June 2016 Moms

Glider redo question

We were given an old glider from a family member. It's solid oak with blue cushions. I've recovered the cushions and made a pillow, but I'm not sure the best paint to use. I want either white or cream. So chalk paint? spray paint? sand first? What would you recommend? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Glider redo question

• I would do chalk paint. You don't have to sand it first and I love the way it looks! I usually sand my after to make it look a little distressed
  • DeePaddy24DeePaddy24 member
    edited March 2016
    A lot of my friends have been redoing furniture & are big fans of chalk paint for it! I've used it on a few smaller projects & also really like it. So, chalk paint gets my vote! 
    Bonus: I don't believe you have to sand first when working with it. 
    Me: 30 || DH: 32
    Married: May 3, 2014 

SaveSave
  • Loading the player...
  • Is the chalk paint hard to paint on? I feel like painting all the spindles and things would be difficult and take a long time. 

• Chalk paint is super forgiving and easy to work with. Should make it an easy project for you.
  • Annie Sloan chalk paint . It's more expensive but 100% worth it ! Then put clear wax over and it will last forever 
  • Chalk paint is probably your best bet for a quick project. I agree, definitely put a clear coat over it after it is dry 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I personally love using fairy chalk mothers Chalk paint. So easy to work with! Just remember to give it two good coats of clear wax afterwards and a poly spray on finish since it's going to get a lot of use!
    Mrs. H
    Crohn's Dx: August 2008
    Endometriosis Dx: May 2010
    Married: 05/19/2012
    TTC #1: June 2013
    BFP: December 2013
    DS: Born 08/29/2014
    TTC #2: July 2015

BFP #2: September 25, 2015

• A few years ago I used spray pain to transform this dresser, which is now part of the nursery. I did have to sand, but I was happy with the results. I have never used chalk paint, but I worried about drips (I am far from a painting expert). The spray paint worked flawlessly, but I did do it outside with PLENTY of ventilation.
  • I would do a light sanding to get the finish off first.  I got a hand me down glider and called a restoration place and they said if I don't sand first that the new paint will start to chip off the old finish.
  • I would do a light sanding to get the finish off first.  I got a hand me down glider and called a restoration place and they said if I don't sand first that the new paint will start to chip off the old finish.
    That's what I'm afraid of! The paint chipping after all the work. I think ill try spraying it first. There's a lot of details that I just can't see turning out well with a paint brush. 

• Hello! I I would suggest you to use chalk spray paint of rustoleum because I've used them in past. These are also available in several colors such as charcoal, white, aged gray, blush pink and more.

You may visit at https://www.wikihow.com/Spray-Paint-Furniture to know how to spray paint furniture!

Kindly share the images once you have done!

Best of luck!