December 2015 Moms
Options

Mom and 4 month old very congested/breastfeeding

So my husband got our 4 month old sick with a nasty mucus/congestion head cold and now I have it. I am breastfeeding and trying to find safe drugs to help myself and not worry about side-effects while breastfeeding. I am not having any luck and need help, and I really need some other mommy advice on how I can help my baby. She's very young and sick and finding medicine for her is impossible. I made her a doctor appointment but it's on April 4 and I want to help her now! No fever but lots of congestion and coughing.

Answers

• Options
    My DS is 14 weeks and has nasty cold. We have just been using the nose frida every few hrs followed by saline drops and we have the humidifier set on high at night. Dr said if he starts a fever give Tylenol but so far no fever. Other than that just waiting it out. They have infant cough and cold medicine for babies 2 months +  but we haven't used it because he doesn't have a cough and isn't too upset by his cold. 
  • Options
    Is there a nurse hotline through your insurance or hospital you can call? Do not give a young infant any medication without her first seeing a physician. 
    Try flushing with saline, Boogie Mist works well for us, then use your aspirator to suck out the snot. You can also use Vicks on a rag and place it near her head to help with congestion. Run a HOT shower and hold her in the bathroom to let the steam break up the mucous. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When DD and I had a cold I just took ricola cough drops (the pharmacist was great about checking for me if things were safe while breastfeeding). For DD we used Maty's Natural baby chest rub. We got started on it wit DS, hubby and I have both used and and DD did well with it. DD sleeps in our room so we also set up a humidifier in there for both of us.

Kelly mom has an article on things you can take that might be helpful.
  • Options
    https://www.drugs.com/drug-safety-breastfeeding.html

For baby congestion, saline spray plus Nose Frida or similar. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    When my little one gets congested I spray my milk up her nose and use the bulb once it's really loose to suck it all out. Works like a charm! 
  • Options
    I would personally take her in tomorrow. That cough is what I would want checked out. Better safe than sorry. The 4th is WAY to far out. 
  • Options
    Saline helps my little dude when he gets congested!! 
  • Options
    We use a humidifier and the nose Frieda. As long as she had no fever and was eating I didn't worry. 
  • Options
    Hubs took DS to the dr this morning because of this, eye goop, and DS would cough while eating and it scared both of us last night. Dr said the coughing is good because of some sort of little flap in his throat that keeps liquid from getting in his lungs. We keep the humidifier on, use the nose sucker constantly, and wipe his eyes all the time. 

For myself, I will take no more than two doses of the Advil D a day and take fenugreek along with drinking the mothers milk tea to keep my supply up. The tea alone with honey has helped me with congestion some times. Just keep an eye on LO to see if it affects her and if it does use your stash if you have one and just pump and dump.