1st Trimester

8-week U/S

arrecchionarrecchion member
edited March 2016 in 1st Trimester
stories welcome (of any kind).  we have a perfectly healthy 15-month old daughter that was conceived after a year of trying (provera, femara, clomid, etc) and until the very end i never even got AF without the provera.  finally a double-dose of clomid worked.  after nursing her 7 months, my AF returned but has been all over the place (anywhere from 27 days to 37).

my LMP was friday 1/29 and i had my annual appointment 2/23...at my request they took a urine pregnancy test and it was negative.  8 days later on 3/2, i received a positive test at home and 2 more following!  i scheduled an 8-week U/S, and have since had the usual fatigue but no real sickness or any sort of severe pain (and no bleeding/spotting).  i went in thursday (3/24) for my 8-week ultrasound and the tech immediately asked if my dates were right.  i assured her they were...she took a bunch of pictures but there were just 2-3 empty 'sacs' and no heartbeat or sign of a baby.  husband was with me, we talked to the dr and he said it was either (a) molar pregnancy (but i didn't have the "bunch of grapes" appearance or the severe pain/nausea)...(b) scar tissue from my c-section, or (3) my timing was way off and it's early or fading multiples.  they drew blood and said the #1 priority was understanding if it was molar so i was prepared for that and the necessary D&C.  we were completely devastated.  

they called yesterday 3/25 and my hCG levels were ~27,000, so it's highly unlikely that it's molar and said i need to come back next week.  i'm going in next wednesday 3/30 for another U/S.  i didn't talk to a doctor, just a lab technician, and she said normal hCG levels should be 32,000-140,000.

KEY QUESTION: is it possible, at all, that b/c some of my cycles have been so long that there's hope of a baby/babies (and if implantation was late)??  technically i went in thursday 3/24 at 7wk6d according to my LMP.  my cycles immediately prior to conception were 32 and 34 days respectively.  

Re: 8-week U/S

• hypothetically if you got a bfp on the 2nd at the earliest posisble time you could have been late 3w. so it's about another 3 until now from then and you could be fine.'

you should definitely ask your doctor about this. they know more than us. 
  • Loading the player...
  • At that far along and with that high of an hcg level, they should have been able to see something, as @TheBorg7of9 stated in her response. Follow up with your beta, and speak with your doctor about the plan for the upcoming weeks. Good luck to you and your family.
    DS Maxwell - 08/25/2009
    Wedded Bliss - 05/19/15
    MC - 05/15/15 & 7/29/15 & 11/25/15 (You were wished for, hoped for and loved)
    BFP#4; EDD 10/21/16 - Praying for a miracle.

• I'll echo what PPs have said. I was given an u/s after my hcg levels got above 1000. The first u/s (5w4d), the embryo was barely visible but all other parts were there. My second u/s (6w5d), baby was visible with a heartbeat. 

I'm sorry.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing