May 2016 Moms
Options

Help I am freaking out about baby clothes

2»

Re: Help I am freaking out about baby clothes

• Options
    jagellerjageller member
    edited April 2016
    Ok, this is sort of a thread hijack, so apologies. But while we're freaking out about clothes- I have a weird problem that I also had with my first baby. I know everybody tends to wash and prep all their clothing in advance so it's all ready to go. I have this strange paranoia about doing that- every time I think I should do it I think, what if they got her sex wrong? Or what if she's huge and doesn't fit a bunch of this stuff? Or what if she dies and I can't face having to deal with all this baby clothing neatly folded in drawers, like somehow it would be better in its current state of being strewn in gift bags all over our guest room. Does anyone else have this issue? I had a very rough time with postpartum anxiety/ OCD with my son, and my thinking about the clothes issue isn't quite to the level of intrusive thoughts, but it definitely is a hang up for me. 
    This is me! I suffer from anxiety anyway, and had a long haul of it getting here (infertility), so am extremely nervous about washing the clothes, or even taking them out the of the boxes and bags that are currently stacked in and around the crib (the only assembled thing in the apartment) for fear that something will happen. I was going to wash the stuff for my and the baby's hospital bags last weekend and I couldn't get myself to do it. I'm counting on the idea that the anxiety of not being prepared will overshadow the anxiety about being prepared soon. I hope it sorts itself out for you! 
  • Options
    jageller said:
    Ok, this is sort of a thread hijack, so apologies. But while we're freaking out about clothes- I have a weird problem that I also had with my first baby. I know everybody tends to wash and prep all their clothing in advance so it's all ready to go. I have this strange paranoia about doing that- every time I think I should do it I think, what if they got her sex wrong? Or what if she's huge and doesn't fit a bunch of this stuff? Or what if she dies and I can't face having to deal with all this baby clothing neatly folded in drawers, like somehow it would be better in its current state of being strewn in gift bags all over our guest room. Does anyone else have this issue? I had a very rough time with postpartum anxiety/ OCD with my son, and my thinking about the clothes issue isn't quite to the level of intrusive thoughts, but it definitely is a hang up for me. 
    This is me! I suffer from anxiety anyway, and had a long haul of it getting here (infertility), so am extremely nervous about washing the clothes, or even taking them out the of the boxes and bags that are currently stacked in and around the crib (the only assembled thing in the apartment) for fear that something will happen. I was going to wash the stuff for my and the baby's hospital bags last weekend and I couldn't get myself to do it. I'm counting on the idea that the anxiety of not being prepared will overshadow the anxiety about being prepared soon. I hope it sorts itself out for you! 

I don't know the sex of mine and someone gave me a bunch of girl hand-me-downs. So I just washed a few of them (as well as a few things I got at my shower that are unisex). I have enough clothes for the first few days and if it's a boy, we'll just have to go shopping. If it's a girl, i'll wash the rest. Not a big deal.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jageller said:

I don't know the sex of mine and someone gave me a bunch of girl hand-me-downs. So I just washed a few of them (as well as a few things I got at my shower that are unisex). I have enough clothes for the first few days and if it's a boy, we'll just have to go shopping. If it's a girl, i'll wash the rest. Not a big deal.
    You can always donate what you don't end up using because it's "too girly". Goodwill will give you at 20% off coupon if you donate and especially this time of year organizations that help teen parents are really looking for donations (since the school year is winding down).