May 2016 Moms

Bells palsy any one?

jsharanarthyjsharanarthy member
edited March 2016 in May 2016 Moms
Was affected with slight Bells palsy in my 32nd week, luckily got to know the 1st day of infection. Doctor had advised course of steroids Wysolone for 8 days. Now much better after the course though lil still visible on face. Heard such viral infections r prone in 3rd term, so be really careful. Stay protected. 

Re: Bells palsy any one?

• Did your doctor say how do you stay protected?  I thought it was a body's reaction to stress and/or a virus.  I know this is not uncommon during pregnancy.  I hope you feel better soon, and that your symptoms subside completely as well. Take care!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• I just got it! Currently 38 weeks and felt something strange happening with my eye on Friday night. Saturday AM I went to the ER b/c my mouth wasn't right. They said I had Bells Palsy, gave me steroids and said it would clear up on it's own. 

3 days later it's gotten worse. My left side is completely paralyzed. I can't close my eye, can't move my mouth at all on the left side which makes for some interesting eating and drinking. 

It's annoying more than anything and I just want it to go away. I am trying massage and acupuncture along with the predisone to hopefully move recovery along. 

• Loading the player...
  • you're lucky yours went away so quickly. I got it with my last pregnancy at about 32 weeks. I did the full round of prednisone which really did nothing IMO. I had severe pain from below my ear thru my jawline. I couldn't feel my tongue or taste on the right side of my mouth, nor could I shut my eye. It was not fun, and it lasted for 6 months.

there is nothing you can do to protect yourself unfortunately, it's the same virus as the chicken pox that once you have it, it's dormant in your system but can flare up due to stress, pregnancy etc. there is no shot for it like there is for preventing/lessening shingles (which also comes from the chicken pox virus). 
  • It took 6 months to clear up? I've been googling like mad to find out how long recovery normally takes and it sounds like it's anywhere from 3 weeks to a year. I don't think I can manage a year of my face like this. 

During the 6 months it took to recover, did you notice changes at all in the first few weeks? I just really want to be able to close my eye! I am getting twitches in my chin, around my eye and nose on the affected side but I don't know if those twitches mean that they are getting better or worse! 

I am a week into this thing and I'm 100% paralyzed on the left side of my face.