January 2016 Moms

Runners??

hey ladies - I'm hoping some of the avid runners have stuck around. I am seriously contemplating signing up for a marathon on June 28. It's 14 weeks from now. I'm 11 weeks post c-section. Am I crazy and just asking for injury, or is this a reasonable goal? 

Re: Runners??

• karynste19karynste19 member
    edited March 2016
    I'm a half marathon person and signed up for one around that timeframe. Obviously the difference is significant. I wouldn't be able to do a full in 14 weeks. That said, if your expectations are realistic and you aren't going for a PR you can do it. Go for it :)
  • Well it sounds a tad bit crazy but I've never ran more than a half marathon (and I'm assuming you have). Realistically, I think it depends on where your mileage base is at right now and your support system. Have you been running consistently since 6 wk postpartum visit? Is your mileage currently at a place where it won't be pushing too hard too fast to build up to the marathon? I ran up until delivery and got back at it 2 weeks postpartum but I had a vaginal delivery. I definitely took it slow getting back in to it & still haven't built my speed and mileage back up at 8 weeks PP. Considering the C section, maybe just be sure to throw in some extra core strengthening workouts?

And support wise, I know marathon training is time intensive. Do you have someone who will happily watch the baby while you train? Is that time with baby something you're willing to give up? When I went back to work full time after DS1, I was working 8-5 with an hour commute both ways so I was barely getting an hour of waking time with him daily during the week. I just wasn't willing to give up any additional time with him so my workouts had to fit into my lunch hour and his nap times on the weekends. Luckily with DS2, I have a better work schedule so that's a non-issue. Also something to consider, are you bf'ing? That kind of training can kill your milk supply if you're not careful. Just throwing out thoughts, hope it's helpful! If you're feeling physically and mentally ready to tackle it, go for it!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much for the insight! This is my first baby, I never even considered the impact training would have on my milk supply! I decided to do the half marathon instead of the full for this event (Bay of Fundy International marathon). It will still be motivation to get out and train and stay fit, but with less of an impact on the baby. You ladies are fantastic, thanks so much for helping me decide!
  • Enjoy the training!  Doesn't it feel awesome to get back in the groove?  :)
  • Ju111310 said:
    Well it sounds a tad bit crazy but I've never ran more than a half marathon (and I'm assuming you have). Realistically, I think it depends on where your mileage base is at right now and your support system. Have you been running consistently since 6 wk postpartum visit? Is your mileage currently at a place where it won't be pushing too hard too fast to build up to the marathon? I ran up until delivery and got back at it 2 weeks postpartum but I had a vaginal delivery. I definitely took it slow getting back in to it & still haven't built my speed and mileage back up at 8 weeks PP. Considering the C section, maybe just be sure to throw in some extra core strengthening workouts?

And support wise, I know marathon training is time intensive. Do you have someone who will happily watch the baby while you train? Is that time with baby something you're willing to give up? When I went back to work full time after DS1, I was working 8-5 with an hour commute both ways so I was barely getting an hour of waking time with him daily during the week. I just wasn't willing to give up any additional time with him so my workouts had to fit into my lunch hour and his nap times on the weekends. Luckily with DS2, I have a better work schedule so that's a non-issue. Also something to consider, are you bf'ing? That kind of training can kill your milk supply if you're not careful. Just throwing out thoughts, hope it's helpful! If you're feeling physically and mentally ready to tackle it, go for it!! 
    This may be a silly question but can I ask how/what you did to fit in lunch hour runs? I have always wanted to do this but questioned whether it would be worth it in terms of how much running I could actually do and how to make myself at least passable in terms of cleanliness and appearance the rest of the day.
  • I speed change, and take off like a shot out the back door of my office. I don't wear makeup, and my hair is usually in a low pony anyway, so a little dry shampoo and wash my face and good as new to get through the last couple hours at work. I'm fortunate that I can dress fairly casual at work (usually maxi dresses/skirts & cardigans) if I had to put back on a suit or something it may be a different story. 
  • ^ pretty much what she said! I'm a nurse practitioner and at that time I was working in an office that had a gym within 1/4 mile. It was madness really, probably comical to watch. I would shoot out of the door the minute my lunch break started, dart into the gym and change & be on the treadmill in 5 mins. I was able to get in 3-5 miles depending on my pace. Dry shampoo is a life saver, cool shot from a hair dryer if I was wearing my hair down, & I used these body wipes similar to baby wipes to clean up some sweat before I put my work clothes back on. My first patients of the afternoon probably thought I looked a little crazy with my flushed face but oh well!