta. I say you have nothing to lose, it's like taking a daily vitamin supplement
    I haven't had PPD, my hair hasn't fallen out, and I healed rather quickly as well without eating my placenta.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I looked at is if I need iron/protein/whatever, I'll just eat a steak or something. I donated my placenta to science instead.