May 2016 Moms
Options

Scared of Breastfeeding

2»

Re: Scared of Breastfeeding

• Options
    I have never planned to breastfeed, as it makes me uncomfortable too. I really can't even understand why, it just does. I also struggle with severe anxiety and think it would be best for me and baby if I get back on my meds ASAP when she's born. My doctor said I could not breastfeed on this specific medication. DH is behind my decision 100%. I am finding though, that most people just assume I will BF and I haven't had the guts to correct them, because I feel SO judged. I kind of planned to just let people assume it didn't work for us so we had to resort to formula. Now, I'm thinking WHO CARES. My baby, my choices. Then, I get admitted to L&D last week for contractions and decreased fetal movement, and the nurse is asking me all the general questions. "Do you plan to breastfeed?" comes up and I quickly say no. My husband and I both heard her make a sound like..hm? Then she says "Well have you considered it?" I say no again and she just stares at me. After that, she was never quite as nice! I was shocked, but I'm hoping this nurse is in the minority and I won't be made to feel guilty when I go in to deliver.
    Hearing that makes me so angry. While I plan to try breastfeeding, I totally respect the decision not to. We should never be judged for that decision by anyone. In your case I totally commend you for putting your mental health as a top priority. That will be more beneficial to have mom who is present and stable and not trying to fight the hard emotional stuff just for the sake of breastfeeding. You're totally doing the right thing for your baby. Just wanted to say, good on you! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lbachranlbachran member
    edited April 2016
    @southerngirlgetsfit, take care of yourself first, the last thing you want is to have postpartum symptoms amplified because you were afraid to go back on your medication. There's nothing wrong with putting your mental health first. Take what @khochanadel said to heart, there really is only 1 appropriate response to a mom opting not to BF and it's not what you were told.
  • Options
    You ladies are all awesome! Thanks so much for the support :smiley: 
  • Options
    I'm finding my biggest frustrating with everything I'm reading- other than the pressure- is the don't use pacifiers information. I feel like I'm getting conflicting information. I get that giving pacifiers before BFing is established can affect the latch- but at the same time I've read so many things that say giving your child a pacifier can help prevent SIDS-- so in my brain having to struggle with the latch is worth it if pacifiers help reduce SIDs risk. Thoughts from STMs? 
  • Options
    I'm finding my biggest frustrating with everything I'm reading- other than the pressure- is the don't use pacifiers information. I feel like I'm getting conflicting information. I get that giving pacifiers before BFing is established can affect the latch- but at the same time I've read so many things that say giving your child a pacifier can help prevent SIDS-- so in my brain having to struggle with the latch is worth it if pacifiers help reduce SIDs risk. Thoughts from STMs? 
    This may be different for each baby, but DS naturally sucked in his sleep (which is the point of giving a pacifier to reduce SIDS risk) so not having a pacifier was never an issue. That said, even though we bf, I tried offering him a pacifier and he just never liked anything we tried.