Babies on the Brain
Options

Spina Bifida

I have spina bifida occulta in my lower spine (L4-s1) area. I have never had any major issues that you would usually associate with spina bifida (ex. Neurological). The only problems I have had as a result are severe back pain and weakened vertebrae. I have actually fractured my L5 vertebrae. I have been seeing a chiropractor for almost 2 years now and that has helped some in dealing with the pain. So, after all of that background, my question is what is the chances my baby will be born with spina bifida. My husband and I are going to start TTC in April. I have been taking folic acid since December and prenatal vitamins since February. I want to do all I can to help ensure that our baby is healthy. Is there anything else that I should be doing or does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

Re: Spina Bifida

• Options
    I'm new here and haven't officially introduced myself but thought I'd jump in.
    My husband has spina bifida and we saw a genetic counselor, we were told there that I should be on 4 times the amount of an over the counter folic acid pill. I am currently on a prescription dose of folic acid and was told that taking that makes our chances of having a child with spina bifida about the same chances as someone without spina bifida, since your chances of passing on the genes is higher since you have spina bifida.
  • Options
    I have several cousins who have neural tube defects (a handful with spina bifeda and one with severe hydrocephaly) and I also have a 4x-strength prescription for folic acid. Your doctor may also prescribe genetic counseling.