November 2015 Moms
Options

Eye rubbing

My LO LOVES to touch everything. She constantly wants something in her hands. Especially when she's going to sleep. When I rock her to put her down she is always touching her face, or my face, with her hands. Or she likes to hold my hand. I try to hold her hands as much as possible because if I don't she rubs her eyes really hard with her hands and wakes herself up. Recently she's been eye rubbing when I lay her down. No matter how long she's been asleep in my arms, as soon as I put her down her hands go to her face. She does that until she's awake. She wakes herself up a few times a night doing this. About a week ago I reverted back to the swaddle (which we havent used in a month). Since she was only 3 months, not rolling all the way over I felt okay about it, and honestly, I just needed some sleep! She slept  for 10 hours straight. Which is normal for her. I noticed a huge difference in her the next day. She wasn't overly tired and cranky. She's 4 months now and I know we can not use the swaddle. I didn't even like using it for a few days. I just have no ideas on what to do. She will hold a blanket for naps, but I do not feel comfortable leaving a blanket in her crib when I can't watch her. Does anyone else have this problem? What has worked for you? 

Re: Eye rubbing

• Options
    Jane rubs her eyes as she is falling asleep. If I sing to her, she typically stops. She doesn't wake herself up rubbing her eyes in the middle of the night, though, so I don't know about that. 

What is the danger with blankets? I'm not aware of this. 
  • Options
    Have you tried the zipadeezip? It might be worth it, as it's a good swaddle transition that allows freedom of movement while also covering hands but allowing access. My LO is obsessed with his hands too and they are either in his mouth or all over his face (he woke up a couple of times because he scratched himself). The zippy allows access to his hands but is more pleasant because they are covered, this might make her feel like she's grasping a blanket too.  Well worth the purchase!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I will definitely be looking into that! Thank you! Blankets increase the risk of sids. Nothing should be in the crib besides a fitted sheet. Of course that is at your discretion and your choice as a parent. We just prefer to not use them. 
  • Options
    We give our LO a lovey to sleep with, the small blanket with the animal head. Worked like a charm and it's so small I don't have to worry about him getting tangled up in it. 
  • Options
    G has done something with his hands from day 1. He rubs his eyes almost violently when tired. Holding my finger helps. He holds his own hands sometimes too. His face is always scratched up from rubbing, no matter what I do to his nails. 
    Me: 28 DBF: 30
    BFP#1 07/10/14 EDD 3/14/15 Diagnosed with Blighted Ovum 08/18/14
    BFP#2  3/17/15 EDD 11/22/15
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I will definitely be looking into that! Thank you! Blankets increase the risk of sids. Nothing should be in the crib besides a fitted sheet. Of course that is at your discretion and your choice as a parent. We just prefer to not use them. 
    Blankets actually don't increase the risk of SIDS as SIDS is sudden and unknown but it does increase the risk of suffocating.
  • Options
    kdoak2015 said:
    Blankets actually don't increase the risk of SIDS as SIDS is sudden and unknown but it does increase the risk of suffocating.
    My understanding of the issue is that having blankets in the bed correlates with a higher rate of SIDS and is therefore considered a possible risk factor.  Of course correlation is not causation, but some feel it is better to decrease as much as possible anything that is correlated with the syndrome. 

I give Bridget a small lovey and/or stuffed animal.  I will often give her the lovey to hold and place the (small) stuffed animal against her back since she is a side sleeper.  My understanding is that things such as small light objects (obviously nothing large enough to wrap around her neck or small enough to be swallowed) are fine in the crib at night once infants are able to roll over both ways. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options
    Yes you ladies are correct. It does not cause SIDS but the correlation between blankets in the crib and SIDS is enough to be considered a risk factor. I live in an area where the SIDS rate is higher than the national average and I teach safe sleep at a pregnancy center, so I'm sure I over think it more than the average person. My mom doesn't understand why I do not give her a blanket. It is just a precaution that I can take, and so I do. I know everyone does things differently.Thank you for the advice about the lovey! I will try that. She sometimes holds her sleep sac but she can only hold it right by her side so she doesn't like that either. 
  • Options
    Good luck! My LO hates almost all pacifiers so that really isn't an option for us. The other thing we have is a "mink" sheet that's super soft and feels like a blanket. He loves it!

QuickZip Crib Extra Zip-On Sheet, Heavenly Soft Mink, White - Goes With QuickZip Crib Sheet Base Sold Separately https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003U40HBU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_rzZ8wbSVSC9X7
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! This is us for tonight at least! I love it, but I can't make it a habit! I must sleep too.... but she's so cute! <3
  • Options
    As I read this I'm trying to rock DD to sleep and she will not stop rubbing her face! I feel your pain on this one. I also choose not to let DD sleep with a blanket, although I bet she'd love to hold onto it.