Trying to Get Pregnant

Z-Pack w/Metformin & Provera

I have been taking Metformin and Provera for 6 days and woke up this morning with a sore, red and swollen throat.  My doctor gave me a z-pack and I told him that I was taking the Met/Pro and he said it should be fine.  I also asked the pharmacist and she seemed a little hesitant when she told me it would be fine.  

I just don't want it to interfere and cancel out the other meds.

Is feeling like you've got strep throat a side effect of these meds?

Re: Z-Pack w/Metformin & Provera

• This would be a great Google search.
  • Google search... or trust your Dr.. they have computers that notify them of interactions. 
  • Loading the player...
  • JohnnaToo said:
    I have been taking Metformin and Provera for 6 days and woke up this morning with a sore, red and swollen throat.  My doctor gave me a z-pack and I told him that I was taking the Met/Pro and he said it should be fine.  I also asked the pharmacist and she seemed a little hesitant when she told me it would be fine.  

I just don't want it to interfere and cancel out the other meds.

Is feeling like you've got strep throat a side effect of these meds?
    Two medical professionals told you that it would be fine. Very few women here have medical training and none can give you advice over the Internet, so you should follow what your health care professionals told you to do. If you have questions you should call them.
  • I'm just going to echo what @LadyMillil responded. Two medical professionals told you it would be fine. If you have concerns, I would call the pharmacy and they can double-check for you. I don't have a medical degree and I'm not familiar with the medications.
  • Did you even go in?  Did they rule out Step, sinus infection, ear infection, or post nasal drip (can we say HELLO Spring!)
  • Yes....I work for my doctor so he examined me and then prescribed the z-pack.  I informed him before he wrote it that I was taking Metformin and Provera and he said that it would be fine because he prescribes a Z-pack for pregnant women.  He isn't negligent or irresponsible.

I just wanted to be absolutely sure.
  • JohnnaToo said:
    Yes....I work for my doctor so he examined me and then prescribed the z-pack.  I informed him before he wrote it that I was taking Metformin and Provera and he said that it would be fine because he prescribes a Z-pack for pregnant women.  He isn't negligent or irresponsible.

I just wanted to be absolutely sure.
    Well, the fact is that antibiotics are very over prescribed which is causing bacteria to be resistant to them, which is going to be a huge problem.

Mayo Clinic says: "The overuse of antibiotics — especially taking antibiotics even when they're not the appropriate treatment — promotes antibiotic resistance. Antibiotics treat bacterial infections but not viral infections. For example, an antibiotic is an appropriate treatment for strep throat, which is caused by the bacterium Streptococcus pyogenes. It's not, however, the right treatment for most sore throats, which are caused by viruses."  https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/in-depth/antibiotics/art-20045720

Also, if you trust your doctor so much about the antibiotics prescription, why don't you trust him regarding the conflicts with your other meds.

Lastly, I am confused why being able to take something when you are pregnant automatically means you can take it with metformin and provera.  I'm sure it's fine, but that reasoning makes no sense.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• juliehollz13juliehollz13 member
    edited March 2016
    Took provera and metformin for months....definitely never had the side of a sore throat. However, all this pollen is making me cough up a lung and my throat is always sore. Maybe try a benadryl and if it doesn't work take the prescribed medicine? Did he test you for strep throat? 
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• I don't understand why I am getting these aggressive responses to a simple question.  I am new to the PCOS situation and I am just curious.  If it offends or bothers you I'm sorry.  
  • I'm failing to find the aggressive responses. I agree with @juliehollz13. I would try an antihistamine first to see if it's allergies and then try the prescription. I cannot even begin to tell you how many times a doctor tried to prescribe me antibiotics, only to find it was allergies. Give it a try. 
  • I also fail to see aggression. I think a lot of PPs are frustrated with your description of how you came to get a Z-Pak. The vast majority of sore throats are caused by viruses (or allergens / environmental irritants).  Taking an antibiotic without an actual bacterial infection contributes to the problem we have with antibiotic resistant bacteria and doesn't help your actual malady. It may seem to, but in a lot of cases, it's just the time that passes - your body works through the viral infection.

Anyway, you don't mention a strep test although some PPs have asked so they, like me, assume there was no test. That's what's frustrating. I assume at least a few readers, like me, know someone who has dealt with a resistant bacterial infection, or see it daily in their line of work, or have read the terrifying scenarios of a not too distant future where simple scrapes and cuts (not to mention surgeries and common infections) will kill because antibiotics don't work anymore. 
    Me - 30  DH - 36
    Married 10/12/13
    TTC #1 since 10/15
    Chart!