June 2016 Moms
Options

How do you get your baby to kick?

I'm 27 weeks and the last 2 days I feel like the movement has been less intense. Anyone else experience this? I want her to punch me. Any tips on how to provoke movement?

Re: How do you get your baby to kick?

• Options
    Haha really? Well okay then!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    goldie987goldie987 member
    edited March 2016
    @WinniethePoohsPants  for the win

In all seriousness though, your baby is running out of space so their movements will be less intense since they don't have as much space to get speed up to kick you.  Sugar (usually orange juice is the recommendation but I've been a big fan of using chocolate because why not) and laying down quietly will get my little one moving around.  Either that or pissing her off by having my dog or computer on my belly, or laying down weird and kinda squishing my belly.
  • Options
    Flash light on your belly. They'll punch/kick at the light
  • Options
    Omg need to try all of these tricks! Thanks ladies
  • Options
    Diet Mt dew. Every time. And remember that baby can have quieter days. Just let baby sleep. They are growing like crazy in there, they need sleep. Don't poke a sleeping bear (or baby) or you will be back on here asking how you can get baby to settle down so you can sleep.
  • Options
    Cold water and laying on my side. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had spotting and no movement today. Went to hospital and got
    hooked up to the monitor to make sure everything was okay which it was. The nurse suggested sugary drinks and laying on my left side to try and trigger movement
    ~* Met Husband: July 26, 2009 <3Said Yes: July 26, 2010 <3Married:  September 10, 2011 <3Baby Due: June 17, 2016 *~

• Options
    Sugar. Food. Caffeine. The same stuff that'll get YOU moving. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    My LO actually moves the most when I am sitting on my ass doing nothing. If that doesn't work?

-Music
    -Cold Drink
    -Food
    -Poking/touching my belly
    -Changing positions

Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Leaning against my stomach or sitting/laying down after walking around for about 15 minutes. Also I lay a water bottle full of ice on my stomach sometimes and he hates that! Kicks like crazy every time
  • Options
    For me it's laying down and staying still or eating, but my friend suggested drinking a glass of orange juice. The sugar should get them bouncing off the walls.
  • Options
    Eat something sweet and then lay on your left side. 
  • Options
    sdnybrk1 said:
    for real?
  • Options
    Sugar. 

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Diet Mt dew. Every time. And remember that baby can have quieter days. Just let baby sleep. They are growing like crazy in there, they need sleep. Don't poke a sleeping bear (or baby) or you will be back on here asking how you can get baby to settle down so you can sleep.

haha!!! 

I usually get her to move around after a nice shower or bath. Or if I bend over and squish her in there, she gets pissed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Prune juice. Good for other issues as well. ;)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited March 2016
    Or option B- you could let the baby sleep and wait patiently for it to move when it's awake and just treasure those moments. Just 'cause you know- the kid getting sleep is kind of important....
  • Options
    sdnybrk1 said:
    for real?
    Lol yes. Just make sure it's after whatever week the eyes open :smile: 
  • Options
    HBamama2B said:
    Or option B- you could let the baby sleep and wait patiently for it to move when it's awake and just treasure those moments. Just 'cause you know- the kid getting sleep is kind of important....
    This is true at 27 weeks, I think. But I will say that my doctor specifically has me doing "kick counts" (for me, she told me this at 30 weeks) with instructions to call if I notice a decrease in movement. I'm supposed to see how long it takes to get to 10 kicks, and they start to get concerned if it takes longer than 2 hours. I pick a time when she's usually on the more active side, and it generally takes me anywhere from 10-30 minutes to get there.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    None of the 'usual' tricks I have tried get baby to move. I haven't tried all of them though. I'm 30 weeks and have noticed she has days where she is (almost) always active and other days where she has more periods of quiet time. I talked to my ob yesterday and he didn't day anything about counting movements. He said to call if it seems like something has changed, but he also said there will be times of little or no movement when baby is sleeping.
  • Options
    We play music & he punches / kicks I can't really tell what it is haha. But he moves!
  • Options
    I eat a snack and a glass of ice water then lay down.  I have an app to count kicks but I normally don't need it cause as PPs have said if you're getting 10 movements in less than 2 hours you're good.  Also remember "movements" are not just kicks but also turns and stretches too.
  • Options
    Cold water, yogurt, ice cream, coffee.  Or, as pp have said, laying down to sleep.  That's when the nightly dance party really begins.
  • Options

Putting your socks on.

• Options
    The glucose drink really got him to spin around.
  • Options
    HBamama2B said:
    I wait until the baby moves a couple of times and then "play" by gently poking my belly and watching them poke me back in the same place. DH thinks I'm nuts!

I agree with @hbamama2B though that unless you're really worried about lack of movement I wouldn't go trying to wake baby up all day long! :)

Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Orange juice works every time for me. Hydration that isn't plain water and I get to feel the baby. It's a win-win.
    IVF Baby #1 Due Mid June 2016
    www.bottlesandbanter.com
  • Options
    HBamama2B said:
    I wait until the baby moves a couple of times and then "play" by gently poking my belly and watching them poke me back in the same place. DH thinks I'm nuts!

I agree with @hbamama2B though that unless you're really worried about lack of movement I wouldn't go trying to wake baby up all day long! :)

Lol, that's exactly what I do. I told DH when lo's up and active, he's fair game. I love poking and interacting with him when he's rolling around and exploring. DH is always like don't 'poke' or don't 'push'. It's very funny! 
  • Options
    HBamama2B said:
    HBamama2B said:

Lol, that's exactly what I do. I told DH when lo's up and active, he's fair game. I love poking and interacting with him when he's rolling around and exploring. DH is always like don't 'poke' or don't 'push'. It's very funny! 
    H keeps telling me that I'm going to dent her head if I keep poking/pushing my belly.  I can't even figure out where her damn head is, plus I'm pretty sure the amniotic fluid cushions her decently well against my gentle pushing and poking.  
  • Options
    I have no found any reactions to much of anything, but she does move quite a lot. However if i lay either very very flat on my back, or if im completely on my side usually i feel her almost 100% of the time. 
  • Options
    HBamama2B said:
    HBamama2B said:

H keeps telling me that I'm going to dent her head if I keep poking/pushing my belly.  I can't even figure out where her damn head is, plus I'm pretty sure the amniotic fluid cushions her decently well against my gentle pushing and poking.  
    Dh loves poking the baby back. Once in our hypnobirthing class, while discussing a very serious topic BTW, he was having a giggle fit cause they were poking back and forth!  
  • Options
    adiaz132003 said:

Dh loves poking the baby back. Once in our hypnobirthing class, while discussing a very serious topic BTW, he was having a giggle fit cause they were poking back and forth!  
    My H loves to poke it too.  He likes to wait until we're in bed and if he can feel any movement he starts to poke and push to see if he can get a reaction, then he giggles like a little kid... and then he rolls over and falls asleep while the LO does the dance of it's people and keeps me awake.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    She seems to move after I am active. I cleaned the garage then laid down to relax and she went nuts. She is usually active after my walks too. 
  • Options
    Kballew10 said:
    adiaz132003 said:

My H loves to poke it too.  He likes to wait until we're in bed and if he can feel any movement he starts to poke and push to see if he can get a reaction, then he giggles like a little kid... and then he rolls over and falls asleep while the LO does the dance of it's people and keeps me awake.
    Oh man, H did that to me the other night and I wanted to slap him. She's usually very active when I'm trying to go to sleep anyway but the two of them were having a great time poking/kicking/punching me. 
    My kids have all been karate kids lol so much movement all the time. I'm looking forward to her running out of room!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    HBamama2B said:
    HBamama2B said:

DH is convinced I'm bruising baby when I poke and push. I can't interact with the baby bump at all when he's around because he lets his irrational ideas of how the womb works freak him out. At least they are concerned for the well being of our little ones :)