June 2016 Moms
Options

extremely sore joints and charlie horses

This has been going on about a month now and just seems to be getting worse.  My hands are so sore it hurts to grip things and I'm losing flexibility (which is impressive because my hands are so double jointed it's gross).  I'm also waking up at night with charlie horse cramps in my calves and when I tried doing a hip flexor two days ago I got one in my left hip and ass muscle.  NOT COOL.
Have any of you experienced this?  Since I'm now high-risk I'll see my doctor in a week and will of course ask her about it but I'm wondering if this is normal.  I've always had tight banding around my hips (bag of dicks) but it's getting a lot worse and since we're closing in on The Day, I'm concerned.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: extremely sore joints and charlie horses

• Options
    I can't speak to it being normal or not but I have had about 7 excruciating calf pains over the last few weeks if I extend the muscle too quickly while sleeping. They only happen at night but they've gotten to the point where the muscle felt completely immobile and I literally screamed in pain a few times. 

I have a preexisting knee injury that is starting to bother me again but I've attributed that to my weight gain. 

I didn't mention either to my OB and I probably should have but if yours gives you any remedies for the calf cramps let me know. Nothing seems to be working for me. 
  • Options
    My joints are very sore when sleeping and I find myself rotating a lot to try to distribute weight and pressure I also get Charlie horses which are extremely painful. I've increased my water intake and began adding more potassium (bananas) to help with leg cramps. Let us know what your dr says hope it helps. :( 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    fishwife799fishwife799 member
    edited March 2016
    I'm pretty sure the joint pain is fairly common during pregnancy. As for the Charlie horses the only thing I would recommend until you see your doctor is more fluids and foods that are high in potassium. I hope you can find some relief. 

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Options
    Make sure you are getting plenty of electrolytes too. Some people suggest Gatorade before bed. Yoga has some good stretches for hips and Charlie horses and they seem to help when cramps hit. What works for me is to breathe through them when everything else fails. The pain is bad but at some point doesn't get worse and eventually goes away. 
  • Options
    From what I've heard joint pain and especially carpal tunnel are very common. :( I hope your doctor can provide relief!
  • Options
    Oh the Charlie horses!!! Happened with my first, happening again now. Normal side effect of pregnancy. Mine happen any time I stretch/point my toes while I'm sleeping. They cause me to jump out of bed screaming until I can get it to stop. My husband used to freak out and now he doesn't even wake up. They cause an echo pain that lasts the next day. Last time I was told that drinking lots of water could help. But basically I just trained myself not to stretch until after DD was born. 
  • Options
    Gosh, I've had Charlie horses with every pregnancy. My H is so used to them, I just swat him in the middle of the night and he starts to rub my calves lol, but I have also quit pointing my toes when I stretch. Potassium and lots of water. I hate bananas, so I eat almonds to increase my potassium, plus it's a good snack.
  • Options
    I've also gotten Charley horses, mostly at night, and the occasional carpal tunnel like feeling in my hands. When you start to feel a charley horse coming on, pull your toes toward your shins. This will force the muscle to lengthen out and when you catch it quick enough, it can prevent the cramp.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    My midwife said that calcium also helps. She listed off all sorts of foods that help prevent the Charlie horses and they are things I consume daily and I haven't had any this pregnancy. I make sure to get my daily intake of dairy and almonds are one of my cravings so I eat them every day. 

Carpal tunnel is a normal pregnancy symptom, your doctor should be able to help you find a way to minimize the discomfort. Find some stretches to do online. My hubby taught me his drum stretches since I work a desk job and they help in my normal day to day life. 
  • Options
    Yes, I've been getting them too. Check your magnesium intake. My chiro suggested that and low and behold,  it was low so I started a magnesium supplement before bed and it's helped tremendously. Make sure your are getting enough water as well.  Of course, check with your ob first of you want to try the magnesium. 
  • Options
    I've gotten several Charlie horses thus far.  And my calf muscle is always sore a few days pre and post of the middle of the night terror. 

Gosh, I'm going to suck at this whole labor thing if Charlie horses make me cry.  :) 

I've upped my calcium and potassium.  Working on the water.  
  • Options
    Yes and yes. Calf cramps like no one's business nightly, usually in the middle of the night or just before it is time to wake up. I was actually having a dream on Saturday night and it went something like "you know the best part of pregnancy?" And I woke up thinking my calf muscle was going to rip off my leg. I've been having tons of sciatic pain as well that I can't kick no matter how much stretching or movement I do. And my hands feel like they just don't won't to work right, especially when typing on my phone or my keyboard at work. They just feel stiff. I imagine that is carpal tunnel and just shrug it off as something that will hopefully improve in 12 weeks or so.
  • Options
    Ugh charlie horses are horrible! I've had a few, only happening at night when I stretch my legs in bed. I've upped my water and potassium intake... but I just think they are just par for the course at this point. DH will help rub my calf and standing on a cold floor will help. 

My hips are super sore, and I think general joint soreness is common. I have not experienced any hand cramps or loss of flexibility though, so def talk to your OB about it. Best to be safe and ask your doctor a million questions (lol i know i do). 

Sorry your so uncomfortable, hang in there! 
  • Options
    I take a hot bath or shower before bed and it helps a lot. I heard sleeping in leg warmers can help. Bananas help for Charlie horses too.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Are your hands swollen?  The tightness sounds like there could be an element of edema to me.  
  • Options
    I've gotten a lot of charlie horses too. I drink a good amount of water and eat bananas so I think they are just another symptom. I suppose I could drink more milk. I find getting up and walking off the cramp helps.

• Options
    Magnesium oil! You can get it on amazon. I rub it on my legs and feet before I go to sleep, and I have only had one or two bad cramps this pregnancy (when I had forgotten my magnesium oil for a few days in a row), whereas last time I had them all the time. Works like a charm! 
  • Options
    Yes to the Charlie horses. I also have very tight hip flexors and impingement in my hip joint (pre-preg) which hasn't gotten better. Make sure you are getting extra minerals--even your prenatal doesn't have enough according to some guidelines. Also, my Dad's trick which has always worked for me for Charlie horses is to exert pressure from your toes and roll down to the sole slowly and firmly.

I've been eating bananas and taking EmergenC more recently. That could help until you can ask your doc.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga