1st Trimester
Options

When was your first ultrasound?

I called on March 2nd to schedule my first OBGYN appointment and they wouldn't see me until March 28th. Based on my last period the nurse estimated I would be at my 8th week mark on the 28th and said they typically don't schedule appointments before then. My husband and I have been anxious these last few weeks and I've recently started reading about pregnancies, etc. and find it kind of odd that we've had to wait this out. It seems like six weeks is the normal for the first appointment and ultrasound. Curious if anyone else was told that these appointments don't happen until the 8th week? 

Re: When was your first ultrasound?

• Options
    by me its standard at 8 weeks. most of the people who you see post about their earlier appointments have seen an RE like myself. I had bloodwork the day after my bfp and an ultrasound at 6 and 7 w and then again at 8 at the obgyn. not much to see before 8 anyway....
  • Options
    Standard is typically 8-10 weeks. Those getting earlier ultrasound have history of losses, infertility/treatment, are high risk or have concerning symptoms. Eight weeks is totally normal, my first OB appointment isn't until 10w6d.
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    my first US & first doctor's appointment was at 12 weeks. & i think i only got that US because i elected to get the NT scan.
  • Options
    I think I'm just being a little paranoid because I've been told since an early age (13) that I most likely wouldn't be able to conceive without IVF/additional 'help' due to numerous issues with cysts, scarring, etc. Apparently my husband and I proved that wrong after only being off of BC for four months.
  • Options
    I know women who have had a previous loss with PCOS that weren't seen till 10 weeks. Every office is different. It just so happened that the office you chose don't do them till 8 weeks. Which, btw, was standard practice at mine. 
  • Options
    Totally normal. I am not sure where you read this, but it is very wrong.  Read information from professionals or experts, not blogs or message boards. Most (read not all) providers do not see patients until 8 to 10 weeks.
    My does a quick appt at 6 weeks to confirm pregnancy and do a Pap smear but does not start 'prenatal appt' until week 10. 
    And depending on your insurance,  a low risk pregnancy will typically have only 1 U/S. Which is the midpoint at 20 weeks (give or take 2 weeks).
  • Options
    It's normal. Not much to see before 8 weeks. Some wait longer. Sometimes you will see posts about people going earlier, but they pretty much always have a history of loss or some other issue going on.

Even with my loss history, I may not go in before 8 weeks- I don't want to be in a limbo period when there might be a heartbeat, might not, and panic if there isn't- or get my hopes up too high too early if there is. 
  • Options
    I'll be 9w3d at my first OB appointment. I went in at 7 weeks to do the mandatory urine test and to have blood drawn. First available appointment was 2+ weeks later. No biggie.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Options
    At my office, the nurse practitioner schedules an appointment to speak with you on the phone at 6 weeks to answer questions/concerns and go over appointment scheduling.  You have an appointment with the NP at 10 weeks and they try to do the Doppler to listen for the heart beat.  You have the option of the 12 week scan/genetic testing, and the only other regular scan they do is the anatomy scan at 20 weeks.  You don't meet with an OB until 14 weeks.

With that said, they will schedule you for a dating ultrasound if they think your dates might be off due to long or irregular menstrual cycles, and this pregnancy I am getting monitored closely very early on with bloodwork and likely an early ultrasound due to a previous ectopic.  
  • Options
    My first was 8 or 9 weeks (may have been close to 10...) but that ended up being an ectopic. After that (and only because of that), they saw me at 7 weeks to rule out a possible second one.

• Options
    Since I was nursing and didn't know my dates my first was 8 weeks, NT at 12.
  • Options
    Wi th my last pregnancy, my first US was at 20 weeks. Not all doctors do an early one.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    I am in Texas and most doctors schedule 1st prenatal ultrasound at 6 weeks. There are a few clinics that start at 8 weeks.
  • Options
    6 weeks with my RE; 9 weeks with my OB.

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • Options
    fourtsixand2fourtsixand2 member
    edited April 2016
    Very standard. Before then there isn't really much to see or monitor.  My first appointment was an 8 week appointment, but I was actually further along than I thought (12 weeks).
  • Options
    My first obgyn appointment and ultrasound is at 10w6d. The wait is killing me!!!
  • Options
    Just had my first last Monday and I was exactly 8 weeks.  :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Just had my first ultrasound today. I believe I'm 7weeks4days.. The doctor said I was measuring 8 weeks. I miscarried last year and there was no way I could relax waiting until week 12 again. 
  • Options
    I was 8 weeks and 5d with my first appointment and first ultrasound.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I just had my first appointment at 6w5d and it was really just going over paperwork, food and medicines to avoid, that sort of thing. I did get blood work and a US done, but that was because I've been having some spotting and they wanted to rule out some potential issues. Otherwise none of that would have happened until my next appointment.
  • Options
    I went to the doctor for a regular exam and my blood work came back abnormal. She did a pregnancy test and ultrasound the same day and confirmed pregnancy. She was off with her measures cause my second one she said I was only 6 weeks my next one is the 27th 
  • Options
    Based on LMP I would have been 9 weeks, but I was actually 7 weeks.

That right there is why I think they wait. When people have longer cycles, they aren't as far along as they think they are, and get scared when there isn't much to see on u/s.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Based on LMP I would have been 9 weeks, but I was actually 7 weeks.

That right there is why I think they wait. When people have longer cycles, they aren't as far along as they think they are, and get scared when there isn't much to see on u/s.
    Agreed with this. They scheduled my first ultrasound for when I should have been 8 weeks according to LMP but I was only 7 weeks.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Based off my LMP I will be 8wk and 3 days when I get my dating ultrasound.
     Me (28), H (30)
    Together Since 04/21/2009; Married Since 05/29/2013

Baby Boy born 11/30/16  <3

Baby #2 Due December 4