3rd Trimester

Delivery and Recovering

Just curious as a FTM, did any of you start thinking about what you'll need for after L&D? I bought a few things, but didn't want to go overboard. So far I bought a few pairs of really flowy pj sets that don't sit tight on the stomach in case I end up with a C-section, 2 nursing bras, nipple cream, scent free wipes and soft bath towels and wash clothes in case I tear and am sensitive down below. What am I missing, what do you lovely ladies plan on purchasing to help with the recovery process?

Re: Delivery and Recovering

• Giant pads (the hospital provided me with tons of them), dermoplast spray (trust me it'll be your saving grace, and ice packs. Oh, tucks or witch hazel pads were amazing as well. 
  • A robe! My LO was born early Dec and my DH got me a super soft, nice robe for Christmas. I have worn it literally everyday since for most of the time I am at home. Easy to nurse in, long and warm in the middle of the night, comfy-er than a sweatshirt. 

Also nursing tank tops if you might breastfeed. Love the Gilligan something-or-the-other brand from Target.
  • Loading the player...
  • Epsom salts for sits baths
    Padsicles - frozen pads for swelling
    Tylenol or Advil
    Tucks pads or witch hazel for hemmroids or swelling 
    I wore Depends as underwear for the first few days after, as well as on my way to the hospital
  • Also lots of easy to make, quick and healthy meals. You will be starving. 
  • I purchased always radiant flex foam pads- the long ones with the wings- for when I ran out of the hospital ones. They are AMAZING and i never leaked once (3weeks pp) 
    extra tucks pads, refreshing wipes
    we bought a ton of nutragrain bars, trail mix, snack cracker packs- you're going to have the serious munchies, especially if you're breastfeeding- and that stuff is easy to have bedside for middle of the night feedings. 
    I wouldn't spend the $$$ on nursing tanks, especially if you can find a good deal on regular camis
    bra pads for the leaking that will occur in your boobs
    i got a bunch of pairs of boyshorts to wear when home- they fit "sleeker" under my yoga pants.

• smn14smn14 member
    Breast pads, lots of maternity pads, nursing tops, nipple cream, button up pyjamas for night feeding 
  • The hospital will probably be able to supply you with a lot of the supplies listed so far-dermoplast, nipple soothies, giant pads, stool softener, cold packs, nipple shields, etc. I made some cloth pads for myself to because wearing plastic pads for 6 wks 24/7 (I bled for the whole 6 wks all 3 times) gets really uncomfortable. I also have my freezer packed with pre made breakfasts and dinners. I usually just wear maternity clothes for the first couple weeks post partum and button up pajamas a size up with nursing tanks. Nursing pads you will also want to stock up on.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I had my first women recommended soaking giant pads in witch hazel then freezing them. I didn't do it, but OMG I wish I did! I'm doing it this time. The cold and witch hazel will feel so good. You'll have a soggy butt but you won't care. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Ladies thank you all so much for this amazing advice and insight, I really appreciate it! Some of these things I never thought of so I will be sure to add them to my list of things to buy/do!!!!!
  • I bought a bunch o stuff in preparation. Then I had a csection and it all went to waste. The giant pads, witch hazel, etc. I left the hospital and was already done with bleeding. And I wore regular pajama pants with no issue with csection location. Don't get too prepared just in case it goes to waste. Amazon can get you just about anything in 2 days if necessary. Wish I'd have thought about that before buying the big pack of witch hazel pads and three packs of big pads. Oh and the hospital was askin me what I wanted to take home because j could take as much home as I wanted. I left almost everything there as it was unnecessaryfor me. 
  • I didn't buy anything before hand. I got extras of everything provided by the hospital. Extra large pads, puppy pad sized pads, dermoplast cans, tubs of tucks pads, peri bottles, mesh underwear, long instant ice packs. Honestly I ended up with enough crap for another postpartum experience. The only thing I had to buy was regular sized pads after a week. 
    Also, my nurses didn't recommend ice after 24 hours. 
  • kde4kde4 member
    Your list looks really good. I agree that the hospital will likely be able to provide anything else that's really important. The one thing I wish I had done more of was freezer meals. I was thankful for the few I had, but would have loved more if I had stocked up.

www.theydontfeedthemselves.com

My favorite activities and tips for surviving different phases with our twins!

• I had 4-5 nursing bras, 3 sleep nursing bras (I leaked a lot so I wanted to be able to just throw another one on), Colace, flannel/button up shirts, nursing tanks, nipple pads, Lanisoh, chapstick, Boppy, Always overnight pads, large boy short underwear, maxi dresses, loose fitting clothes, freezer meals....
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• I had 4-5 nursing bras, 3 sleep nursing bras (I leaked a lot so I wanted to be able to just throw another one on), Colace, flannel/button up shirts, nursing tanks, nipple pads, Lanisoh, chapstick, Boppy, Always overnight pads, large boy short underwear, maxi dresses, loose fitting clothes, freezer meals....
    What kind of nursing sleep bras did you get? I ordered one off of Amazon and the material seems super scratchy.
    What kind of nursing sleep bras did you get? I ordered one off of Amazon and the material seems super scratchy.
    Target has some super soft ones. I also got some from Zulily that are soft but the Target ones are my favorite.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• The hospital I delivered my first with provided me with giant hospital underwear, several pads, dermoplast, tucks wipes, a small thing of nipple cream, and unscented wipes. 
    Extra things I needed: more pads, another container of tucks, COLACE, and another thing of nipple cream (if you are breastfeeding). I plan on buying these things in the next week so I have them in advance.
  • So helpful! Thanks ladies! 
  • Everyone bleeds differently - I don't remember it being that bad for my first two. I always prefer thin pads with wings. I am a BIG fan of nursing tanks - easier to snap up and down than a Cami and I like having my belly covered up if I have to lift up my shirt. In the hospital I just wore the hospital gowns at night.
  • i bought a bunch of cheap underwear that could be destroyed & thrown away. i bled quite a bit after delivery & i ruined a couple pairs before thinking to go out & buy throw-away pairs. i wish it had occured to me to do this sooner :/