1st Trimester
Options

When did you start trying to guess your gender with old wives tales? (for fun of course)

I am 11 weeks and one day. Is it too soon to start trying to see which gender i am having with the old wives tales :wink: 
Married to My Best Friend
Mom to 2 Fur Babies (Great Danes)

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: When did you start trying to guess your gender with old wives tales? (for fun of course)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Guess? I would saw the day after I found out I was pregnant.  I was always asking my DH 'what do you think baby is'. A few days or week later, we would guess again. I even did some 'baby sex quizzes' online. Half said boy and half said girl.... 

But I didn't go out and buy draino or something.  
  • Options
    I googled the Chinese predictor calendar about 20 minutes after my BFP.  Then found out for sure at 17 weeks.  The calendar was wrong.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    megstervt said:
    I googled the Chinese predictor calendar about 20 minutes after my BFP.  Then found out for sure at 17 weeks.  The calendar was wrong.
    aww, my sister in law did that one and it was right three times! but a lot of other ladies i know it wasnt correct, hey its 50/50 chance right haha. but its all in good fun.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Lindsayleigh1989
    hey girl, i learned some of the lingo but im not sure about that one? gbcb?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I just don't understand the rush in wanting to know what your child's genitals look like. Waiting til 15-20 weeks really isn't that hard.
    It's better than most our parents,  which had to wait till birth. 
  • Options
    I just don't understand the rush in wanting to know what your child's genitals look like. Waiting til 15-20 weeks really isn't that hard.
    It's better than most our parents,  which had to wait till birth. 

the horror.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    SonyaL9 said:
    I think it's a shame that we can't get excited over different things, personally I couldn't care what my baby is when it comes out as I'm sure the original poster couldn't... However that doesn't mean to say when friends and family sit guessing or when I'm told certain cravings mean boy / girl etc or my partners family hasn't had a girl in years I don't get carried away in that curiousity! I've definitely completed a quiz or read some old wives tales.. Anyone would be an idiot to take them as gospel or fact but I don't see why would shoot down anyone's excitement or way of passing the time! If don't like or agree with the post, don't respond, saves hurting anyone or making them feel daft for starting an innocent post in first time preg excitement. 
    Thank you! I clearly stated "for fun of course" i dont see why ppl have to be so negative and hateful. why did my post just turn into something that i feel im defending myself. i should be able to discuss stupid things like this , like you said to pass the time, if i want to and if no one wants to be positive and say what they did for fun then please just dont respond. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Then try this on your own Bmb. No one told you not to be excited they just told you it doesn't go over well on the bump. They were just giving you a heads up. Try to consider what they did kind instead of getting so upset about some good advice 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    kayyxkayyx member
    Check out 'nub theory' there are some groups on Facebook where the admins will give their opinion based on the 'nub' in your scan picture  :)
  • Options
    @kayyx thanks love :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @sdlindenberg said it beautifully. search was designed for a reason. my husband and I read the gender stuff and laugh because each one says opposite for me. you guys don't care and no offense but I don't give a crap what a chart says. 

• Options
    Yes to what @sdLindenberg said I'm also a FTM and excited but learned the suggestions read all the stickied posts and used the search function. 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    You can do them whenever because they're a total coin flip.  Were many of the old wives tales right for me?  Sure, but at a 50/50 shot each, I would expect that a decent number of them would be right.  That's just how math works.  They're fun to do with friends and family but honestly, just like you likely don't care if I'm having a boy or girl, most people here don't likely care whether you're having a boy or girl either.  Get to know your BMB, they're a great place to make friends and by the time your anatomy scan rolls around, maybe you'll know them well enough with them to actually care about what they're having and vice versa.  
  • Options
    I had "fun" with the old wives tales in the first few weeks after my BFP, but they were all wrong. Every single one. I also did an unpopular thing on TB and had an US at a boutique place to find out the sex before my anatomy scan. I don't regret doing it but it was totally unnecessary and I ended up not really feeling like I could trust the results because it was early and they weren't medical professionals, so it definitely wasn't worth the $50. I should have just waited.
  • Options
    I guess i am confused as to why anyone would comment anything rude on this post. i said FOR FUN of course! i was looking to talk to ladies who did the old wives tales its something fun to do , and if we are all in our first trimester why would anyone be negative towards anyone else? especially over something like this? if i think a post is dumb ,I don't even open them. sorry ladies, why cant we just be nice to one another

Not everyone finds it fun, for one. And secondly, wives tales are exactly that... Tales. Not true necessarily. The Chinese gender predictor told me that I'm having a boy. Guess what? She's a girl. Third, nobody has said anything remotely rude at all. Me personally, I gave you a heads up that threads like this do NOT go over well, and also suggested using the search function in the future to avoid things like this. 
    I'm in my third trimester. I come to the other boards because someone could be going through the same crap I did at the beginning and are looking for insight. 
    Like i said earlier, not many people outside your own real life friends and family think guessing a babies sex is fun. I didn't think guessing my own kids sex was fun, but that's just me. 
    I agree that guessing the sex of Internet stranger's babies isn't fun.... However the OP didn't actually ask anyone to do this, all she simply asked was if it was too soon to try out any old wives tales so I'm not sure why she's being flamed for something she didn't actually do here. 
  • Options
    I guess i am confused as to why anyone would comment anything rude on this post. i said FOR FUN of course! i was looking to talk to ladies who did the old wives tales its something fun to do , and if we are all in our first trimester why would anyone be negative towards anyone else? especially over something like this? if i think a post is dumb ,I don't even open them. sorry ladies, why cant we just be nice to one another

Not everyone finds it fun, for one. And secondly, wives tales are exactly that... Tales. Not true necessarily. The Chinese gender predictor told me that I'm having a boy. Guess what? She's a girl. Third, nobody has said anything remotely rude at all. Me personally, I gave you a heads up that threads like this do NOT go over well, and also suggested using the search function in the future to avoid things like this. 
    I'm in my third trimester. I come to the other boards because someone could be going through the same crap I did at the beginning and are looking for insight. 
    Like i said earlier, not many people outside your own real life friends and family think guessing a babies sex is fun. I didn't think guessing my own kids sex was fun, but that's just me. 
    I agree that guessing the sex of Internet stranger's babies isn't fun.... However the OP didn't actually ask anyone to do this, all she simply asked was if it was too soon to try out any old wives tales so I'm not sure why she's being flamed for something she didn't actually do here. 
    First, I want to steal your cat because I love all cats lol. 
    Second, it's not so much that she's getting flamed, my initial post for her was purely to inform her that these kinds of threads REEEally don't get good feedback, and in the future, using the search function would help out in the chance she has a legit question. For the record, I did apologize in advance for coming off bitchy, as that was not my intention. I've seen some of the crap that goes down here and I was honestly just trying to give a heads up. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    rfergrferg member
    I got this app with my first pregnancy and I quit reading the discussions because people were so mean to each other. Instead I used the What to Expect app.  The board for my group was great (I still follow it and our babies are a year old) However, I know some of the other months did have problems; it just depends on the group of people.  I decided to give this app a chance again since it would be different people but it looks like some of the same stuff going on.  I will continue to use it for the info but just not use the discussion boards just like my last pregnancy. 

• Options
    I'm confused @rferg. you're basically saying people can't want others to follow the rules listed or have an opinion? isn't that the point of a message board? 
  • Options
    mrszoess said:
    I'm confused @rferg. you're basically saying people can't want others to follow the rules listed or have an opinion? isn't that the point of a message board? 
    Also each board is a community, with its own vibes and attitude.   You won't fit in everwhere, just like I wont.
    I tried WTE and I found that I could not related now had tolerance for that board.  So nou know what? I didn't stay there.
  • Options
    rferg said:
    I got this app with my first pregnancy and I quit reading the discussions because people were so mean to each other. Instead I used the What to Expect app.  The board for my group was great (I still follow it and our babies are a year old) However, I know some of the other months did have problems; it just depends on the group of people.  I decided to give this app a chance again since it would be different people but it looks like some of the same stuff going on.  I will continue to use it for the info but just not use the discussion boards just like my last pregnancy. 

Ummmm, that's great for you???  I'm confused why you feel the need to tell everyone this.  If you don't want to participate or read the message boards, then simply don't, no need to tell us that we're all mean and have a farewell post.  I look at the WTE app every week to see the new info it has and have briefly perused the messages boards and they just aren't my style so I didn't go back.  Same with babycenter and glow, just not my tone of board.  I'm glad you found the tone you were looking for but there's no need to diss other groups just because they weren't your style. 
  • Options
    rferg said:

Ummmm, that's great for you???  I'm confused why you feel the need to tell everyone this.  If you don't want to participate or read the message boards, then simply don't, no need to tell us that we're all mean and have a farewell post.  I look at the WTE app every week to see the new info it has and have briefly perused the messages boards and they just aren't my style so I didn't go back.  Same with babycenter and glow, just not my tone of board.  I'm glad you found the tone you were looking for but there's no need to diss other groups just because they weren't your style. 
    June 16 BMB for life!!!! ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    SonyaL9 said:
    I think it's a shame that we can't get excited over different things, personally I couldn't care what my baby is when it comes out as I'm sure the original poster couldn't... However that doesn't mean to say when friends and family sit guessing or when I'm told certain cravings mean boy / girl etc or my partners family hasn't had a girl in years I don't get carried away in that curiousity! I've definitely completed a quiz or read some old wives tales.. Anyone would be an idiot to take them as gospel or fact but I don't see why would shoot down anyone's excitement or way of passing the time! If don't like or agree with the post, don't respond, saves hurting anyone or making them feel daft for starting an innocent post in first time preg excitement. 
    She can get excited all she wants. That doesn't means that I have to be excited. Our definition of 'fun' is very different.  

She can go to her friends and family, because they would care and may think it's fun. We are not her friends no family. 
    if you don't care, then why bother reading my post or commenting

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @rferg
     i totally agree people on here are mean to one another. like its fun for them. why do i feel like i just got into a highschool argument everytime i get on here?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @peggyolsonftw so she can tell you how MEAN you are