December 2015 Moms

The baby is NOT cold!

Anyone else constantly getting badgered about the baby being cold?

My MIL has told me DD is cold every single time she sees her. I started saying 'no' so now she's moved on to just telling DH to bring her a blanket to bundle her up and of course DH just listens to her. My mom and my sister always tell me she's cold too. And yesterday while running errands some elderly woman came and told me to bundle her up. Like why does everyone think she needs to be wrapped up in blankets all the time? It's not like she's just wearing a diaper. She's fully clothed with pants and socks. By the way I'm in LA where the weather is in the 80's! 

newtonc2ATolentino89groovylocksRSB1982erikaalzetcblanco1

Re: The baby is NOT cold!

• Yes, all the time! DD is a furnace. She is NOT cold. I have her bundled up since it's still cold here but I guess it's not good enough lol. Don't take it personally. It's just unsolicited advice like during our pregnancies.
    preggoandglowing
  • DD will sweat terribly if I let my mother dress her/blanket her. I eventually got fed up and read her the AAP article where it says overheating a baby when they're sleeping makes the risk of SIDS go up. 
    preggoandglowingnewtonc2ammnam14groovylocks
  • Loading the player...
  • All the time lol. She's always sweating she
    doesnt need a blanket and jacket
    preggoandglowingJackJacktheCat
  • My MIL always think DS is freezing. She says something every single time and constantly wraps him in blankets - one time she was watching him and had him wrapped in 4 different blankets inside the house while he was also wearing a sleeper! I just ignore her and tell her he's fine and doesn't need a blanket or if she asks for one I'll give her a thin receiving blanket. 
    preggoandglowing
  • DDs hands are always cold but she's a pretty sweaty baby's so everyone assumes she's cold when it's just her hands. They are cold because they are in her mouth half the time and are wet.
    ammnam14preggoandglowingcblanco1rmarie13
  • My daycare provider thought I was crazy for sending DS in shorts the other day (we live in cold MN) but I told her he's a hot box so not to worry about it. She said she'd have to put pants & a sweater on him and I said you really don't have to. At the end of the day when I picked him up, she finally agreed and was commenting on how warm he stays. Uhh DUH lady, mama knows best. :#
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
    preggoandglowing
  • I live in the Midwest and it started snowing today so it's been in the 20s and even with two blankets, I took him out of the car seat and he was covered in sweat.  Poor peanut. :(
    preggoandglowing
  • Omg this is one thing that drives me up the wall! My MIL and her mom are constantly swaddling him up in 3 different blankets and making comments on how cold he is all the time! So I finally made them feel the back of his neck to show how hot he is! And explained and showed them information about how to tell if they are hot.. And not by their hands!! They still don't get it and they watch him two afternoons a week! My husband even makes comments to them telling them he is a warm baby and doesn't need to be swaddled in a ton of blankets. 
    preggoandglowing
  • UGH I can't stand this!!!! I'm at my MiL's for the weekend and she already went off about having a fan in our room. She tried to switch it for a heater and I'm like... No, it's okay. We get hot easily. And she went on about the fan making it too cold for LO. No, he's fine. He's a warm baby and he is swaddled up and fully clothed. We do this every night. And she's already come into the room since and turned down the fan. I immediately turned it back up. She's super mad now. 
    preggoandglowingtaysun
  • Sounds like we all have hot boxes! If I worry she is ever cold I usually look like a jerk on the flip side bc she is drenched in sweat when I take her out of whatever she is in! I never used those snow suit warm fuzzy things bc she would sweat to death! Even when she cries in the bare minimum the back of her head starts sweating. When I am BF her I can't wear anything with sleeves bc the same! She will start sweating. I think she actually prefers it a little colder. When the room is more cool at night she sleeps longer stretches. 
    preggoandglowingteachmegs817
  • I feel like I get stares too when I take LO out.  I don't put him in a jacket when we go out, just a light weight hoodie or zip up fleece.  I will put a hat on his head, but I've brought him out numerous times and I feel like people are looking at me because I don't have one of those zip around carseat covers or 2-3 blankets covering him at all times while we shop.  I'm in Upstate NY, where we are just now reaching temps in the 40's consistently, so it is chilly.  But still, I have a little oven for a child.  He get's overly hot and sweats, so I don't layer him up for that reason.
    preggoandglowing
  • My own mother does this. She lives out of state. It was 70 degrees in February on one day and she flipped seeing a picture of DD outside in a onesie. We live out in the Midwest. She lives in the south. Of course I wouldn't let DD freeze to death! 
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013

preggoandglowing
  • I was wanting to ask this question too!  My mother is always telling me DD is cold- but she's such a little hot body...and we live in TX so it's pretty warm.  

I just roll my eyes and remind her for the 100th time how warm she always is.
    preggoandglowing
  • My mom is always worried about it too! Gosh we must have sweat a ton when we were kids! I think the rule of checking the back of the neck must not have been a thing back then. I always have to remind her of that.
    preggoandglowing
  • So funny @soccsm13 I was thinking the same thing!! It's so funny how things have changed over the years some of the comments I hear from older people is nuts! 
    soccsm13preggoandglowing
  • Wearing my baby in 70 degree weather in California, we are both sweating & all the old ladies always ask me where her hat is, or why she doesn't have socks on.... BECAUSE SHE'S NOT COLD! Ugh, this gets on my nerves so bad. 
  • I'm moving from a super hot place to a super cold place so I'll be bundling her up double layers, socks, and mittens. I hope I don't underdress 
    preggoandglowing
  • I'm moving from a super hot place to a super cold place so I'll be bundling her up double layers, socks, and mittens. I hope I don't underdress 
    Even in 30 degree weather we don't bundle her up like that. You just have to check how warm her body is and don't go by hands or feet. My mother always puts a onesie and socks under sleep and plays but then she sweats and overheats. 
    We put her in one layer under one blanket when we go anywhere because she gets SO hot in her car seat plus the car heat is on. And she only wears a hat when she's outside. 
    Be careful not to overdress her either. 
    andreaAL11Mizuiro007esscapelle
  • taysun said:
    I'm moving from a super hot place to a super cold place so I'll be bundling her up double layers, socks, and mittens. I hope I don't underdress 
    Even in 30 degree weather we don't bundle her up like that. You just have to check how warm her body is and don't go by hands or feet. My mother always puts a onesie and socks under sleep and plays but then she sweats and overheats. 
    We put her in one layer under one blanket when we go anywhere because she gets SO hot in her car seat plus the car heat is on. And she only wears a hat when she's outside. 
    Be careful not to overdress her either. 
    The last Time I went I was scared of overdressing and she got a little cough. The next night I had a onesie under and then a light zip up onside with socks and mittens and I think that was perfect. So I have an idea! But you're right, she is a hot little being l, I'm just afraid of the sudden temperature drop. From 80 degree weather to 50 degree weather. 
  • So I came home from work the other day and Nico needed his diaper changed. I unzipped his LONG sleeve FOOTED onsie to find socks on him. Socks. It's 80 degrees outside.