1st Trimester
Options

Early sonogram?

KrisiteKrisite member
edited March 2016 in 1st Trimester
My first new ob appointment is scheduled for my 6-7th week of pregnancy. Can anyone tell me what this scan is for? 

I've read some articles saying there is no point to scans before 11 to 12 weeks.

Re: Early sonogram?

• Options
    I had a scan at 7 weeks exactly for viability and dating purposes. 
  • Options
    Some docs just have different timelines. You might be able to see the heartbeat and maybe blood work? You can always call and ask. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a scan at 6 weeks, 7 weeks and 8 weeks. There is absolutely a point to them: they let my doc know that I am pregnant in my uterus, and that the embryo is developing properly. Oh yeah, and I got to see a heartbeat all three times. If you have a previous history of miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy your doc would be checking to make sure everything looks good so far.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Options
    My first sonogram was at 7+4 to check for a heartbeat, that the baby was in my uterus (not fallopian tubes) and confirm rough gestation.  Early on, embryo size isn't really very variable so it's a lot more accurate than a later scan as far as how far along you are.  Was it 100% necessary?  Probably not, but hearing her heartbeat and seeing it flash on the screen did SO much to help my nerves AND it confirmed that I ovulated when I thought that I did which makes me feel more secure in my EDD.  
  • Options
    thanks all!