December 2015 Moms
Options

What wouls you tell your pregnant self?

eliseandbabyeliseandbaby member
edited March 2016 in December 2015 Moms
if I could go back a couple months and talk to my pregnant self, I would say:

dont buy so many frilly outfits, get lots of basic onesies!

just spend a day sitting down and reading, having a coffee, watching a movie, whatever... Without being interrupted or having to breast feed!

Sleep in till 11! Turns out all those super annoying "sleep now while you still can" people were maybe right.

i would also warn myself how difficult the first couple weeks will be!!

what would you tell your pregnant self??

**edited because spelling is hard

Re: What wouls you tell your pregnant self?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Breastfeeding is going to be really painful!

Don't feel badly about sending the baby to the nursery for a bit so you can rest. Use the nurses while you have them!

Take more bump pictures, even if you feel ugly. You don't have to show anyone but it would be nice to have.
  • Options
    SLEEP!!!! Relax! Nap every damn day! Lol
  • Options
    I would say to relax more,that being a mother really is the best thing in the world even with the poo-namis and constant laundry, 
  • Options
    Thats not gas, it's a contraction. Get the epidural so you can sleep

Don't be afraid of his tiny body, you won't hurt him.

Stay in the L&D room as long as possible

Stand up to your recovery nurse

Buy plastic utensils/cups/plates to cut down on dishes

Sleep anytime you can

Breastfeeding will hurt. You will cry and call people asking if it's supposed to hurt so much but it WILL GET BETTER 
  • Options
    That it's okay to sit down and take a break you don't need to prove to everyone that just because you're pregnant doesn't mean you can't do shit 
  • Options
    Labor is not as terrible as you expect

Breastfeeding is way more terrible than you expect 

Only buy things you need for the first couple of weeks and buy everything else as you go. Who cares about the registry completion discount! 

Video record how YOU feel when baby moves (I only recorded the belly and now I feel like I can't remember what it felt like)

(FTM, TMI on this) Look at your lady bits one last time because they will never look the same again 
    The last one....SO true!  :D
  • Options
    laurabwalkerlaurabwalker member
    edited March 2016
    Sleep sleep sleep, eat lots of spicy food and cheese. Spend lots of time with husband and friends. Bask in freedom.

The birth really is just one day, focus more on learning about a newborn and what the first 8 weeks will be like.

Invest in an amazing swing it's about to save your life, or give you at least three hours sleep. 

Enjoy going to the bathroom cause it turns out it took 8 weeks without suppositories to go on your own. 
    Remember when you told the midwife no forceps, then you let the forceps happen, now look at you!

Your boobs will look terrible after BF even though you pretended they wouldn't.

most important, give your daughter a bottle one week into life as well as a soother. Your life would be very different.
  • Options
    mhg54mhg54 member
    Enjoy the time in the hospital. He will never be that little again! 
  • Options
    Haha these are all too good!!! And so true!!!
  • Options
    Don't tell your sons nurse to fuck off when she tried to make you nurse him when he's an hour old with a blood sugar of 14. And doesn't tell you that's why he won't wake up to try to eat. Hit her with the IV pole instead. 
  • Options
    I would sit my ignorant ass down and have a heart to heart about the first 3 weeks back. 
    1) When she cries, just put a boob in her mouth, she will be a lot happier. 

2) no really, you aren't going to sleep much. Stop trying to clean and take a damn nap.

3) Breastfeeding will be the hardest thing ever. Your supply will be fine. You will have some semblance of freedom again and sooner than you think.

4) postpartum blues suck, but don't let it get in the way of bonding with baby.

5) Life is about to really change. You don't have to lose yourself and you won't, but you have a new part of yourself that you have to reconcile with.
  • Options
    I love all this! I don't have a ton but I believe my biggest two:

1) prepare yourself for the PP blues/hormones that will be going crazy that NO ONE warned you about! You will hysterically cry about burning toast and wonder if feeling like that will ever go away, but it does! 

2) enjoy every breath she takes because every day when you wake up she looks different. 

Ok. One more - 

3) love the hell out of your body now because she's taking it with her when she goes..
  • Options
    1) As much as you love your husband, you two will argue and be at each other's throats more than you ever have been. Love & appreciate each other now - shit is gonna get tough when there's 3 of you.

2) Start a workout routine now so your PP self can get back to that same routine. Pounds don't just "fall off" like they did for your sister.

3) Appreciate your 34B boobs. They will get SMALLER after baby, if you can imagine that. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    Breastfeeding is so hard,  but it truly does get better. 

Stop stressing about the close monitoring and calling the OB. Going with your gut is  important. 

Don't worry so much about family accommodations and feelings. I wish I'd had more time with just me, DH and DD in the beginning.  

• Options
    These are amazing and SO TRUE!! I can relate to almost all of these haha!! 
  • Options
    @groovylocks I'm pulling for you! I hope you can live freely without that man some day!
  • Options
    Go on ALL THE DATES with husband now!
    Get better at accepting help, honey. You will need it. 
  • Options
    elbouelbou member
    I didn't have to many surprises this time around, but there were a couple things that would have been good to know...

First, when your family decides they are having Christmas 2 days after your due date at your brother's new house that's two hours away, don't stress. Baby wants to meet everybody and will arrive in plenty of time to go! (Also, this means he's coming early, so don't leave your nesting 'til the weekend before his due date!)

Second, make sure you know where the nipple cream is and keep it handy! This LO will make you work harder to be able to successfully breastfeed than any of the others did, and your nipples will be severely cracked if you don't start using that stuff ASAP!

• Options
    1) nipple shields exist for a reason, don't feel pressured to wean baby from it immediately if you feel it's right for you (just know you also have to pump every time for the first few months to stimulate supply). Doing this is way better than stressing out or not BFing at all.
    2)spend more time spoiling the dogs. Take them on more walks, and find a doggy daycare nearby so during those first few months they have somewhere to go and play.
    3) force husband to take more baby prep classes or read more articles. So many arguments about proper newborn care and troubleshooting behavioral issues could have been avoided if he agreed with me/science. 
  • Options
    teachmegs817teachmegs817 member
    edited March 2016
    I'd tell myself a few things.

1. Be prepared! and when you think you're prepared, check, double check, and triple check yourself.  LO came 6 weeks early and the thought of him coming early, crossed my mind a couple of times, but not that early.  Overall, things went pretty smooth, considering Christmas was right around the corner when he came.

2.  DH and I should have gone out on more dates and took the time to really spend quality time together. I wish we went on a 3-4 day vacation or even had the opportunity to go somewhere for a week.

3.  I wouldn't have really known because I am a FTM, but I wish I had taken a breastfeeding class or talked to more women who were on both sides of the breastfeeding issue.  I wish I stuck with it, but at the same time I am glad I didn't.  If we ever go for baby #2, I know that I will better prepare myself, if I am going to stick around with it longer than I did for this LO.  It's more of disciplining myself to stick to a schedule, and to have patience with it.
  • Options

3.  I wouldn't have really known because I am a FTM, but I wish I had taken a breastfeeding class or talked to more women who were on both sides of the breastfeeding issue.  I wish I stuck with it, but at the same time I am glad I didn't.  If we ever go for baby #2, I know that I will better prepare myself, if I am going to stick around with it longer than I did for this LO.  It's more of disciplining myself to stick to a schedule, and to have patience with it.
    I took a breastfeeding class and it totally did not prepare me. This is the one thing I'm so pissed about as a FTM. NO ONE leveled with me about how hard breastfeeding is. And how time consuming. And how you won't feel like a person for a month or 2. 
  • Options
    Don't worry you def will love your baby as much as your older

stop doing everything by yourself 

go to Boston with your husband!! Your older will be fine with grandma overnight!

shits about to get real.

• Options
    blended10 said:
    Don't worry you def will love your baby as much as your older

stop doing everything by yourself 

go to Boston with your husband!! Your older will be fine with grandma overnight!

shits about to get real.

Stuck in box!! But yeah. Basically just this. 
  • Options
    You don't need to eat everything in sight

Go for a walk several times a week, that way you won't have as much baby weight to lose! Plus regular walking/exercising actually gives you more energy.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Kick that horrible LC out when she comes to visit!!! Don't let her intimidate you! And pump longer than they told you to. Massage your breasts while you pump... Even though you have giant ta-tas you will have supply issues so work that milk out!
  • Options
    Kick that horrible LC out when she comes to visit!!! Don't let her intimidate you! And pump longer than they told you to. Massage your breasts while you pump... Even though you have giant ta-tas you will have supply issues so work that milk out!
    I hated my LC as well. Lol. She came and wasted my only hour with her. Talking about cavemen and breastfeeding. 
  • Options
    I would tell myself: 

get out now

• Options
    I would tell myself to take some good nude pictures in the beginning. Also to go ahead and sign up for the face to face statistics class. I would tell myself my son's diagnosis of bilateral hydroureteronephrosis so they could take him out sooner and he could have the surgery sooner and his kidneys and bladder would be in better shape now. I would tell myself to exercise at least some because 45 lbs is too much and breastfeeding is not going to make it go away :( Also to pick a different doctor for sooo many reasons.
  • Options
    I would tell myself: 

get out now

I find it so hard when women are with men that aren't treating them well... Especially since you just had a baby! Is there any way you can still get out?
  • Options
    I would tell myself: 

get out now

I find it so hard when women are with men that aren't treating them well... Especially since you just had a baby! Is there any way you can still get out?
    Oh we just got a divorce. He's just making it so much harder about custody that it really should be. If he didn't have a special connection with her (as in before she was born or even before he found out she was a girl) then it would have been so much easier. We were having problems then and he threatened divorce on me when we didn't even know he sex of the baby. That's when I wish I would have grown a pair and left. 
  • Options
    1. Work out through out pregnancy. It sucks losing baby fat after. 

2. Eat healthier even if you think you want everything in sight.

3. Do your kegels!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Sleep. Even though you think you're uncomfortable and can't. For the love of God, just sleep. 
  • Options
    Sleep. Even though you think you're uncomfortable and can't. For the love of God, just sleep. 
    Hahaha, yessss