October 2015 Moms

5 month old in his own room ...??

Soooo my baby boy is 5 months old , he sleeps through the night most of the time , but I am such a sucker the nights that he does wake up I rock him to sleep or sometimes get sucked into actually playing with him ... It's rare ... But still ... Lol 

Anyways , he was sleeping in his pack n play but in me and my boyfriends bedroom. My boyfriend has a theory that We will both get better sleep if baby sleeps in his own room while we have the baby monitor on. 

So ... This is the first night. He's been sleeping since 8pm , it's now 12 ...and I cannot sleep !!! I keep getting up to check on him!!!

I keep reading conflicting articles , Is it too soon to let baby sleep in his own room ? Haaaaaalp!!!

xo Sleepy Mommy 

Re: 5 month old in his own room ...??

• How did the rest of your night go?  I personally don't believe 5 months old is too young to be sleeping in his own room, but for you the test might be if you're comfortable with it.  And did you all actually get better sleep (including LO)?  
  • My DS has been sleeping in his own room since about 11 weeks. The first few nights I just laid there looking at the monitor, but now we're all sleeping well. Our rooms share a wall and we sleep with the doors open, so I'm not worried about hearing him.
  • Loading the player...
  • I did the same thing the first night my LO slept alone.  I actually was sleeping in her room on a futon but moved back to my room with my husband.  I kept checking on her and worrying.  It has been a few weeks now and I worry less.  I think it honestly wouldn't matter when I did it, I was going to need to adjust to the change more than she did.  We are all doing great now.  

Just do whatever makes YOU feel comfortable.  A lot of people told me to move out of her room earlier but I just couldn't do it any sooner than I did.  
  • This is my first baby and after the cluster feeding stopped (not until around 8 weeks.. UGH!!!), we started putting in her crib for naps and by week 10 she was sleeping in her crib through the night!  We couldn't believe it, but she just always slept better with her little white noise machine and in her own little space.  She still loves it in there and sleeps through the night.  If she wakes up, then I either comfort her in the rocker for a bit or just give her the nuk back.  She is always smiling when I go in there when she sees me, regardless of how tired she is.  Cutest thing in the world.  Everyone says we have been blessed with a great sleeper, but I also think we worked really hard to keep things calm, peaceful and comforting around her and in our house from day 1.  We also though, never let her fall asleep to the sound of nothing, which really helps out when we are out and around other people.  That girl can nap through a stampede if she wanted to.  :)  But every baby and every parent is different.  I agree that it is important to do what makes you comfortable, but when you have them sleep in their room for the first week or so its going to be uncomfortable because its a big step.  It will become the norm though and you will feel comfortable again.  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • vamomtobe said:
    How did the rest of your night go?  I personally don't believe 5 months old is too young to be sleeping in his own room, but for you the test might be if you're comfortable with it.  And did you all actually get better sleep (including LO)?  
    My boyfriend slept all night !!!

I didn't fall asleep until about 2 and I kept waking up to go check on him. I am so tiered today. LO slept all night , without disturbance. 

I guess its its just me who has to get used to it.  :(
  • I think you should do what you're comfortable with. Our LO was on his own, in his crib at 3 months. He's a good sleeper though, and I somehow trained myself to hear him without the baby moniyor
  • Update , I am now more at ease with LO sleeping in his own room. Still stare at him via baby monitor until I fall asleep though. 
  • I had my baby in his own room and cot by the end of week 1. He's been perfectly fine! !!
  • @onlyonealejandra ,once LO is out, she is out cold, so I actually like to sneak quietly into her room and stare at her adorable sleeping self an hour or so after I've put her down for the night.  Glad it's working out for you!!
  • We moved our LO into her own room when she was about 3 weeks old, and we all slept much better! As long as you are comfortable I think it is perfectly fine to have your 5 month old in his own room!
  • Mine was in her own bedroom since the beginning it seemed so much easier to wake up diring the night without waking up my SO. Allows me to turn on the light change her, rock her, sing or talk to her. And my husband can sleep. It is never too early.