September 2015 Moms
Options

Baby led weaning questions

Help! I'm so confused. I thought I understood baby led weaning but now I'm realizing there are a ton of little details I'm completely unsure of. I gave LO avocado which went well since it was so soft. But last night I decided to do carrots and I wasn't sure how soft to make them. I wanted them to stay whole and not squish into mush when she squeezed them so she could actually get some to her mouth. All I had was baby carrots so that's what I used. Well she was taking them straight to her mouth and I was absolutely panicking that she would choke because they could fit in her mouth and they were staying intact so I took them away from her and just slopped some mashed potatoes in front of her. How soft are her foods supposed to be? How big are they supposed to be? I know the point of baby led weaning is to learn chewing and manipulating food in the mouth but for just starting out what is ok? I could use some specific examples lol. Now that I'm actually starting to do it I feel so confused

Re: Baby led weaning questions

• Options
    I've started with mostly handle shaped veggies. We've done broccoli, green beans and strips of zucchini and red and green bell pepper. I cook them until they're moderately soft but not really mushy. He mostly sucks the juices off and has gotten a few chunks that made it to his poop. Really the point is to give them what you're eating, with no salt or added sugar. There's a baby led weaning Facebook group that has good info too. Just trust that your baby knows what to do! If a piece is too large to swallow, the gag reflex will send it back out. If it's past the gag reflex, they'll vomit to get it out. It's scary for us but they're perfectly safe. Just make sure there aren't any super hard chunks (like raw apples or carrots) and you guys will be great! It's a lot of fun seeing what foods they prefer :) oh and don't go fishing for pieces in their mouth because you may accidentally force it down their throat. 
  • Options
    There are some good videos on YouTube about food prep for blw, I'm planning on starting soon and have been binging! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I understand your concern! 

Here's what we've learned:

cut ute everything long enough to be comfortably held in hand and have enough sticking out to suck/gum/bite (but not so long where it sticks straight to the back of her throat) 

AND keep the object narrow. So, cut carrots, er a into thin, long spears. If she bites off it should be small enough to not choke. 

And Ive read apples are tricky and high choke hazards so we're avoiding altogether bc I just get too nervous. 

Its funny. I'm on board with BLW but do get nervous. My husband and I have a (joking) saying about BLW for ourselves (two nervous parents)..."BLW...it's all fun and games until someone takes a bite!" :)
  • Options
    Use the finger pinch test! If you can squish it with your finger, baby can bite it with gums. 

We do BLW (and did it with DD1 too), and I love it. I do pieces about my finger size, or foods with a handle, like broccoli. We give her something off the table every meal-there's always something she can eat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    For a specific example-cut broccoli off stalk leaving a very long stem, steam for 8 minutes. Bake a potato normally, then cut finger width prisms from the middle. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I recommend the Baby Led Weaning for Beginners Facebook group. It's been very helpful for me so far. 
    Early foods should be long because they can't pick up with pincer grasp. 
    Today I did mashed banana on toast cut into strips. The length should be twice the length of the baby's fist (as in when held in the fist another fist-length should stick out). 
    My problem is it is supposed to be very "baby eats what you eat" but I don't eat well for breakfast and lunch (hurry hurry hurry) so I'm kind of stuck there. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips! I don't know why it's so scary for me. Hopefully I can relax over time. I keep seeing "if you can squish between your fingers it's good" but what does that mean? Should it turn to mush when you pinch it? Or just be really soft but still hold its form?
  • Options
    I steamed carrot sticks. I didn't test them and just took them out. If I put it on the counter and push it with my finger it didn't break. So a little longer and it would "squish". Not mushy, but break with a push.