June 2016 Moms
Options

NYC with kids at 32 weeks

so SIL made a very nice offer today. She is working for a hotel, but trying to get a different job, so she offered to get us a room in Manhattan for a few nights at her discount price while she can (and pay for it) as a thank you for everything we've helped her with. 

So that means downtown NYC at 32 weeks pregnant with a 4 year old and 2 year old.  I'm ok with walking as long as my sciatica stays on check, but I'm wondering what good affordable things would be good to attempt with the family.

Good food and Central Park are on the list of course. I'll search for a kid friendly theatre show off Broadway somewhere too. Any other ideas? Favorite museums? My 4 year old loves science, dinosaurs and the outdoors. My daughter loves animals and climbing things. I would love any thoughts or opinions! 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: NYC with kids at 32 weeks

• Options
    HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited March 2016
    What dates are you here? Brooklyn Botanical Garden and the adjacent Brooklyn Museum hands down. Easy train ride from Manhattan. Inexpensive fun for everyone. Bring a blanket and pick up some picnic foods. The kids can run around while you lay down.
  • Options
    Thanks @HBamama2B !

ill check that out. We will either be there April 20-23 or 28-30

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you've got a car there, the bronx zoo can be great but it isn't really easily accessible by public transit from manhattan if I remember correctly.  The museum of natural history is also pretty good, they've got dinosaur stuff and I think some animal stuff too.  I'm trying to remember the stuff that we used to go into the city to do when I was a kid, if I think of anything else I'll be sure to come and add that too
  • Options
    I'm from nyc. There some great museums that are kid friendly. You shouldn't have to much to do with the heat at that point. Central Park is beautiful maybe take some maternity pics there while your babies play. Bronx zoo is awesome but if you can't go they have the Central Park zoo that you could try. It's small and quaint. Stay away from Times Square unless you want all those crowds it's awful all the time lol. 

Bryant park is really pretty too. It's right across from grand central where you could show them some things there or grab some food.  
  • Options
    Sounds like your son would really like the natural history museum. The Intrepid air and space museum could be good too. Glad your SIL is doing something nice for you guys after all you've done for her. Enjoy your weekend in the city!
  • Options
    I'm from nyc. There some great museums that are kid friendly. You shouldn't have to much to do with the heat at that point. Central Park is beautiful maybe take some maternity pics there while your babies play. Bronx zoo is awesome but if you can't go they have the Central Park zoo that you could try. It's small and quaint. Stay away from Times Square unless you want all those crowds it's awful all the time lol. 

Bryant park is really pretty too. It's right across from grand central where you could show them some things there or grab some food.  
    YES!  And times square has become super overcrowded with people in character costumes who will try to get kids to take pictures with them (or bank on the kids seeing their favorite character and begging their parents for a picture) and then not so subtle-y requesting a "tip".  H calls it the home of molest-me-elmo since the costumes tend to be quite grungy...
  • Options
    Ditto on avoiding Times Square, it's be miserable with the massive crowds even when you're not 8mths pregnant. 
  • Options
    Cwg22Cwg22 member
    Museum of natural history for sure! Bonus is its on the edge of Central Park so it sounds like you'd be exploring that area anyway. There is an affordable outdoor place to eat in Central Park near a man-made pond where kids can race little sailboats. If have to see a map to know what it's called, but towards the east side probably in the lower half of the park. There's also a zoo in the park but I haven't been so not sure how it is. Plenty of walking trails, open space, things to climb, etc. in the park. Can't go wrong. 
  • Options
    Seconding many of the above, and offering a few new ideas
    -Central Park & its zoo (Bronx Zoo is the best, and you can get there on the 2 train, but kind of a hike if you're only here for a few days)
    -Natural History museum - blue whale & dinosaurs!
    -Intrepid Museum
    -Shake Shack is kid friendly and a novelty if you don't have them where you're from 
    -Staten Island ferry is FREE and taking a round trip is a great way to see the Statue of Liberty & New York Harbor (just get right back on & come back to Manhattan)
    -If you're staying downtown, and want to go across the bridge (nice walk, beautiful view, depending on your kid/stroller situation), you can go to Brooklyn Bridge Park in DUMBO & go on Jane's Carousel 
    -Max Brenner's for chocoholics (I've never been, but my friends and their kids love it)
    -The High Line is a beautiful, rather unique park
    -AVOID TIMES SQUARE LIKE THE PLAGUE.  No good will come of it.
  • Options
    Oh yeah! DUMBO is super fun, I recommend Juliana's pizza. It's right by the water and is an institution (skip Grimaldi's next door, the actual Pat Grimaldi is at Juliana's which is named after his mom. ;) ) you can take the ferry up and down the east river, it's never crowded, always has seats, and the kids love standing on the railing and looking around. 
  • Options
    Yessssss to avoiding Times Square. And ditto to the High Linne suggestion. It's free, and a beautiful way to see the area. I advise getting on it at the Chelsea market since hey, many delicious foods=happy pregnant lady, happy husband and happy kids for not a crazy amount of dollars if you get small treats. The Intrepid is very cool,  but remember it being costy.
  • Options
    Central park is great and they have a free app with a map to tell you where things are and where you are now, it's huge. You can definitely spend the day there. Museum of Natural history is right across the street. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited March 2016
    If you go to Chelsea Market, get the fresh doughnuts. Soooo good and they're small and dipped in flavored sugars. Nomnomnom
  • Options
    Now I'm really wanting to go to the city! Haha. 

Unfortunately SIL said she found out she doesn't qualify for the discount afterall, so we probably will do something else closer to home before baby comes since the non-discount rate it a little too much for us right now with a baby and my son's school tuition coming up. 

Im going to save some of these ideas though! I haven't been to some of the places you guys recommended

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Man, now I want to go to NYC!!! Too bad our stupid dollar sucks so bad. But thanks for all the ideas ladies, I'm saving them all because I find NYC so intimidating without an 'insider' perspective. I had no idea it could be so fun for kids!
  • Options
    Oh, and to all coming to NYC - do NOT plan to drive in the city.  If you are driving to NY, I think there are long term parking places in Jersey City, or somewhere near there, you can park, then take public transport into the city (or stay in Jersey City for cheaper, but still convenient digs).

For getting around -

-Subway is by far the fastest and most economical (the metrocard works for both subways & buses).  It's very safe (I think they can be intimidating for newbies), and if you use google maps on your phone you can get good public transportation directions
    -Walking: my favorite way to see the city & people watch.  Of course, there are limits to how far you can walk, but it's definitely a walking city
    -Buses: economical, and tons of routes, but they can get stuck in traffic
    -Yellow taxis: Pricier, and can get stuck in traffic, but sometimes worth the splurge to be able to just crash in the back seat
    -Green taxis: Same price as yellow cabs, they service the boros & northern Manhattan where you won't find a lot of yellow cabs
    -"Gypsy" cabs: independent livery cab drivers who are not actually authorized to pick up street fares.  They will also approach you at the airport.  Not for the uninitiated. 

• Options
    @Rosehip15 I agree! We never drive in the city unless we are visiting my husband's mom who lives in the Bronx (not great transportation near them)

there is is an was one hotel in Sacaucus NJ that we stay at sometimes that has free parking and a bus straight into downtown. So nice 

BabyFruit Ticker