March 2016 Moms

Easter Dinner

My baby will be nearly 2 weeks old for Easter & I'm worried to take him to dinner where there will be ~15-20 people.  I want my family to all be able to meet our new little guy, but I wonder if I shouldn't b/c it's not 6 weeks yet.  What about the rest of you?  Are you taking baby to family dinners?

Re: Easter Dinner

• My LO (our 2nd kiddo) will be meeting his cousins and family this Friday.  When I was a FTM I was much more conservative and didn't take DS1 out as early, but DS2 has been to several places with us and we don't worry.  On the other hand, with a dinner with lots of family who might want to play pass the baby?  Just be reserved and take a baby carrier (like a wrap) so you can keep baby close and worry less about germs being passed.  If it's still a concern beyond that, then there's no shame in staying home.  Newborns are difficult with crowds, especially if you're nursing.  Everyone wants to offer their opinions and most of them are not helpful, so sometimes with your first, it's better to stay away from crowds and 'well-doers' who might hurt your nursing relationship or cause you to have any doubts about how you're parenting so far.
  • Any time I've seen a question similar to this asked people suggest baby wearing. That allows you to control baby and keep him away from too many people, plus it keeps him closer to you and you're his comfort right now. I don't think two weeks is necessarily too early, if it were me I'd just let family know that if you need to leave early it step into another room for an hour or so that they need to be understanding of that.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Loading the player...
  • Baby wearing is a great idea! We are not having as big of an Easter dinner, we are only expecting about 8-10 people but we are planning to bring DD as she has already met everyone who will be there. I will consider bringing my carrier now ☺️