Baby Names
Options

Germanic name for team green?

karlimonsterkarlimonster member
edited March 2016 in Baby Names

Hey everyone! I would love some help with names as I have learned my bf and I really lucked out naming our son, Ulysses Patrick. FN is literary (bf’s criteria) and a strong, unique, real name (my criteria). MN is a family name. We are team green and have oh so different naming styles. (Trust me, it's bad).

For reference, I’ll share some names on my personal short list. 

Girl:

FN: Florence, Lorelei, Ute 

MN: Alice, Brooke, Kay, Liebe (German for love, “lee-bah”)

Boy: 

FN: August/Augustus, Cormac, Elroy, Gustav 

MN: Alan, Brooks, and if I’m feeling really gutsy, Rad (German for bike, “rahd”)

All my bf’s name suggestions are nms or waaaayyyy too trendy.

In a perfect world we could meet some of our criteria AND the name would be Germanic to honor my heritage (our son’s name honors his). MN will be a family name. Would love to hear any input and/or suggestions as I have seen some of you guys are super creative and smart with names. Thank you!

Re: Germanic name for team green?

• Options
    Well, I love Florence and Lorelei is nice. I'd drop Ute, cause, well, uterus. 

I like your middle names, and just as a general throwing it out the suggest Liesl, Renata, Benedikta, Dorothea, Wilhelmina and Theadora.

For the boys, I like Augustus. Nothing wrong with the others, just nms. For the middle, there's so many great German names that I'd just drop Rad, it's trying too hard.

Suggest 
    Aloysius
    Armin
    Bastian 
    Bertram 
    Conrad
    Detlef
    Edmund
    Emmerich 
    Florian 
    Johannes 
    Kaspar
    Leopold 
    Ludwig 
    Rainer
    Reinhard
    Roland
    Waldemar 
    Wendel
    Wilhelm 
    Wolfgang 
    Wolfram 
  • Options
    Well, I love Florence and Lorelei is nice. I'd drop Ute, cause, well, uterus. 

I like your middle names, and just as a general throwing it out the suggest Liesl, Renata, Benedikta, Dorothea, Wilhelmina and Theadora.

For the boys, I like Augustus. Nothing wrong with the others, just nms. For the middle, there's so many great German names that I'd just drop Rad, it's trying too hard.

Suggest 
    Aloysius
    Armin
    Bastian 
    Bertram 
    Conrad
    Detlef
    Edmund
    Emmerich 
    Florian 
    Johannes 
    Kaspar
    Leopold 
    Ludwig 
    Rainer
    Reinhard
    Roland
    Waldemar 
    Wendel
    Wilhelm 
    Wolfgang 
    Wolfram 
    Thank you :)

My bf mentioned that about Ute, even though the pronunciation is "oo-tah". I do like Dorothea, but my step mom is Dorothy and I have a feeling that would REALLY go to her head, ha ha.

I know, Rad is ridiculous, even if biking/bikes mean a lot to my bf and I.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do love Leopold, Conrad and some others a lot. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know people react strongly to this one, but I love the name Wilhelmina. 
  • Options
    I love Augustus and Gustav

Claudia
    Erika
    Federika
    Johanna
    Odette
  • Options
    Where do you live? If it's here in the States Ute is going to be a hot mess because the pronunciation is so far off from the spelling and looks like uterus. I love Lorelei and Augustus
  • Options
    For a girl I like Florence. I would also suggest Frieda, Ada, Ida, and Zelda.

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Where do you live? If it's here in the States Ute is going to be a hot mess because the pronunciation is so far off from the spelling and looks like uterus. I love Lorelei and Augustus
    California, so yes a mess. Also the name of a Native American tribe. Probably best to toss :/
  • Options
    I love Wolfgang for a boy, nickname Wolfie. Paired with Augustus or Brooks would be nice. 

Florence Liebe would be sweet for a girl... translates to "prosperous or flowering love". Also love Alice Johanna

Other suggestions; Greta or Gretchen, Ingrid, Mariele, Mathilde... all Germanic. 

For a full list of Germanic names go here.
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    I love Wolfgang for a boy, nickname Wolfie. Paired with Augustus or Brooks would be nice. 

Florence Liebe would be sweet for a girl... translates to "prosperous or flowering love". Also love Alice Johanna

Other suggestions; Greta or Gretchen, Ingrid, Mariele, Mathilde... all Germanic. 

For a full list of Germanic names go here.
    Thank you! It's nice to hear Wolfgang suggested. I love it, but I didn't know if it was too out there. 
  • Options
    Lorelei is perfect for a girl! Literary and German. Check, check. I also like Frida.

Johann (Goethe)
    Friedrich (Nietzsche)
    Heinrich (Heine, Boell)

Wolfgang is great